A peek into Invincible’s Lair
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:32 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I know the feeling. We're from a galaxy far, far, away from today's youth.

Aw, that's not fair.  :)

I maybe be ONLY 29, but I love both my 1e, 2e, AND 3e stuff.

Just for different reasons. :D

BTW, what part of S. Fl are you in?

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:44 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:

Aw, that's not fair.    

I maybe be ONLY 29, but I love both my 1e, 2e, AND 3e stuff.

Just for different reasons.

I'm just playing around :P . I'm actuality playing in a 3rd Edition game right now (dodges dice, 2nd+ printings of the PHB, and lightest Forum member)

Alright…..I know say its not so 8O . We are having a lot of fun in the campaign though (A younger DM running a campaign in the Harn World setting) I am thinking of have some letters ironed on to an old T-shirt "Thac0 of 1" just to razz him during the games.

BTW, what part of S. Fl are you in?

Ft. Lauderdale, You?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:18 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I am thinking of have some letters ironed on to an old T-shirt "Thac0 of 1" just to razz him during the games.

Ft. Lauderdale, You?

I bet you that shirt would sell. :)

I live in Kendall, work in Miramar, and DO shop at Dragon's Lair, but not often as its 30min from my home.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:16 pm 

MrFilthyIke,

K-town about an hour from me. You from there originally? In my band days in the middle 90's, I had a lot of friends who lived there. Played shows in the grove and on the beach quite a bit.

Whats the game scene like in South Miami these days. Any cool stores to speak of? I know there's no short supply of kids being the Burbs of Miami. I remember years back going to a store called Lizards On Ice or something like that. Still around?

I got your PM, once the Halls up and running we'll have to hangout sometime. I read a recent post of your's looking for some Cheap OD&D books. Any luck so far? If not once we unpack I'll put togeather a little deal for you that will be easy on the wallet. Also what games do you play, and do you enjoy painting minitures?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:59 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:K-town about an hour from me. You from there originally? In my band days in the middle 90's, I had a lot of friends who lived there. Played shows in the grove and on the beach quite a bit.

Depends, only band people I knew in Kendall were John Barrett, Matt, Carlos (???) but not many.  I think John was in a band Level Nine or something.

Whats the game scene like in South Miami these days. Any cool stores to speak of? I know there's no short supply of kids being the Burbs of Miami. I remember years back going to a store called Lizards On Ice or something like that. Still around?

I think it's there but all card flopping. Dragon's Lair is where *I* go, so nothing worth your time.

I got your PM, once the Halls up and running we'll have to hangout sometime. I read a recent post of your's looking for some Cheap OD&D books. Any luck so far? If not once we unpack I'll put togeather a little deal for you that will be easy on the wallet. Also what games do you play, and do you enjoy painting minitures?

Sweet, I play EVERY rpg game, but not much of a wargamer.  My library covers 4 five shelf book shelves, and the minis a 5 drawer dresser.  :roll:
I compulsive w/ buying, but not a hardcore collector. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:27 pm 

That's funny I played a few shows with Level Nine "Kinda Rage Against the Machineish". The band I sang for was called Tension Hardcore/Punk type stuff. We played together on a few occasions at a place just south of downtown called Cheers, but I think it's a Sandwich shop now.

What High School did you attend? Killian?

Nothing but card-sharks ya say……Well so is the case in most communities. Our little hobby is starting to show a generation gap.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:08 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:That's funny I played a few shows with Level Nine "Kinda Rage Against the Machineish". The band I sang for was called Tension Hardcore/Punk type stuff. .

How small is S Florida, eh? :)  Only what, 3+ million people. :)

Did tension ever play at the Edge in Downtown Ft Laud?  If so, I might have an old cassette that was sold at a concert there.  Actually, I'm not at home, but that name sounds REAL familiar.

Well, card flopping and collectible stuff is very popular.  Just another version of "B3 with an orange cover?? IT MUST BE MINE!" ;)

But the prices on collecting D&D seems to keep it to an older crowd. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:05 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:

Did tension ever play at the Edge in Downtown Ft Laud? If so, I might have an old cassette that was sold at a concert there. Actually, I'm not at home, but that name sounds REAL familiar.

Yes, Tension did play the old "EDGE" in downtown Ft. Lauderdale on a few occasions. You may have one of our old Demo Tapes; does it have a yellow cover with a B&W print of a "revolutionary" throwing a rock at a Tank? How Punk-Rock can you get :lol: . If you have the 7" record it's worth a few $$$ to vinyl collectors.

Well, card flopping and collectible stuff is very popular. Just another version of "B3 with an orange cover?? IT MUST BE MINE!"

You are right; it is all in the "eye's" of the Beholder. I've seen some silly prices on a few of those cards. What's funny, and correct me if I'm wrong don't they then use the rare and valuable card in their deck? Sort of an Ace-in-the-Whole? or power card?

But the prices on collecting D&D seems to keep it to an older crowd.

True especially the rare and valuable. I got lucky and started collecting in the middle 90's right before the internet boom, and got a good amount of stuff "On the Cheap". I'm reposting a little story I posted awhile back so you get a better understanding of how it was just about 10 years back. Oh, they glory days of going to gamestores and used bookstores that "ALWAYS" produced gems.

I started a Thread awhile back called "D&D Barn finds and Tales from the Collecting Trail" after a conversation with Paul Stormber about this "Era" of collecting. We all had a few laughs with the Thread along the way as many posted some great collecting stories. It's worth a read.

invincible wrote:

I was just thinking about your trips across the country to old gamestores and used bookstores. I was a band manager in the summers of 96 - 98 and traveled from coast to coast. I too scavenged quite a bit during those summers, and one story stands out. I was in Normal, Illinois a mid-size collage town in the center of the state. We had some free time, so it was business as usual for me, find the gamestore or used bookstore. I came across the gamestore first and to my disappointment all the old items were in plastic and marked up accordingly. No big deal, I just took a look around talked to the owner and left. Upon leaving I caught up with a few of the other people on the tour just "two blocks away" at a small used bookstore. Just out of curiosity I asked the clerk if she had any old D&D stuff. Holy Cow! It was a whole shelf about four feet wide and loaded with multiples of first edition AD&D rulebooks and modules, a real nice 2nd print woody, 3 OCE's, and many rare titles I'd never heard of at the time. All the hardbacks and box sets were $5 and modules $1 or $2. Needless to say I cleared them out and still have almost all of it. The coolest thing in the lot was (and I had no idea what it was until the Acaeum) the 1976 in-house TSR character sheet pad only missing a few of the sheets. Funny enough I remember she just threw it in for free those were the days......

Link to the Thread:

about1256.html

If you guy's have anymore stories please post them I love to hear of a good find.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:18 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Yes, Tension did play the old "EDGE" in downtown Ft. Lauderdale on a few occasions. You may have one of our old Demo Tapes; does it have a yellow cover with a B&W print of a "revolutionary" throwing a rock at a Tank? How Punk-Rock can you get :lol: . If you have the 7" record it's worth a few $$$ to vinyl collectors.

It's a green cover, cassette.  Good stuff, that's why I bought it. Never was into vinyl. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:42 am 

Have you guys seen this thread on ENworld about the perfect gaming table? Amazing stuff... 8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:41 pm 

Projectors are nice, but REAL gamers use:

Page not found » Steam Crow

With private ares, speakers, and GM station and note passing, WHAT ELSE can you need??

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:06 am 

8O Very cool 8) Thanks for posting both of these. It made my day to know we're not the only crazy's. :lol:  

I've got my mind on the PotVQ and about to post, but when I get a little time I'll fill you guy's in on the plans for the new Hall. You're going to lose it :!: . We're also planning to host a Florida Acaeum and Dwarven Forge Forum get-together as sort of an open house to talk shop much like the North Texas Gathering. I'll post an update on this latter; it's just in the planning stage. We're sort of joking about it in a serious way as we're working on the place.

I'm the one who's all for it. :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:52 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I'm the one who's all for it. :wink:

Cool, keep us informed.  8)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:23 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:8O Very cool 8) Thanks for posting both of these. It made my day to know we're not the only crazy's. :lol:

I've got my mind on the PotVQ and about to post, but when I get a little time I'll fill you guy's in on the plans for the new Hall. You're going to lose it :!: . We're also planning to host a Florida Acaeum and Dwarven Forge Forum get-together as sort of an open house to talk shop much like the North Texas Gathering. I'll post an update on this latter; it's just in the planning stage. We're sort of joking about it in a serious way as we're working on the place.

I'm the one who's all for it. :wink:

The North Texas Acaeum Members are going to have our second get together this coming Saturday.

I dare say our little get together will include nothing like your get together doubtless will....  We should be so lucky as to have someone in our area with as much dedication to a true gaming atmosphere as you (and your compatriots) obviously have.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:11 am 

Hi Invincible,

I sent you a PM but never heard back. Just wondering what's the name of the sound editing software you use. Also, could you give the specs on the equipment you are using for your system.

I am just getting started on a setup and would appreciate advice from a veteran. I will most likely be using Sound Forge for the software. Where did you get so many sounds? I only have a few so far. I must not be looking in the right places.

Has anyone else out there tried this? It seems like it could make a huge difference in the quality of a session if done right. If not, it could get in the way and backfire by taking too much of the DM's attention away from the action.

Thanks,
Phaedran

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:24 pm 

Phaedran,

I did get your PM, please forgive me as I've been swamped lately.

The software we've been using is called "The Creative Sound Studio" By "Creative". It's an external sound manager for mixing different sounds and playing them in real time, or say mixing, Heavy-Rain, Gusting-Wind, Creaking-Boards and Crashing-Waves to produce the sound of being aboard a ship at sea. Then save and title it as such and then edit it for a nice seamless loop. This is how we've managed to categorize so many sounds from I think about 10 or so sound CD's, like Halloween Noises, Medieval Sounds, and general sound effect CD's. These can be had for short money ($5 - $10) at say Borders or Barns and Nobles.

Has anyone else out there tried this? It seems like it could make a huge difference in the quality of a session if done right. If not, it could get in the way and backfire by taking too much of the DM's attention away from the action.

This statement can't be truer. If you are going to do it, do it right.  Otherwise just make crazy sound effects by mouth :lol: . Your game will run smother 8O .

Seriously though, I've run some on-the-fly games without doing the sound prep before the game, and just found myself fumbling. But the games where I take a few minutes and prepared my sound files, levels, and saved it as one template for the night's game; the experience is a blast. And no fumbling around trying to find and launch sounds. It's all right there keyed-up ready at the tap of your mouse.

I hope this helps.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:22 pm 

Hey IO---

Have you thought about formally creating a non-profit organization for your rpg museum?  If so, folks would be able to donate to your collection and get tax deductions for the value of the donation, you could hold charity balls, get guest speakers like EGG, RJK, DA, do exhibits at GenCon, Origins, DragonCon, DunDraCon, etc., etc.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:11 am 

grodog wrote:Hey IO---

Have you thought about formally creating a non-profit organization for your rpg museum? If so, folks would be able to donate to your collection and get tax deductions for the value of the donation, you could hold charity balls, get guest speakers like EGG, RJK, DA, do exhibits at GenCon, Origins, DragonCon, DunDraCon, etc., etc.

8O

Well, I think this is one HELL of an idea!!!

:idea:  :idea:  :idea:

Tax deductions for RPG?

Terrific! Gorgeous! Fantastic!
Too bad I live in Italy.

ROTFLMFAO

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  
PreviousNext