Dice from Moldvay Basic or Expert
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:43 pm 

Zenopus wrote:My best friend has these sets, and I will always remember the dice colors in his sets: one set was "light mud brown", the other "pea soup green".

Zach:  are the green ones in my first post the pea-soup green that you're looking for?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:21 am 

stumbling tiger wrote: Basic Set dice came in all kinds of loud colors while the Expert dice all matched.

I bought a Moldvay Basic set in 1982 with matching yellow dice. I have a set of multicolored (with an elongated D8), but I'm not sure of its provenance.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 pm 

Finally figured out the pic posting trick, so here are my oldest dice.  Funny how the 12-sided has the most wear, as I rarely remember using it.  However, upon further reflection, I do recall constantly trying to spin my dice (the 4-sided was damn tricky!), so there you go.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 am 

Well, this thread has finally got me to dig out my B/X dice and photograph them, though I'm not sure at this point what I'm trying to prove.  

Maybe we can have a competition: Who's got the grottiest dice? :wink:

Moldvay Basic:

Look at the edge and corner wear on that d6!  I believe I feel a little queasy.

And from my Expert set.  Now these are not as bad: not only were they bought a year later than the Basic Set, but by this point I had supplemented the Basic set with some Gamescience dice.  

Shanghai fun & friends!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:46 am 

stumbling tiger wrote:Well, this thread has finally got me to dig out my B/X dice and photograph them, though I'm not sure at this point what I'm trying to prove.  

Maybe we can have a competition: Who's got the grottiest dice? :wink:

Moldvay Basic:
[ Image ]

Look at the edge and corner wear on that d6!  I believe I feel a little queasy.

And from my Expert set.  Now these are not as bad: not only were they bought a year later than the Basic Set, but by this point I had supplemented the Basic set with some Gamescience dice.  

[ Image ]

You know it's bad (good?) when your six-sided die becomes a fourteen-sided die!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 am 

Man, I love old dice!

Barsh, that d6 is almost a d0!

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 am 

grodog wrote:Zach:  are the green ones in my first post the pea-soup green that you're looking for?

No, those are a nice green but the ones from the Basic set, which IIRC were a matched set, were more of an olive color.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 pm 

My Moldvay Basic Set came with the bright yellow set mentioned earlier.  My Cook/Marsh Expert Set came with all blue dice... I didn't get any multicolored sets out of my boxes until down the road when I picked up an old Holmes set with the dice still in the little baggie.  ;)

Later on, when it came out, I also picked up the Mentzer Basic Set and I got an all red dice set with that.

To this day, I still never colored in the yellow dice with the included crayon.  lol  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm 

Here's my collection:

The owls are not what they seem...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Dice from Moldvay Basic or Expert:I have a die fitting that description (yellow). The grade of plastic is very '70s, like the back of the '77 Character Sheets Pad. I also have :
-a D12 with a hole melted into it, like someone wanted to test the plastic with a soldering iron.
-a D8 with the heavy wear typical of '70s dice, but the letter A instead of 1.
-a D20 (0-9 twice) a little smaller than TSR percentiles, uninked but with one set of numbers colored by the original owner.
& a whole bunch of dice like the above, of uncertain vintage but sorted together because of the heavy wear.

Sauro, do you know anything else about that d8 with the letter A instead of 1? I received a query from a fellow who has a Holmes Basic Set from 1980 with dice like this - at least d4, d8 and d20 (0-9 twice, one of the 1s is a "A"), and was wondering where they came from. Googling didn't turn anything up except for your post here. Could they be from Armory?

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Dice from Moldvay Basic or Expert:Sauro, do you know anything else about that d8 with the letter A instead of 1? I received a query from a fellow who has a Holmes Basic Set from 1980 with dice like this - at least d4, d8 and d20 (0-9 twice, one of the 1s is a "A"), and was wondering where they came from. Googling didn't turn anything up except for your post here. Could they be from Armory?

I can tell you that it's light-orange/peach/pumpkin colored, pre-inked black, & that it was acquired in a dice pouch in a lot (so no real traceable source). The size & texture matches Holmes-era dice - whitish wear marks on the edges, shiny/waxy surface.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:08 am 

Zenopus wrote in Dice from Moldvay Basic or Expert:These are the same as the brown dice I remember from my friend's Expert Set. The swirls are faint.

[ Image ]

This is from a 1st print of the set, posted by TheMilford in a thread over at Tome of Treasures. He used to post here as well but haven't seen him in a while.

Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Expert Set TRUE 1st Print.

I'm still lurking once a month or so… ;-)

here's the same research thread from our own forum:

Research: Moldvay/Cook Basic and Expert Sets Printings...

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:56 am 

grodog wrote in Dice from Moldvay Basic or Expert:
grodog wrote:I have a set that were mixed colors, as well as a set that were all orange.  Will dig around to see what others may be amongst my now-unused-dice bag.

OK, here are a few pics from my older dice:

1) this one shows the mixed colors set I had, and I'm nearly positive that it came with the Moldvay/Marsh Basic or Cook Expert sets; IIRC the d12 was the same pea-green color as the d4 adn d20.  I'm pretty sure that the two blue dice to the right were DragonDice percentage dice (but it's possible that the set was one d10 was blue and one green, perhaps---come to think of it, the green d10 definitely wasn't in my that Moldvay dice set:  perhaps it came from Star Frontiers or Gangbusters):

[ Image ]

2) More older dice (plus one jawa): the orange dice were from an early DragonDice set; the pink/white worn d20s were #'d 0-9 twice and came with my Top Secret set (there were 2 of those medium brown dice too, at one point, so perhaps they came with TS?). The mottled brown-ish is 0-9 twice, too, but much newer. The blue d4 solitare above the orange dice is the only one I have left from my original 1977 Holmes Basic dice, while the solid d8 next to it, and the jewel d4/d6 to the top right are newer sets bought along way.

[ Image ]

3) this one shows some of the light blue dice, with three different variations on the blue colors:   the very light-blue d100s (same as in the first pic above) vs .the medium blue dice that almost match but are darker (clustered in the middle foreground; it's possible that these are just less-worn and are in fact the same color as the d100s) vs. the d4 and d8 to the right, which are a different hue of blue, a little more of a light cornflower blue or so.

[ Image ]

Holy crap are those dice old!!!!

I ditched all of my old dice and would buy cool stuff at Gen Con.  I should have kept those old ones.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:50 pm 

grodog wrote: the pink/white worn d20s were #'d 0-9 twice and came with my Top Secret set (there were 2 of those medium brown dice too, at one point, so perhaps they came with TS?).

The Gateway to Adventure catalog of 1981 shows TS & Boot Hill with dice that are actually red & white, rather than pink & white. Did the red dice exist? I have an old pink TSR percentile die, but have never seen a red one outside the catalog. Should red TSR dice be regarded as similar to the photographers mock-ups of B1 & B2?

Previous