Museum of Dungeons & Dragons
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 am 

Great link Brian, good to hear from you...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 am 

bclarkie wrote:Just popping in for yet another laugh.  Although it appears that the savvy folks of this forum are already on to this, ahem, *mess*(to be kind), these folks claim to have a $250K gaming library?

Wait, what?

Here's their game library, right from Jim's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/jhuntonfl/photos_stream

Ummm, yea.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Oh yeah.  Hi everyone!

Must be gone because I dont see it!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:19 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
Must be gone because I dont see it!!

The pics are still there, along with a new pic of a wizard (a la uncle sam) asking for people's help.   

The new pic has some comments implying they have a larger collection and that the earlier photographs didn't show everything.

Edit:  Looks like they're in the process of adding more pics of stuff in boxes, presumably to show a larger collection.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 pm 

Hi,

doesn't look that big to me, particularly as the pics show non-D&D games.

Cheers,
KAL

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm 

And the way some of them are stacked, looks more like a jumble sale hoard, than a cared for collection. I wonder if this is the basis of the 'Museum' or if it'll be like an old comic/record store from the 80's when you'd rifle through loads of boxes and racks looking for what you want..

Professional isn't a word that springs to mind.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Just popping in for yet another laugh.  Although it appears that the savvy folks of this forum are already on to this, ahem, *mess*(to be kind), these folks claim to have a $250K gaming library?

Wait, what?

Ummm, yea.

Oh yeah.  Hi everyone!

Just throwing a little more fuel on the conflagration already burning  8)

Here is their FB store page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gamers-Rule/119311577794
NOTE: This is not an eBay number, but the system is picking it up as one. Just type the number after the URL.

Here is the link to their store's website: http://www.gamers-rule.com/

The store is/was located in Clewiston, FL - estimated population in 2005 = 7,173 and is the home of the Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum and the Clewiston Museum. I live in FL and have driven through Clewiston ... I did not stop, nor did I want to  :wink:

BTW, great to see BC (Brian) posting again. Wishing you all the best Brian!!

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 pm 

This thread has become a bit distasteful to me, I hope the Hunton's achieve their goal, though I'm not a supporter...I find the personal attacks uncomfortable.  My collection is not dissimilar to the images linked to, and though a museum isn't in my plans, I think many of the criticisms are unfair-slash-mean.  Do/don't support and maybe/maybe-not the principles are 'good' people, but, c'mon... enough.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:27 am 

You know who should open a museum?  The Burntwire Bros.  They could easily charge admission to stand in that game room for a few minutes and check out their collection.  If you were going to design an RPG museum exhibit, THAT is the way to do it.  The Huntons should call those guys.   :D

Come to think of it there is another guy on this forum too, I want to say his handle is/was Aneoth but I might be wrong on that.  Now HE had a huge collection worthy of a museum.  Boxes and boxes of it, and really good stuff too.  I think he ended up selling alot of it off.

The owls are not what they seem...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:07 am 

Gnat the beggar now I believe

But you're absolutely right, Burntwires have an amazing collection and set up. Really, when you've quality like that, how big a building do you really need.

It'd be interesting for a proper museum to be set up and have gaming opportunities too, maybe on site once a month or something, or 'staff' gaming in action during the day.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 am 

Two of the Huntons' statements killed this for me:

1. Accusing of us of hiding behind aliases.  

2. The threat of legal action.

I'm admittedly a sporadic collector, but I've done business with quite a few of you; our transactions have always been good and honest.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:56 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:Two of the Huntons' statements killed this for me:

Don't they realize that our imaginary characters are more real to us than real life is? It's sort of insensitive.

Keith the Thief wrote:2. The threat of legal action.  

I consider myself bound only by City-State law.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Keith the Thief wrote:Two of the Huntons' statements killed this for me:

Don't they realize that our imaginary characters are more real to us than real life is? It's sort of insensitive.

Keith the Thief wrote:2. The threat of legal action.  

I consider myself bound only by City-State law.

1. Case in point: My quarter staff is a buck-and-a-quarter quarter staff, but don't tell somebody.

2. There is no honor among thieves, for the DMG told me so.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 am 

Zenfinite wrote:

Wait, what?

Ummm, yea.

Oh yeah.  Hi everyone!

Damn, then I must have a million dollar collection!!! Strat, you're worth what, a billion? Way to go man!!!

Zen

p.s. Hey BClarkie!! Where ya been bud!!!

Yep, I'm alive and well.    I pop in here from time to time just to see if anything new is going on, but I just don't have as much free time as I used to. Life and all.  :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:13 am 

davidc wrote:This thread has become a bit distasteful to me, I hope the Hunton's achieve their goal, though I'm not a supporter...I find the personal attacks uncomfortable.  My collection is not dissimilar to the images linked to, and though a museum isn't in my plans, I think many of the criticisms are unfair-slash-mean.  Do/don't support and maybe/maybe-not the principles are 'good' people, but, c'mon... enough.

I think you missed the point of my post.  I didn't post the link because I had some sort of contempt for their collections size per se(ever increasing in scope in the form of a few more nameless boxes in a warehouse almost immediately after my post).  In all truth, as you note it should be irrelevant to a project such as this.  Even if it wasn't, I personally could not possibly care less about the size of anyone's collection.  

The reason it is even an issue now though, is because they made it issue themselves by making a claim as part of their "selling" points to this project on Dragonsfoot, here:

dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... mp;t=58991

Our personal collection is worth approximately one-quarter of a million dollars, and will be the founding collection of the museum.

And therein lies the issue and why I posted the link.  After seeing the actual proof of the content and size of their collection, it seems pretty clear that their "collection" would not be worth $250k if you spotted them a multiplier of 20 to it's actual value.   That brings up the very important question and even ignoring the other not so great history posted earlier in the thread about their trustworthiness, if they can't be honest enough to even post truthfully about their own collection, as completely silly and irrelevant as it is, what can the be trusted to be honest about?  

And with that, should anyone be trusting someone with those types of issue with your money?

That's why I posted what I did.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 am 

Thank you for those comments Brian, won't be the last time I missed a point :). I recognize your post now as rebuttal one of the points of their business plan.

I'm glad that however naïve the original plan may have been, that we can stay constructive in our critiscisms.  

And, I second a Burntwire museum!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:150k and a custom-designed building just seems vastly over-ambitious to me as a starting point. Now, If Lake Geneva or Indianapolis has a sizeable library (ie. available space), you could setup something like the Merrill Collection.

A private company is now planning passenger trips to the moon for $750 million a seat. For the cost of only 5,000 D&D museums, we could send a small collection (such as a copy of B2) to be enshrined forever on the lunar surface. The whole world shall look up at night & be reminded of what a kick-ass module it was. Donations for this project may be sent to me.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:150k and a custom-designed building just seems vastly over-ambitious to me as a starting point. Now, If Lake Geneva or Indianapolis has a sizeable library (ie. available space), you could setup something like the Merrill Collection.

A private company is now planning passenger trips to the moon for $750 million a seat. For the cost of only 5,000 D&D museums, we could send a small collection (such as a copy of B2) to be enshrined forever on the lunar surface. The whole world shall look up at night & be reminded of what a kick-ass module it was. Donations for this project may be sent to me.

If you're going to enshrine a module on the lunar surface, it should be S3!!!   :lol:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 am 

Museum of Dungeons & Dragons?  Maybe start here:

viewtopic.php?p=176713#p176713

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

PreviousNext