A peek into Invincible’s Lair
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:08 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Does anyone remember the Trivi Athion in 96? The free handout at game stores where you answered questions on one side, and mailed it in to win a trip to GenCon. The other side had a complete TSR- D&D product list to date on the back. This is where my collecting took off.

The checklist is, indeed, a collector's dream. I have multiple copies myself (one to keep, one to write all over).

Also, a warning to would-be purchasers: although the checklist originally came with Dragon #227 (March 1996), most copies of this issue I've seen on eBay do not contain the checklist. Be sure to ask the seller about this very specifically, especially if you don't see a big red poster-looking thing anywhere in the photo.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:18 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:... most copies of this issue I've seen on eBay do not contain the checklist.

Okay, I'm quoting myself; I'm a big loser.

Anyway, I don't want to see any Acaeum users get burned, so I thought I'd follow up on my previous comment. I just checked eBay and found three copies of #227 available: two almost assuredly do not contain the checklist and the third is a question mark (it's shrinkwrapped, but I'm still leery).

So, again, be cautious when pursuing this item, or else your face will look like this ...  8O ... when you open your package and don't see a checklist.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:03 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:

. most copies of this issue I've seen on eBay do not contain the checklist.

Weren't these also free at selected stores? I remember getting mine (actually 2 or 3) from a stack at the local game store. Maybe it had to do with no purchase necessary laws for contests? You're right about the #227, I just checked and yes the Trivi-Athion is there. Funny I never noticed it with #227 or I just never thought about it.  :?

BTW did any of you guys other then Rich whose already stated try to answer the questions on this bad boy? For those who know what I'm talking about you know the insanity of some of those questions. Maybe we should start a thread to try and collectively answer some of the baffling riddles pawned of as normal D&D trivia questions.  :lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:31 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I've spoken about automating our game room. The boy's at Atari said they'd give me a hand and upgraded my old 2600 into a badass machine :lol:  

are you kidding me  :lol: it looks like a 70's sci-fi TV set. my friend sent me this pic. Is this a joke or did it really exsist?  :lol:

LOL thats cool. The Atari 8000 has been the running gag back when Ataris were still being sold/produced. The name comes from an old DC (?) comic called Atari Force where the super mainframe computer was called Atari 8000. That pic was taken from this site here:

Atari Museum Home Page (click on "About...")

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:40 pm 

:twisted: Welcome to the world of the white line nightmare!  :twisted:

Over the holiday I finished my set of road warrior miniatures and some of the photos came out very cool, so I thought I'd share. This has been one of the hardest sets of miniatures to create seeing there is little in the way of scale figures in this category. Most of the miniatures are old Shadow Run or converted Hero Clix's. I was lucky to find the motorcycles from a company called Fenryll through Dragglestown.com, and the cars and rigs are converted and repainted toys from the local toy store's discount bin.

We're play testing using D20 modern rules with a supplement called Red Line (designed for apocalyptic road wars) which is fine for this kind of game/campaign. The play testing has lead to some of the deadliest combat I've seen. Fighting on top of moving vehicles doing 100 + MPH is insane! So much can happen in one round, dexterity, dodge, and driving checks are common in addition to you're normal move. For example; every time you get hit while fighting on top of a moving vehicle you have to make a dex check or fall off. Then if you do live, now you run the risk of being run over if you fail a dodge……its crazy!

So do you have what it takes to battle for a tank full of juice?...  :twisted:  

Fenryll miniatures link:

http://www.dragglestown.com/cgi-bin/miv ... _Code=FENF

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:18 pm 

I know the whole gang is in an uproar about Aneoth's S&H overcharge conversation gone crazy, I've been reading along :P . I just got charged $13.50 S&H on a $5 plaster castle….but it does way 10 pounds. 8O  

Well here's some good news! Pete also an Acaeum member (just a lurker not a poster :wink: ) and I have become good friends over the last few months. He too is a property developer way into D&D and miniature painting. He also has taken the idea of our game-hall/museum to heart and is now calibrating with us for the final plans, as well as donating 250 well painted mins and about 4 feet of 1st and 2nd edition books to the library, Thanks Pete! :D  We are so excited about this project, and are currently looking for a secure 1500 to 2000 sq foot warehouse space to house our plans.

So things are on the move and the motivation is high. Ill post some floor plans and pics of the space once we've made our decision about the location.

BTW are there any other Florida Acaeum members?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:42 am 

Hi guys it's been awhile, I've just been real busy with work and I've been playing hooky over at the Dwarven Forge Website Forum. We've been in a painting phase painting accessories for our Master-Maze and Sci-Fi sets. It's Lots of fun posting pics and coming up with new uses for the models. A bunch of cool guys as well.

Also, its finnaly official the crew has just purchased a 1200 square foot home to house our growing collection :D . I've been ranting about this for over a year now, since our current location, be it two dedicated rooms is completely overflowing. Our original plan was to be open to the public as a game-hall/museum with cheap membership, but the rising land value here in Florida prompted us to purchase a property as apposed to paying rent in a strip mall. Also our plan was to locate next to the "Dragon's Lair Games" here in our county. The problem with that is that the local gamestores have become after school daycare centers for screaming Magic-the-Gathering card playing kids. And there's two problems with that; first, screaming kids, and second our collection is enormous containing not only many rare and valuable RPG books and modules, but also landmark manuscripts and unique irreplaceable items that we'd like to have on display. We wouldn't want to alienate the youngsters, but lets be honest in that kind of environment we'd have to and I hate being the bad guy. It would be like opening a candy store and telling the kids no :?

So this is the better move, sound investment and complete control not only of our valuables but the environment. We will however have guests over to game, paint, or just hang out. We also have plans for a web-site in the future.

As for the Timothy M. Jiardini auction we got lucky and picked up quite a few little gems, and I'm really excited about the D&D 1974 proof copy :) . I messed up my snipe on the Dungeoneer #1 :oops: , and that thing got away cheap at $32. Nice win otherworld! :D ........And as for the question on everyone's mind $1,500 for a first print Players! 8O Signed, first one, whatever…I know it's crazy! :lol: The $1,250 bid with 15 mins to go kinda set the tone. We had also had our eye on the Orange B3, but we felt it was a little pricy at $900+. Anyone have an opinion on this?

So we sort of last minute decided to direct the funds towards the Players. I had kinda figured it would go for around a grand, but again that $1,250 upped the stakes, and we just decided to go for it. It would be a choice piece for the collection. The one thing that is cool is that Paul's auctions are becoming the Christies Auction House of the E&Dbay, so these one-of-a-kind items have a lot of validity in our collecting circle, and will grow even stronger in the future I'm sure. I'm not saying that makes it worth anymore or even what we paid for it; it's just nice to have some stability and again validity to these more unique items. Again, thanks for all your hard work Paul.

The Game Hall Project is completely underway, all the demo and re-modeling of walls have been completed. The whole project will take about two months including the move which will be a monster in itself. I'll post some pics once we finish it up. 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:28 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:As for the Timothy M. Jiardini auction we got lucky and picked up quite a few little gems, and I'm really excited about the D&D 1974 proof copy :) . I messed up my snipe on the Dungeoneer #1 :oops: , and that thing got away cheap at $32. Nice win otherworld! :D ........And as for the question on everyone's mind $1,500 for a first print Players! 8O Signed, first one, whatever…I know it's crazy! :lol: The $1,250 bid with 15 mins to go kinda set the tone. We had also had our eye on the Orange B3, but we felt it was a little pricy at $900+. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Only because you asked:  I think the B3 was the more sensible of the bids.  I mean, sure, someone can say it's the first PHB ever, and it probably is, but I don't know how you'd ever prove that to someone else.  There's no denying that the B3 is orange.   :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:00 am 

I agree that the B-3 was the most realistic bid amount to my thinking at least. I think that $900, plus was not too much for the B-3 at all.

Watching the final moments of the PHB auction was simply an amazing experience for me as $1,500 for the 'first PHB ever sold' seemed beyond the realm of reality to me.

I would much rather have spent that much on a Minty SW B-3, or a Minty SW ST-1, and may very well have done so, if I had funds available.

My opinions are of course worth less to others, but they are all mine nonetheless.... :wink:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:15 am 

Come on guys, its the first PHB ever, unique item.  $1500.00 is probably cheap!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:46 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:

Also, its finnaly official the crew has just purchased a 1200 square foot home to house our growing collection :D . I've been ranting about this for over a year now, since our current location, be it two dedicated rooms is completely overflowing. Our original plan was to be open to the public as a game-hall/museum with cheap membership, but the rising land value here in Florida prompted us to purchase a property as apposed to paying rent in a strip mall. Also our plan was to locate next to the "Dragon's Lair Games" here in our county. The problem with that is that the local gamestores have become after school daycare centers for screaming Magic-the-Gathering card playing kids. And there's two problems with that; first, screaming kids, and second our collection is enormous containing not only many rare and valuable RPG books and modules, but also landmark manuscripts and unique irreplaceable items that we'd like to have on display. We wouldn't want to alienate the youngsters, but lets be honest in that kind of environment we'd have to and I hate being the bad guy. It would be like opening a candy store and telling the kids no :?

Keep the kiddies away from the good stuff, they wouldn't appreciate it anyway.  It's nice to think everyone would appreciate your great collection but I have a feeling it takes a certain generation of gamer (of which most on this forum belong to) to really get a kick out of your goodies.  I have mental pictures of a bunch of early teen slackers with their eyes glazed over checking out the 1st PHB going "Dude, where's the kewl spiked armor, elf babes wit big boobs, and color pictures?"

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:03 pm 

The B3 went for a very reasonable price; I was expecting it to top $1,000 easy and go for around $1,200.  

I also screwed up my snipe for Dungeoneer #1 and that one went for a steal.  

I don't really see the appeal of the 1st Player's Handbook ever sold, especially since the condition wasn't very good.  But it's different strokes for different folks...  :D  Good to see IO back on the boards.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:20 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Hi guys it's been awhile,

Heya, Mike! Been wondering what's up... :P

invincibleoverlord wrote:As for the Timothy M. Jiardini auction we got lucky and picked up quite a few little gems, and I'm really excited about the D&D 1974 proof copy :) . I messed up my snipe on the Dungeoneer #1 :oops: , and that thing got away cheap at $32. Nice win otherworld! :D ........And as for the question on everyone's mind $1,500 for a first print Players! 8O Signed, first one, whatever…I know it's crazy! :lol: The $1,250 bid with 15 mins to go kinda set the tone. We had also had our eye on the Orange B3, but we felt it was a little pricy at $900+. Anyone have an opinion on this?

*g*. Get the feeling I should have offered Tim a lot more for his PHB before he told Paul about it! Couldn't justify that at the time, alas. :(

Not-so-Recent Fun Finds • Page 19 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

From a "museum" (and personal) perspective the PHB is a better "pick", IMHO, even if that was a very serious price. Very difficult to know what to say 'bout one-offs...

Would have been very tempted by the orange B3 at $650-700 because it wasn't sealed in SW; but not at $900+. Agree with you on that call (ignoring the quantity of money involved), since we both know there are another few copies around.

That markup copy for the 2nd print M&T is cute. Pity it doesn't have loads of other correction marks throughout the text, too ;)

...And the copy of Dungeoneer #1 definitely got away cheap (even more so, relative to some of the other prices). Heh.

invincibleoverlord wrote:The Game Hall Project is completely underway, all the demo and re-modeling of walls have been completed. The whole project will take about two months including the move which will be a monster in itself. I'll post some pics once we finish it up. 8)

Looking forward to seeing those. 8)

aside: Any luck with that 1st Chainmail, yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 pm 

dathon wrote:I don't really see the appeal of the 1st Player's Handbook ever sold, especially since the condition wasn't very good.

Since the book has to be open to display the inscription/signature, the condition of the covers isn't so important, IMHO.

(Mark me down as not being in the "condition-obsessive" camp, anyhow).

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:38 pm 

Forgot to say something else. I would be happy and proud to have that First Ever sold PHB in my own collection... if I could afford it that is.... :)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:23 pm 

Deimos wrote:

Only because you asked: I think the B3 was the more sensible of the bids. I mean, sure, someone can say it's the first PHB ever, and it probably is, but I don't know how you'd ever prove that to someone else. There's no denying that the B3 is orange.

I guess $900 was sensible, but I wonder what I would have had to bid to take it away. Notice the bidding order "t-bax $889.90, giorgiobarilli $900, t-bax $910" I wonder what his reserve was? Then of course there were the other guns I was taking into consideration that I'm sure had their eye on this gem. It just didn't feel like the right time for us. BTW didn't Frank sell his SW Orange B3 for $800? That's the last one I remember.

Aneoth wrote:

I would much rather have spent that much on a Minty SW B-3, or a Minty SW ST-1, and may very well have done so, if I had funds available.

Yes, the funds would have been "safer" "invested" in these more established collectors' items. But there is something to be said about the First Player's Handbook with the validity of Paul's auctions.

BTW, how are things in Texas? You guys planning anymore meetings? I'd consider coming once the weather is warmer.

Blackmoor wrote:

Come on guys, its the first PHB ever, unique item. $1500.00 is probably cheap!!

Agreed considering most of the top 10 rares "value wise" top $1000 regularly, I'd say a unique with this importance should be valued at the same or higher.

Badmike wrote:

Keep the kiddies away from the good stuff, they wouldn't appreciate it anyway. It's nice to think everyone would appreciate your great collection but I have a feeling it takes a certain generation of gamer (of which most on this forum belong to) to really get a kick out of your goodies. I have mental pictures of a bunch of early teen slackers with their eyes glazed over checking out the 1st PHB going "Dude, where's the kewl spiked armor, elf babes wit big boobs, and color pictures?"

I know the feeling. We're from a galaxy far, far, away from today's youth.

Dathon wrote:

The B3 went for a very reasonable price; I was expecting it to top $1,000 easy and go for around $1,200.

I also screwed up my snipe for Dungeoneer #1 and that one went for a steal.

I don't really see the appeal of the 1st Player's Handbook ever sold, especially since the condition wasn't very good. But it's different strokes for different folks...  Good to see IO back on the boards.

That Dungeoneer #1 got away as a steal, especially addressed to an industry alum.

Harami wrote:

Heya, Mike! Been wondering what's up...

I missed you too, I had been asking about you like crazy awhile back, I guess you'd taken a hiatus like myself for awhile.

aside: Any luck with that 1st Chainmail, yet?

No such luck, I waited on The Mysterious Merlin e-mails and such, but got no reply. We're still in the market. I should have been a little quicker on Aneoth's copy. Who ended up with it anyway? Or should I not ask.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:39 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:BTW didn't Frank sell his SW Orange B3 for $800? That's the last one I remember.

Would have been there or thereabouts, I think. *checks with Frank*.

Hence my $650-700 comment, with personal resistance increasing above $750, I'd guess. Was academic under the circumstances.

invincibleoverlord wrote:I missed you too, I had been asking about you like crazy awhile back, I guess you'd taken a hiatus like myself for awhile.

"Revolving door". Ya know how it is! ;)

invincibleoverlord wrote:
harami2000 wrote:aside: Any luck with that 1st Chainmail, yet?

No such luck, I waited on The Mysterious Merlin e-mails and such, but got no reply. We're still in the market. I should have been a little quicker on Aneoth's copy. Who ended up with it anyway? Or should I not ask.

Scott <foulfoot>. Have seen the scan from when Frank had it. It's a very nice looking copy... :D

I was way too slow, as well, but it sounded like "swaps" was the name of the game anyhow; and I had little to offer on that front. :(

Hrmm.... Hang on in there, Mike. It only takes one "lucky strike". :)

You're not missing that many other items on the "pick" list and some of the rarer ones you've got are beauts.

No plans to "upgrade" from the 1st Chainmail I finally picked up, last month.

Not-so-Recent Fun Finds • Page 22 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Had a bit of a chuckle to myself when a Valuation Board member told me the name on the cover automatically reduced the "value" by 65-70%.

Personally, I don't care, since they were one of Dave Arneson's original group and later (1974!) a game designer for TSR in their own right.

Give me the "history", any day, rather than a boring "clean" copy... 8)

=

[EDIT: add "... up to a point" to that last sentence, following ribbing by John Huckerby re. "Bill Edwards" :?]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:13 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Hi guys it's been awhile

Yes it has, missed you around here. :D   I was afraid you picked up and left after the whole Maxwell debacle in February.   :evil:  

I must say about the B3, it actually went for a lot more than I though it would as well because of the fact that it was sans shrink. I had seriously considered makingf a run at it myself if it stayed in the $600.00 range, but I personally just was not prepared to pay more than that for an opened copy. As far as the PHB goes I think that it is tough to asses the true value of it, because that is definitely a sheer case of "beauty being in the eye of the beholder"  Even if I had the money to drop $1,500.00 on it myself, I do not think that I would have.  On the other side of that, there is no way I would criticize that figure because of the fact it is such a unique item and it comes form a very legitimate source,  that I can certainly understand the great desire to own it.  Just my .02

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext