Music and D&D thread
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:27 am 

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but was there not a Dragon Magazine at one time that had a fairly good size article on albums and tracks that would be useful in certain situations. I cant remember which one but it was within the last 6 years or so. Please let me know if I am imagining things or if this did exist can someone remember the issue number.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:51 pm 

Marlith wrote:

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but was there not a Dragon Magazine at one time that had a fairly good size article on albums and tracks that would be useful in certain situations. I cant remember which one but it was within the last 6 years or so. Please let me know if I am imagining things or if this did exist can someone remember the issue number.

First, welcome to the forum  :)

No you're right. There is a Dragon with music lists to play to. I believe it was one of the first 3rd edition issues. I'll check when I go to the hall latter.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:22 am 

I would definitely have to agree with the Conan soundtrack.  Basil Pouledoris rocks.  Eerily reminiscent of Carl Orff.  I had a GM while playing Gamma World that insisted on Vangelis and Tangerine dream.  Music certainly enhances game play if used correctly.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:25 pm 

i just tend to use background music when i am DMing a game. i feel it just relaxes everyone and you can get stuck into the game well. a good DM sets the scene well enough anyway.

my fave stuff (and everyone playing in my game agrees) is a lot of medieval type of music...simple melodies but nice flowing music and we also like a lot of chinese percussion music...no vocals etc..

always good for my games but i guess everyone likes what they like :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:07 am 

I found this by total chance on a P2P program and was curious as to just what the heck it is. It's a solo accoustic guitar piece with male vocals. It's nice, but I've been on a hunt for the CD or anything else on it and found squat. The title is listed below along with a link.

Full File Title: D&D 3rd Edition - Music - Sardonyx - Grave Beyond The Stars (Mystical Fantasy Folk Filk Dungeons And Dragons Forgotten Realms).mp3

Linked File Sample: http://www.pendragon-entertainment.com/ ... 0Stars.mp3

I don't know if anyone has heard of it or knows anything about it but It seems to be from a set of sorts judging from the title. Although the Title seems a little odd. Any help would be great, but I still think this might just be some fake mis-titled file. Thanks

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:43 am 

Besides OST, I highly recommend records from Dead Can Dance (BTW they reunited some months ago  :P ) : the guy is from Ireland, and Lisa Gerrard from New Zeland, they use medieval or ethnic instruments. Medieval (for the first releases : Aion) or more 'ethnic' (the last records, with my favourite Into the labyrinth) : a very, very interesting band.

Never heard from Dead Can Dance ? Error, the first song of Gladiator OST is from by Lisa Gerrard ! Check.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:30 am 

Dead Can Dance is good stuff, Into The Labyrinth was their best, IMO.

Any album would do though, good stuff.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:16 pm 

This is a great site for everyone wanting to add some background to gaming or just for some great listening.  Very cool:

Radio Rivendell - The Fantasy Radio Station

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:31 am 

I finally found the issue of Dragon that had the soundtrack article. It was issue 275. Was not as big as I remembered it though. Still had an interesting selection of music suggested.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:36 pm 

Related-stuff-but-not-quite-what-you're-thinking-of Dept....

Y'know I DID write the sheet music included in early Dragonlance modules.

Don't think anybody's ever recorded them, tho. If anybody does I hope they ask me... I have definite ideas about the orchestration.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:41 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Related-stuff-but-not-quite-what-you're-thinking-of Dept....

Y'know I DID write the sheet music included in early Dragonlance modules.

Don't think anybody's ever recorded them, tho. If anybody does I hope they ask me... I have definite ideas about the orchestration.

OMG, I actually sang some of those for music at secondary school!

Just found this one on google from DL1 but can't get it to play (stupid computer):

404 - File or directory not found.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:24 pm 

In that theme, was the kender sea chanty one that was put to music? It's been so many years, I can't remember if I saw it one of the novels or a sourcebook, but iirc, Tas sings it in one of the books. Only line I can remember of it was "Any port in a storm"    (I know, I'm sure that helps immensely :P)   Sung that to myself for weeks after reading it, heh. Catchy little chanty.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:35 pm 

Winterwords wrote:Just found this one on google from DL1 but can't get it to play (stupid computer)

Naw, that one is from somebody else, written long after.

March of the Solamni knights, Wedding song, and others from the original DL series were my doing, the music at least; Mike Williams did all the lyrics for me to work with.

F

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:47 pm 

I followed the link and listened to the MIDI...pretty good!   :P

Riverwind and Goldmoon were two of the more compelling Dragonlance characters.    :wink:

I got tired of Kitiara.  Still, she was one of the first of a series of warrior women that followed in the 80's and 90's.  I think part of my dislike of Kitiara is that we are currently inundated with kick-boxing fem fatales.  I keep waiting for one of their inept male opponents to simply pause, take aim and shoot one of them with a cheap and rather unimpressive handgun.   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:00 pm 

If you are looking for background music for your games check out RPG Soundmixer. I downloaded the demo to play around with and it looks like it could be fun.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:34 am 

Check out the Lake of Tears song here:

:D

*puts the album on her Xmas list*

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:49 pm 

Winterwords wrote:Check out the Lake of Tears song here:

Now I am going to have to look for that album.  Really cool song!  Both Lake of Tears and Blind Guardian remind me of one of my all-time favorite groups:  Dream Theater.  Too bad the link for Nightwish isn't working for me at the moment.  :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:58 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:
Winterwords wrote:Check out the Lake of Tears song here:

Now I am going to have to look for that album. Really cool song! Both Lake of Tears and Blind Guardian remind me of one of my all-time favorite groups: Dream Theater. Too bad the link for Nightwish isn't working for me at the moment. :(

Both of them sound like 80's hair bands. :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext