The history of role-playing thread
Author

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:51 pm 

Hi all, I was sorting through the old posts doing research for a friend, and I realized that there wasn't a thread devoted to the history of role-playing.  Blasphemy!
:P

So, with that said, feel free to post any notes, links, or cool stuff here.  I'd love to hear about obscure bits from the Blackmoor and Greyhawk formative days, Little Wars, the Crusade society, or even farther back into the nature of Diplomacy role-playing or what have you.

To start us off, I'm going to offer a snippet that provides a link between two of my favorite hobbies, RPGs and Victorian fiction.  Did you know that the Bronte siblings created what is arguably the first "shared interactive fiction" environment, with the kingdoms of Angria and Gondal?  They started with using Branwell's toy soldiers, and writing characterizations and stories about them.  This led to the development of a huge, systematic presentation of those kingdoms' cultures, adventures, and characters, which made for some very interesting reading.  Lots of this has been lost, but there is still some poetry and such.  I'm trying to follow up on a rumor of event resolution (dice?!?) used to determine that fates of shared imaginary characters, so I'll let you know if I come across anything.  I think it's quite intriguing that all of this was taking place in the 1820s.

Next ...
8)