Dice from Moldvay Basic or Expert
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:15 pm 

I am wondering if there was a range of colors of dice that came with the Basic and Expert Box sets.  I'm pretty sure those were the items my brother and I started out with, and I still have some of our oldest dice and wondered if there is a way to track down what the dice from those sets looked like?  At first glance I didn't see any pictures showing the dice, so I'm thinking they may have come in a variety of colors.  Still game with them, so this is purely for curiosity not valuation!  Thanks!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 pm 

Back in the day, I remember seeing the dice included in the B/X sets in green, yellow, light blue, and red.
I don't know if they came in other colors (within the sets) or not.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm 

I have a set that were mixed colors, as well as a set that were all orange.  Will dig around to see what others may be amongst my now-unused-dice bag.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 am 

Here's a link to a picture of my oldest dice.  I still can't figure out how to post pics in this reply!

http://flic.kr/p/dMsabD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 am 

I think I had a pale blue set from my Moldvay set.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 am 

Not certain, but I think the early-'80s sets were a single color, while later -'80s sets were different colors, with an elongated D8.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 am 

I love those low impact dice!  I even recall mixed colors with a small white D6 with pips instead of numbers.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 pm 

sauromatian wrote:Not certain, but I think the early-'80s sets were a single color, while later -'80s sets were different colors, with an elongated D8.
I got an early '80s Moldvay set and think it was single colour.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 am 

I bought the Moldvay Basic set in 1981 and the dice were a range of colors: a light orange d6, blue d8, brown d12, and a red d20.  But the dice that came with the Moldvay Expert set I bought the next year were all different shades of brown.

Shanghai fun & friends!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 am 

My best friend has these sets, and I will always remember the dice colors in his sets: one set was "light mud brown", the other "pea soup green". I always seemed to get light blue dice every time I bought a boxed game, so these were memorable. We were playing in the car once and several of his dice went flying out the car window from the dashboard when his dad made a sharp turn.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 am 

Zenopus wrote:My best friend has these sets, and I will always remember the dice colors in his sets: one set was "light mud brown", the other "pea soup green". I always seemed to get light blue dice every time I bought a boxed game, so these were memorable. We were playing in the car once and several of his dice went flying out the car window from the dashboard when his dad made a sharp turn.

I think my d4 falls into the light mud brown category.  Kind of swirled, maybe like sandstone.  One of the oldest ones I have, so maybe from a set.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:10 am 

That's right, both sets I remember had a sort of swirled pattern.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm 

simrion wrote:I love those low impact dice!  I even recall mixed colors with a small white D6 with pips instead of numbers.

Sounds like what was sold by Heritage in a Dungeon Dwellers blister-pack.

staro wrote:I think my d4 falls into the light mud brown category.  Kind of swirled, maybe like sandstone.  One of the oldest ones I have, so maybe from a set.

I have a set of swirly brown TSR-type dice, as well as a few more swirlies. There was an old woman at a games store who would use such a term for marbles (as in jacks) with such a pattern. So I figure if the description was good enough for 1940, it should be good enough for us. The only problem is that they remind me of the deliberately swirled dice popular in the '90s with Vampire players.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 am 

grodog wrote:I have a set that were mixed colors, as well as a set that were all orange.  Will dig around to see what others may be amongst my now-unused-dice bag.

OK, here are a few pics from my older dice:

1) this one shows the mixed colors set I had, and I'm nearly positive that it came with the Moldvay/Marsh Basic or Cook Expert sets; IIRC the d12 was the same pea-green color as the d4 adn d20.  I'm pretty sure that the two blue dice to the right were DragonDice percentage dice (but it's possible that the set was one d10 was blue and one green, perhaps---come to think of it, the green d10 definitely wasn't in my that Moldvay dice set:  perhaps it came from Star Frontiers or Gangbusters):

2) More older dice (plus one jawa): the orange dice were from an early DragonDice set; the pink/white worn d20s were #'d 0-9 twice and came with my Top Secret set (there were 2 of those medium brown dice too, at one point, so perhaps they came with TS?). The mottled brown-ish is 0-9 twice, too, but much newer. The blue d4 solitare above the orange dice is the only one I have left from my original 1977 Holmes Basic dice, while the solid d8 next to it, and the jewel d4/d6 to the top right are newer sets bought along way.

3) this one shows some of the light blue dice, with three different variations on the blue colors:   the very light-blue d100s (same as in the first pic above) vs .the medium blue dice that almost match but are darker (clustered in the middle foreground; it's possible that these are just less-worn and are in fact the same color as the d100s) vs. the d4 and d8 to the right, which are a different hue of blue, a little more of a light cornflower blue or so.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 am 

Grodog, I love these! (and the jawa)

My guess would be the second white 0-9 came from your Holmes. The blue d4 is definitely old but I've never seen any Holmes-era d4 that weren't the uranium yellow. Do you remember the other colors in that set?

I have a few of those scuffy brown d20 as well. They often show up in very old lots -- I wonder which game they came in?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm 

martinglass wrote:G I've never seen any Holmes-era d4 that weren't the uranium yellow.

I have a die fitting that description (yellow). The grade of plastic is very '70s, like the back of the '77 Character Sheets Pad. I also have :
-a D12 with a hole melted into it, like someone wanted to test the plastic with a soldering iron.
-a D8 with the heavy wear typical of '70s dice, but the letter A instead of 1.
-a D20 (0-9 twice) a little smaller than TSR percentiles, uninked but with one set of numbers colored by the original owner.
& a whole bunch of dice like the above, of uncertain vintage but sorted together because of the heavy wear.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm 

The Barsh Box of Dice...

My original set from my Holmes Box Set circa 1977

I will go through Moldvay boxed sets tonight as I pretty much keep dice with their original boxed sets.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 pm 

Ha!  Funny to see what everyone has.  Man, your guys' old dice sure got some wear on them!  Hard to imagine simple drops onto tabletops over the years could wear them down like that.  Of course, mine didn't get used for about 20 years, so they have a bit more life to them.  Thanks for the pics and thoughts!

Next