A peek into Invincible’s Lair
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 41, 2, 3, 4
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:40 pm 
 

:twisted: Welcome to the world of the white line nightmare!  :twisted:

Over the holiday I finished my set of road warrior miniatures and some of the photos came out very cool, so I thought I'd share. This has been one of the hardest sets of miniatures to create seeing there is little in the way of scale figures in this category. Most of the miniatures are old Shadow Run or converted Hero Clix's. I was lucky to find the motorcycles from a company called Fenryll through Dragglestown.com, and the cars and rigs are converted and repainted toys from the local toy store's discount bin.

We're play testing using D20 modern rules with a supplement called Red Line (designed for apocalyptic road wars) which is fine for this kind of game/campaign. The play testing has lead to some of the deadliest combat I've seen. Fighting on top of moving vehicles doing 100 + MPH is insane! So much can happen in one round, dexterity, dodge, and driving checks are common in addition to you're normal move. For example; every time you get hit while fighting on top of a moving vehicle you have to make a dex check or fall off. Then if you do live, now you run the risk of being run over if you fail a dodge……its crazy!

So do you have what it takes to battle for a tank full of juice?...  :twisted:  

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Fenryll miniatures link:

http://www.dragglestown.com/cgi-bin/miv ... _Code=FENF


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:18 pm 
 

I know the whole gang is in an uproar about Aneoth's S&H overcharge conversation gone crazy, I've been reading along :P . I just got charged $13.50 S&H on a $5 plaster castle….but it does way 10 pounds. 8O  

Well here's some good news! Pete also an Acaeum member (just a lurker not a poster :wink: ) and I have become good friends over the last few months. He too is a property developer way into D&D and miniature painting. He also has taken the idea of our game-hall/museum to heart and is now calibrating with us for the final plans, as well as donating 250 well painted mins and about 4 feet of 1st and 2nd edition books to the library, Thanks Pete! :D  We are so excited about this project, and are currently looking for a secure 1500 to 2000 sq foot warehouse space to house our plans.

So things are on the move and the motivation is high. Ill post some floor plans and pics of the space once we've made our decision about the location.

BTW are there any other Florida Acaeum members?


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:42 am 
 

Hi guys it's been awhile, I've just been real busy with work and I've been playing hooky over at the Dwarven Forge Website Forum. We've been in a painting phase painting accessories for our Master-Maze and Sci-Fi sets. It's Lots of fun posting pics and coming up with new uses for the models. A bunch of cool guys as well.



Also, its finnaly official the crew has just purchased a 1200 square foot home to house our growing collection :D . I've been ranting about this for over a year now, since our current location, be it two dedicated rooms is completely overflowing. Our original plan was to be open to the public as a game-hall/museum with cheap membership, but the rising land value here in Florida prompted us to purchase a property as apposed to paying rent in a strip mall. Also our plan was to locate next to the "Dragon's Lair Games" here in our county. The problem with that is that the local gamestores have become after school daycare centers for screaming Magic-the-Gathering card playing kids. And there's two problems with that; first, screaming kids, and second our collection is enormous containing not only many rare and valuable RPG books and modules, but also landmark manuscripts and unique irreplaceable items that we'd like to have on display. We wouldn't want to alienate the youngsters, but lets be honest in that kind of environment we'd have to and I hate being the bad guy. It would be like opening a candy store and telling the kids no :?



So this is the better move, sound investment and complete control not only of our valuables but the environment. We will however have guests over to game, paint, or just hang out. We also have plans for a web-site in the future.



As for the Timothy M. Jiardini auction we got lucky and picked up quite a few little gems, and I'm really excited about the D&D 1974 proof copy :) . I messed up my snipe on the Dungeoneer #1 :oops: , and that thing got away cheap at $32. Nice win otherworld! :D ........And as for the question on everyone's mind $1,500 for a first print Players! 8O Signed, first one, whatever…I know it's crazy! :lol: The $1,250 bid with 15 mins to go kinda set the tone. We had also had our eye on the Orange B3, but we felt it was a little pricy at $900+. Anyone have an opinion on this?



So we sort of last minute decided to direct the funds towards the Players. I had kinda figured it would go for around a grand, but again that $1,250 upped the stakes, and we just decided to go for it. It would be a choice piece for the collection. The one thing that is cool is that Paul's auctions are becoming the Christies Auction House of the E&Dbay, so these one-of-a-kind items have a lot of validity in our collecting circle, and will grow even stronger in the future I'm sure. I'm not saying that makes it worth anymore or even what we paid for it; it's just nice to have some stability and again validity to these more unique items. Again, thanks for all your hard work Paul.



The Game Hall Project is completely underway, all the demo and re-modeling of walls have been completed. The whole project will take about two months including the move which will be a monster in itself. I'll post some pics once we finish it up. 8)


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:28 am 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:As for the Timothy M. Jiardini auction we got lucky and picked up quite a few little gems, and I'm really excited about the D&D 1974 proof copy :) . I messed up my snipe on the Dungeoneer #1 :oops: , and that thing got away cheap at $32. Nice win otherworld! :D ........And as for the question on everyone's mind $1,500 for a first print Players! 8O Signed, first one, whatever…I know it's crazy! :lol: The $1,250 bid with 15 mins to go kinda set the tone. We had also had our eye on the Orange B3, but we felt it was a little pricy at $900+. Anyone have an opinion on this?



Only because you asked:  I think the B3 was the more sensible of the bids.  I mean, sure, someone can say it's the first PHB ever, and it probably is, but I don't know how you'd ever prove that to someone else.  There's no denying that the B3 is orange.   :wink:

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:00 am 
 

I agree that the B-3 was the most realistic bid amount to my thinking at least. I think that $900, plus was not too much for the B-3 at all.



Watching the final moments of the PHB auction was simply an amazing experience for me as $1,500 for the 'first PHB ever sold' seemed beyond the realm of reality to me.



I would much rather have spent that much on a Minty SW B-3, or a Minty SW ST-1, and may very well have done so, if I had funds available.



My opinions are of course worth less to others, but they are all mine nonetheless.... :wink:


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 13, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:15 am 
 

Come on guys, its the first PHB ever, unique item.  $1500.00 is probably cheap!!


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:46 am 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:


Also, its finnaly official the crew has just purchased a 1200 square foot home to house our growing collection :D . I've been ranting about this for over a year now, since our current location, be it two dedicated rooms is completely overflowing. Our original plan was to be open to the public as a game-hall/museum with cheap membership, but the rising land value here in Florida prompted us to purchase a property as apposed to paying rent in a strip mall. Also our plan was to locate next to the "Dragon's Lair Games" here in our county. The problem with that is that the local gamestores have become after school daycare centers for screaming Magic-the-Gathering card playing kids. And there's two problems with that; first, screaming kids, and second our collection is enormous containing not only many rare and valuable RPG books and modules, but also landmark manuscripts and unique irreplaceable items that we'd like to have on display. We wouldn't want to alienate the youngsters, but lets be honest in that kind of environment we'd have to and I hate being the bad guy. It would be like opening a candy store and telling the kids no :?







Keep the kiddies away from the good stuff, they wouldn't appreciate it anyway.  It's nice to think everyone would appreciate your great collection but I have a feeling it takes a certain generation of gamer (of which most on this forum belong to) to really get a kick out of your goodies.  I have mental pictures of a bunch of early teen slackers with their eyes glazed over checking out the 1st PHB going "Dude, where's the kewl spiked armor, elf babes wit big boobs, and color pictures?"



Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:03 pm 
 

The B3 went for a very reasonable price; I was expecting it to top $1,000 easy and go for around $1,200.  

I also screwed up my snipe for Dungeoneer #1 and that one went for a steal.  

I don't really see the appeal of the 1st Player's Handbook ever sold, especially since the condition wasn't very good.  But it's different strokes for different folks...  :D  Good to see IO back on the boards.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:20 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Hi guys it's been awhile,


Heya, Mike! Been wondering what's up... :P



invincibleoverlord wrote:As for the Timothy M. Jiardini auction we got lucky and picked up quite a few little gems, and I'm really excited about the D&D 1974 proof copy :) . I messed up my snipe on the Dungeoneer #1 :oops: , and that thing got away cheap at $32. Nice win otherworld! :D ........And as for the question on everyone's mind $1,500 for a first print Players! 8O Signed, first one, whatever…I know it's crazy! :lol: The $1,250 bid with 15 mins to go kinda set the tone. We had also had our eye on the Orange B3, but we felt it was a little pricy at $900+. Anyone have an opinion on this?


*g*. Get the feeling I should have offered Tim a lot more for his PHB before he told Paul about it! Couldn't justify that at the time, alas. :(

Not-so-Recent Fun Finds • Page 19 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum



From a "museum" (and personal) perspective the PHB is a better "pick", IMHO, even if that was a very serious price. Very difficult to know what to say 'bout one-offs...



Would have been very tempted by the orange B3 at $650-700 because it wasn't sealed in SW; but not at $900+. Agree with you on that call (ignoring the quantity of money involved), since we both know there are another few copies around.



That markup copy for the 2nd print M&T is cute. Pity it doesn't have loads of other correction marks throughout the text, too ;)

...And the copy of Dungeoneer #1 definitely got away cheap (even more so, relative to some of the other prices). Heh.



invincibleoverlord wrote:The Game Hall Project is completely underway, all the demo and re-modeling of walls have been completed. The whole project will take about two months including the move which will be a monster in itself. I'll post some pics once we finish it up. 8)


Looking forward to seeing those. 8)



aside: Any luck with that 1st Chainmail, yet?

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 pm 
 

dathon wrote:I don't really see the appeal of the 1st Player's Handbook ever sold, especially since the condition wasn't very good.


Since the book has to be open to display the inscription/signature, the condition of the covers isn't so important, IMHO.



(Mark me down as not being in the "condition-obsessive" camp, anyhow).

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:38 pm 
 

Forgot to say something else. I would be happy and proud to have that First Ever sold PHB in my own collection... if I could afford it that is.... :)


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:23 pm 
 

Deimos wrote:



Only because you asked: I think the B3 was the more sensible of the bids. I mean, sure, someone can say it's the first PHB ever, and it probably is, but I don't know how you'd ever prove that to someone else. There's no denying that the B3 is orange.




I guess $900 was sensible, but I wonder what I would have had to bid to take it away. Notice the bidding order "t-bax $889.90, giorgiobarilli $900, t-bax $910" I wonder what his reserve was? Then of course there were the other guns I was taking into consideration that I'm sure had their eye on this gem. It just didn't feel like the right time for us. BTW didn't Frank sell his SW Orange B3 for $800? That's the last one I remember.



Aneoth wrote:



I would much rather have spent that much on a Minty SW B-3, or a Minty SW ST-1, and may very well have done so, if I had funds available.




Yes, the funds would have been "safer" "invested" in these more established collectors' items. But there is something to be said about the First Player's Handbook with the validity of Paul's auctions.



BTW, how are things in Texas? You guys planning anymore meetings? I'd consider coming once the weather is warmer.



Blackmoor wrote:



Come on guys, its the first PHB ever, unique item. $1500.00 is probably cheap!!




Agreed considering most of the top 10 rares "value wise" top $1000 regularly, I'd say a unique with this importance should be valued at the same or higher.



Badmike wrote:



Keep the kiddies away from the good stuff, they wouldn't appreciate it anyway. It's nice to think everyone would appreciate your great collection but I have a feeling it takes a certain generation of gamer (of which most on this forum belong to) to really get a kick out of your goodies. I have mental pictures of a bunch of early teen slackers with their eyes glazed over checking out the 1st PHB going "Dude, where's the kewl spiked armor, elf babes wit big boobs, and color pictures?"




I know the feeling. We're from a galaxy far, far, away from today's youth.



Dathon wrote:



The B3 went for a very reasonable price; I was expecting it to top $1,000 easy and go for around $1,200.

I also screwed up my snipe for Dungeoneer #1 and that one went for a steal.

I don't really see the appeal of the 1st Player's Handbook ever sold, especially since the condition wasn't very good. But it's different strokes for different folks...  Good to see IO back on the boards.




That Dungeoneer #1 got away as a steal, especially addressed to an industry alum.



Harami wrote:



Heya, Mike! Been wondering what's up...




I missed you too, I had been asking about you like crazy awhile back, I guess you'd taken a hiatus like myself for awhile.



aside: Any luck with that 1st Chainmail, yet?




No such luck, I waited on The Mysterious Merlin e-mails and such, but got no reply. We're still in the market. I should have been a little quicker on Aneoth's copy. Who ended up with it anyway? Or should I not ask.


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:39 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:BTW didn't Frank sell his SW Orange B3 for $800? That's the last one I remember.


Would have been there or thereabouts, I think. *checks with Frank*.

Hence my $650-700 comment, with personal resistance increasing above $750, I'd guess. Was academic under the circumstances.



invincibleoverlord wrote:I missed you too, I had been asking about you like crazy awhile back, I guess you'd taken a hiatus like myself for awhile.


"Revolving door". Ya know how it is! ;)



invincibleoverlord wrote:
harami2000 wrote:aside: Any luck with that 1st Chainmail, yet?


No such luck, I waited on The Mysterious Merlin e-mails and such, but got no reply. We're still in the market. I should have been a little quicker on Aneoth's copy. Who ended up with it anyway? Or should I not ask.


Scott <foulfoot>. Have seen the scan from when Frank had it. It's a very nice looking copy... :D

I was way too slow, as well, but it sounded like "swaps" was the name of the game anyhow; and I had little to offer on that front. :(



Hrmm.... Hang on in there, Mike. It only takes one "lucky strike". :)

You're not missing that many other items on the "pick" list and some of the rarer ones you've got are beauts.





No plans to "upgrade" from the 1st Chainmail I finally picked up, last month.

Not-so-Recent Fun Finds • Page 22 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

*

Had a bit of a chuckle to myself when a Valuation Board member told me the name on the cover automatically reduced the "value" by 65-70%.

Personally, I don't care, since they were one of Dave Arneson's original group and later (1974!) a game designer for TSR in their own right.

Give me the "history", any day, rather than a boring "clean" copy... 8)



=

[EDIT: add "... up to a point" to that last sentence, following ribbing by John Huckerby re. "Bill Edwards" :?]

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:13 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Hi guys it's been awhile




Yes it has, missed you around here. :D   I was afraid you picked up and left after the whole Maxwell debacle in February.   :evil:  



I must say about the B3, it actually went for a lot more than I though it would as well because of the fact that it was sans shrink. I had seriously considered makingf a run at it myself if it stayed in the $600.00 range, but I personally just was not prepared to pay more than that for an opened copy. As far as the PHB goes I think that it is tough to asses the true value of it, because that is definitely a sheer case of "beauty being in the eye of the beholder"  Even if I had the money to drop $1,500.00 on it myself, I do not think that I would have.  On the other side of that, there is no way I would criticize that figure because of the fact it is such a unique item and it comes form a very legitimate source,  that I can certainly understand the great desire to own it.  Just my .02


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:32 am 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I know the feeling. We're from a galaxy far, far, away from today's youth.




Aw, that's not fair.  :)



I maybe be ONLY 29, but I love both my 1e, 2e, AND 3e stuff.



Just for different reasons. :D



BTW, what part of S. Fl are you in?


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:44 pm 
 

MrFilthyIke wrote:



Aw, that's not fair.    



I maybe be ONLY 29, but I love both my 1e, 2e, AND 3e stuff.



Just for different reasons.




I'm just playing around :P . I'm actuality playing in a 3rd Edition game right now (dodges dice, 2nd+ printings of the PHB, and lightest Forum member)



Alright…..I know say its not so 8O . We are having a lot of fun in the campaign though (A younger DM running a campaign in the Harn World setting) I am thinking of have some letters ironed on to an old T-shirt "Thac0 of 1" just to razz him during the games.



BTW, what part of S. Fl are you in?




Ft. Lauderdale, You?


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:18 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I am thinking of have some letters ironed on to an old T-shirt "Thac0 of 1" just to razz him during the games.

Ft. Lauderdale, You?




I bet you that shirt would sell. :)



I live in Kendall, work in Miramar, and DO shop at Dragon's Lair, but not often as its 30min from my home.


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:16 pm 
 

MrFilthyIke,

K-town about an hour from me. You from there originally? In my band days in the middle 90's, I had a lot of friends who lived there. Played shows in the grove and on the beach quite a bit.

Whats the game scene like in South Miami these days. Any cool stores to speak of? I know there's no short supply of kids being the Burbs of Miami. I remember years back going to a store called Lizards On Ice or something like that. Still around?

I got your PM, once the Halls up and running we'll have to hangout sometime. I read a recent post of your's looking for some Cheap OD&D books. Any luck so far? If not once we unpack I'll put togeather a little deal for you that will be easy on the wallet. Also what games do you play, and do you enjoy painting minitures?


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:59 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:K-town about an hour from me. You from there originally? In my band days in the middle 90's, I had a lot of friends who lived there. Played shows in the grove and on the beach quite a bit.


Depends, only band people I knew in Kendall were John Barrett, Matt, Carlos (???) but not many.  I think John was in a band Level Nine or something.

Whats the game scene like in South Miami these days. Any cool stores to speak of? I know there's no short supply of kids being the Burbs of Miami. I remember years back going to a store called Lizards On Ice or something like that. Still around?


I think it's there but all card flopping. Dragon's Lair is where *I* go, so nothing worth your time.

I got your PM, once the Halls up and running we'll have to hangout sometime. I read a recent post of your's looking for some Cheap OD&D books. Any luck so far? If not once we unpack I'll put togeather a little deal for you that will be easy on the wallet. Also what games do you play, and do you enjoy painting minitures?


Sweet, I play EVERY rpg game, but not much of a wargamer.  My library covers 4 five shelf book shelves, and the minis a 5 drawer dresser.  :roll:
I compulsive w/ buying, but not a hardcore collector. :)


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:27 pm 
 

That's funny I played a few shows with Level Nine "Kinda Rage Against the Machineish". The band I sang for was called Tension Hardcore/Punk type stuff. We played together on a few occasions at a place just south of downtown called Cheers, but I think it's a Sandwich shop now.

What High School did you attend? Killian?

Nothing but card-sharks ya say……Well so is the case in most communities. Our little hobby is starting to show a generation gap.


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 41, 2, 3, 4