What's up with OCE prices lately?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 31, 2, 3
Author


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:36 pm 
 

Has anyone else noticed OCE boxed sets have been steadily increasing in price the last little while?  You could get one for about $45 in the summer...now they seem to be averaging around $70.  One went for over $120 this week.

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 628
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2007
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:41 pm 
 

X-mas is comming!  get your OCE now while supplys last!

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:11 pm 
 

(To say nothing of Burnie's...)

Thanks, <deimos>
Yup, reading my mind; was thinking to post about this... certainly curious myself!

It's cheaper to buy a 5th print, 4th or even 4th-, than a good OCE!
Craaaazy....

Perhaps the public/general collectors think that "Collector's Edition" means rarer? :P

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:52 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:(To say nothing of Burnie's...)

Thanks, <deimos>
Yup, reading my mind; was thinking to post about this... certainly curious myself!

It's cheaper to buy a 5th print, 4th or even 4th-, than a good OCE!
Craaaazy....

Perhaps the public/general collectors think that "Collector's Edition" means rarer? :P

If that's the case, I'll be billing my 5th printing as a OCE "prepub"  :twisted:

 YIM  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:36 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:If that's the case, I'll be billing my 5th printing as a OCE "prepub"  :twisted:

Genius!! 8O

<...>

Seriously, though...

Nice 4th- with Lizard Greyhawk: $82
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5925011042

OKish 5th (not 4th), Gygax signed with bonus Gencon XIII Booklet (not shown): $73
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5925822989

Very nice 5th with Lizard Greyhawk & Blackmoor: $83
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5930774070

vs.

so-so-ish OCE with irrelevant odds-and-sods: $128
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5930608830

battered-box OCE: $100
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6934705433

Nice OCE: $87
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5932813092

Very nice OCE: $76
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5934707626


Sorry; I cannot see the logic...
Not only are the OCEs about the same price, or more, than 4th-, 4th, 5th; but the better OCEs often cost less than the poor ones!
(And I'm not being /overly/ selective in my scan through eBay, either).


====

(aside: albeit UK prices still seem to be stronger for earlier prints:
e.g. 5th without extras @  $157
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5932283787 )

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 261
Joined: Dec 17, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2017
Location: Upstate New York

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:38 pm 
 

hmmm... makes me want to sell off my OCE before people come to their senses... :P


-dave

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:42 pm 
 

dsaunders wrote:hmmm... makes me want to sell off my OCE before people come to their senses... :P

Heh, heh... please remember to smash it up a bit first! :twisted:

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:29 pm 
 

Might be time to resurrect this thread again...

And another one (not as good as Frank's $78 set)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5956121713
$191 with nearly 2 days to go.


The orc BIN'd another at $150
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955697318

& following on from the dodgy OCE with lateish supps. for $255
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955411661


At what point do the eBay prices finally filter through to the valuations here, as was the original stated intention?
It's a long time since I've seen a VG OCE at $45...

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:22 pm 
 

I have three OCE Sets that are in fair condition. I would let them go for $25....... for ALL of them,  :o

Oh and lets not forget the Shipping costs.......... $1,000....... 8O . :wink:


just joking guys.... :wink:


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:06 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:Might be time to resurrect this thread again...

And another one (not as good as Frank's $78 set)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5956121713
$191 with nearly 2 days to go.


The orc BIN'd another at $150
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955697318

& following on from the dodgy OCE with lateish supps. for $255
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955411661


At what point do the eBay prices finally filter through to the valuations here, as was the original stated intention?
It's a long time since I've seen a VG OCE at $45...

I agree, but I would suggest the valuation board has at least some responsibility to deter morons.  

People will see the adjusted valuations and readjust their price expectations to match.  The problem is that the Acaeum is now a more reliable source of valuation information than eBay, however, it is still using eBay to seed its values!  Clearly OCEs don't double/triple in value in a single year, and the Acaeum is likely affecting its own valuations.

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 269
Joined: Apr 11, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 24, 2008
Location: Clementon, NJ

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:17 am 
 

Id say its a matter of not knowing there is really a diference between all the sets.

The 5th's are advertised by ignorant sellers just the same as the OCE's: "original D&D"....and the only big spenders that would know the difference are right here on this forum (and everyone here probably has multiples by now).


"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6350
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:27 am 
 

Terminal_Frost wrote:Id say its a matter of not knowing there is really a diference between all the sets.

The 5th's are advertised by ignorant sellers just the same as the OCE's: "original D&D"....and the only big spenders that would know the difference are right here on this forum (and everyone here probably has multiples by now).


I've only got a second printing of Gods, Demigods & Heroes. I don't have any of the others yet. Anyone care to give an opinion as to which publication is best. Should I be buying first printings?

Anyone have a set for firsts they want to swap?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5634
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 20, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:33 pm 
 

I have firsts of all but Greyhawk I'd be willing to trade. I think I have about 5 copies of each supp, all different printings.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6350
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:40 pm 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:I have firsts of all but Greyhawk I'd be willing to trade. I think I have about 5 copies of each supp, all different printings.


So the first of Greyhawk is the big one. I wouldn't mind a set of firsts. Anything you're looking for Deadlord?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:45 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:It's a long time since I've seen a VG OCE at $45...

I agree, but I would suggest the valuation board has at least some responsibility to deter morons.

*g*. That's putting it succinctly.
However, the original stated intent was to track eBay rather than force the market.
Gently nudging the market where items appear to be overvalued/undervalued makes sense, but there is a total reluctance to admit to such an approach.
Trying to match eBay too closely to consensus opinions is just gonna be a constant futile thrash-around, anyhow.

If OCEs genuinely sell for more than 4th-/4th/5th prints, and The Acaeum claims to reflect eBay, then the OCE value listed here should be higher...
If, on the other hand, collectors need a gentle reminder that the last OCE to be sold "first hand" was around 1985 whilst the 5th print is very much "golden age", well no problems...
At present, the valuations here are fence sitting on such items whilst failing to clarify on either justification or perceived "remit".

deimos3428 wrote:People will see the adjusted valuations and readjust their price expectations to match. The problem is that the Acaeum is now a more reliable source of valuation information than eBay, however, it is still using eBay to seed its values!

Disagree. Just having a vague feel for eBay prices is a better indicator of the next eBay auction realisation than the current mishmash (hideously over-engineered in places yet missing glaringly obvious points).

For example, on supplements, that list I knocked up in a few hours is vastly more accurate than either the previous Acaeum list, or the current one.
Talked with a few people beforehand, several of whom were slightly doubting. Then the next few auctions up yielded four wizard supps. for about $44, followed by three lizards at around the $65 mark, IIRC.
*
A fairly decent match anyhow, and far more constructive and meaningful to "track" than the current schema which carelessly lumps a GK 1st print Greyhawk in with a 12th print Wizard... :(

deimos3428 wrote:Clearly OCEs don't double/triple in value in a single year, and the Acaeum is likely affecting its own valuations.

*g*. How long were you lurking before you joined the board? :wink:
OCEs used to price fairly high before the supply got evened out on eBay (check out some of the historic prices on Page Not Found ).

And that's without crazies like:
A Somewhat Perplexing Auction Now on Ebay...

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:02 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:I have firsts of all but Greyhawk I'd be willing to trade. I think I have about 5 copies of each supp, all different printings.


So the first of Greyhawk is the big one. I wouldn't mind a set of firsts. Anything you're looking for Deadlord?

Heh, heh... That's what I get for typing another response rather than focusing on this.

Was gonna ask whether you had anything other than a PoTVQ, Ian! 8O :P

Joking aside, if you check the current suggested values for the 1sts, you'll notice there are no red/green indicators to suggest that the prices have changed from the previous version. (Naughty, naughty... :roll:). Obtaining a proper first Eldritch at a decent price can be a pain in the neck.
The rarity values of a couple of the firsts probably wants nudging up, too, IMHO; even allowing for the "blip" of having had a few up for grabs recently.

Anyhow; no-one here is going to sell a (non-T)1st GK Greyhawk for $42 in NM condition. ($50 says not, anyhow!).
The other newly adjusted prices appear to be a closer match to the tail-end of 2004- trading was rather sluggish at the start of this year...

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6350
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:15 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:Was gonna ask whether you had anything other than a PoTVQ, Ian! 8O :P


PoTVQ and Revenaunt are my only two treasures. I have a coverless Jade Hare and a set of mint 1st edition JG stuff, but nothing to compare with PoTVQ.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:28 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:PoTVQ and Revenaunt are my only two treasures. I have a coverless Jade Hare and a set of mint 1st edition JG stuff, but nothing to compare with PoTVQ.

Hrmm... Revenaunt was still the better value for money, IMHO.
PoTVQ was certainly high, but suspect it won't hurt you too badly in the long run, as you pointed out- with presumptions on the exchange rate reversing.

No idea why anyone would pay megabucks for a covered Jade Hare since it was never officially released and shouldn't (therefore) even be listed here.
(More "Misty Isles", and those kinds of prices, I'd've expected: not wishing to detract from those who place higher value on that elusive cover, of course!).

Oh, are you tracking Burnie's current auction of firsts? (Note the condition on that Eldritch, though... :()

=

tip, aside, if you don't get them from Frank; watch out for first print supplements which sometimes get sold along with 4th- through 5th print OD&D boxes... and seeing those often go cheap than OCEs... well... *shrugs* :? :roll:
(no logical sense, huh?)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6350
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:37 pm 
 

Nice buy harami2000 :D Better price than mine. :evil:


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:58 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:Disagree. Just having a vague feel for eBay prices is a better indicator of the next eBay auction realisation than the current mishmash (hideously over-engineered in places yet missing glaringly obvious points).
Ok, crashed and burned here. You're right, of course. I suppose what I meant was that Acaeum valuations more accurately reflect an abstract "worth". eBay is obviously very good at predicting eBay. :oops:
harami2000 wrote:*g*. How long were you lurking before you joined the board? :wink:

I'm still not sure if that's a compliment or an insult. :wink: I lurked here for quite a long time, though...

 YIM  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 31, 2, 3