Museum of Dungeons & Dragons
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:59 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:I wouldn't trust the huntons as far as I could throw the world at the sun. Their money making schemes off the backs of others is unpleasant and now seemingly unscrupulous.
OK, enough...

What money making scheme are you talking about? Our Collector's Guides? Those use the products in our own personal library as base, along with scans and information from people who physically own the products we don't. All are properly credited. Yes, we also cross reference a number of online sites to confirm information, but they are also properly credited, and NOT the majority of the information in the books.

Yes, we make money off selling our books. So does EVERY OTHER publisher out there - whether they publish novels, non-fiction, or gaming books. How does that make it a money making scheme?

If you don't like the idea of the Museum, you are more than welcome to that opinion, but neither our books, nor this project are "money making schemes" - they are things needed in the gaming community, and that need is being met by two people who love the game.

Jim and Debbie Hunton
Curators, Museum of Dungeons & Dragons

P.S. Please note, Jim feels that we need to point out that we sign our full names, whereas you hide behind your alias. Only a coward hides their face when accusing others.

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MuseumOfDnD
IndieGoGo: http://bit.ly/ZQIdu6
Blog:  http://museumofdnd.blog.com/
"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. " - Albert Pike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 pm 

The Dragonsfoot thread is quite an interesting read. It highlights very well that the Museum "curators" are quite happy to simply ignore certain points and yet quote verbatim posts which potentially hold them in a good light. (For example they quote Pipswich posting here as a museum professional. Not a dig at you Pipswich, just saying that the quote could possibly be read as a testimonial to them rather thatn a general point of fact which I believe your post was intended to be).

Sorry but this just seems to get worse and worse for me, no facts/figures/names/guarantees and yet lots of maybes.

So, outright questions that I feel need to be answered

1) Why was this Kickstarter set up with the requirement of money from donors up front? (DF posters note that this wasn't necesarry under the KS rules - please correct me if I'm wrong).
2) If it doesn't reach target you state donors have the chance to get a refund of their money - what guarantees are you giving?
3) What company/corporate/charity structure is actually in place and where can the records of this be viewed by potential donors?
4) Can you give details of your legal representation?
5) Why have no updates been posted on the KS page?
6) And please post photos of your vast collection - a) this would put my mind at rest and b) I love seeing pictures of collections and keep a nice little slide show of them to view when I want to feel inadequate :D

And as a further, small point. If you post on forums such as this where people use pseudonyms etc then I think its bad form to call people out on this - remember you are a guest here as much as anyone else, and comments like your last point to Ashmire13 do not make you look superior, in my opinion, quite the reverse.

Gyg - AKA Carl Harvey - full name and address available on request (and I think my email address can be found in my profile if you're interested)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:54 pm 

gyg wrote:So, outright questions that I feel need to be answered:
1) Why was this Kickstarter set up with the requirement of money from donors up front? (DF posters note that this wasn't necesarry under the KS rules - please correct me if I'm wrong).
For the answer, see our most recent blog post: http://museumofdnd.blog.com/2012/11/29/ ... e-funding/   A quick summary: this funding wasn't our first, or even our second choice, but it cannot be changed now.

gyg wrote:2) If it doesn't reach target you state donors have the chance to get a refund of their money - what guarantees are you giving?
We are not offering a guarantee, as there really cannot be any guarantee that would be legally binding. We would be happy to hear suggestions.

gyg wrote:3) What company/corporate/charity structure is actually in place and where can the records of this be viewed by potential donors?
For the answer, see our first blog post: http://museumofdnd.blog.com/2012/11/29/ ... e-funding/   A short quote: "the incorporation papers can't be filed until the state is chosen, and the non-profit status papers can't be filed until the corporation exists."

gyg wrote:4) Can you give details of your legal representation?
As our attorney is donating his time and wishes to remain anonymous for reasons of his own, I cannot share. But he practices both Intellectual Property and Corporate law.

gyg wrote:5) Why have no updates been posted on the KS page?
First, it's not a Kickstarter page, it's IndieGoGo (see the link at the bottom of this post), but that's splitting hairs… what kind of update would you like to see? If it makes sense, we'd be happy to add it. We have been answering questions on our blog (which is linked from every post we make in every forum, and on our Facebook page).

gyg wrote:6) And please post photos of your vast collection - a) this would put my mind at rest and b) I love seeing pictures of collections and keep a nice little slide show of them to view when I want to feel inadequate :D
Watch the blog. Those pictures will be posted in the next day or two.

gyg wrote:And as a further, small point. If you post on forums such as this where people use pseudonyms etc then I think its bad form to call people out on this - remember you are a guest here as much as anyone else, and comments like your last point to Ashmire13 do not make you look superior, in my opinion, quite the reverse.
dhunton wrote:Only a coward hides their face when accusing others.
As many people here choose to do, Jim stands by his previous post. Ashmire13 attacked us personally over a substantial number of posts on this forum. We have not refused to answer a single question asked seriously. We normally do not like to dignify attacks and snide remarks with a response, but we felt it was time to defend ourselves against him personally. If you are not attacking someone personally, you can use a pseudonym all you like, but as Jim said, if you are accusing someone, you should be willing to state who you are.

Jim and Debbie Hunton

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. " - Albert Pike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 am 

Long post but no real substance.

I think that bearing in mind you are looking to raise some $150K you need to have loads more evidence that there's a realistic chance that this is going to happen. While you may well have the best business plan in the world coupled with amazing backers and fabulous professionals on-board all ready to make this a reality, what you are actually showing to the world is so much pie-in-the-sky. Nothing I have read from you gives me any kind of confidence that this will succeed, and I'm probably not alone. You really need to get something tangible out there, because as time passes this is going to look less and less attractive.

Bearing in mind that most rpg collectors would happily throw a paltry $15 at just about ANY vaguely related gaming KS it speaks volumes  that this has raised so little so far. I won't go as far, at the moment, as to say its a scam, but if it were, I don't think anyones going to get rich on it.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:34 am 

dhunton wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:I wouldn't trust the huntons as far as I could throw the world at the sun. Their money making schemes off the backs of others is unpleasant and now seemingly unscrupulous.
OK, enough...

Full of non-information and no substance

Your collectors guides were. You have given nothing to this site in support or information. You self promote and then get annoyed when others see through you.

Yep, a real coward. FFS, get over yourself

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Last edited by ashmire13 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:53 pm 

dhunton wrote:Our Collector's Guides? Those use the products in our own personal library as base, along with scans and information from people who physically own the products we don't. All are properly credited. Yes, we also cross reference a number of online sites to confirm information, but they are also properly credited, and NOT the majority of the information in the books.

The common opinion at the time was that we provide comparable information here, for free, so we don't have much interest in a for profit version.  You didn't like that and you disagree.  Fine.  But I doubt too many people have changed their minds.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:02 pm 

jarloch wrote:Based upon the misinformation given in this thread on Dragonsfoot, I would tread very warily when dealing with these particular folks.  All the things said about what it takes to found a museum may be true.  That doesn't make the process any less vulnerable to people who have place a low value on honesty and transparency.

So they are trying to start this museum and they have managed to alienate both the Acaeum and now Dragonsfoot.  $600 from 8 suckers (er, I mean contributors) of $150,000 with 46 days left.  Good luck, I put the over-under for the finish at $2000 and 20 contributors.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:43 am 

Of course, when this fails, it will be the fault of the Collecting community for not getting behind it and letting the gaming history and rares die.

Yeah, because that will happen, won't it...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:00 am 

I should not have to defend myself. I'm not on trial. I don't know how I pissed you off (Grug Greyskin's original wording).

I came to the Acaeum with an idea. If you don't like the idea, that's fine. If you like the idea, but hate me, I will stand down and let you do it.

TheHistorian wrote:The common opinion at the time was that we provide comparable information here, for free, so we don't have much interest in a for profit version.
The weird thing is, I offend you and don't know why. I hold the Aceaum in high regard. But the Acaeum only does 1st Edition -- nothing beyond that. You act as if D&D died after that. Well, it didn't. There are at least 4 editions after that, and many other products. And it is still going strong today.

Now, this is my last post on the Acaeum (for most of you, that will be good news). And that is sad, for I have been here collecting longer than some of you have been alive.

So, I ask you… how many others have you insulted that will never be back (at least ten that I know of).

Jim Hunton

P.S. You remind me of a pack of jackals. One goes for the jugular, and the rest bite the ass. Good day, gentlemen, and goodbye!

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:06 am 

The above comes from Jim specifically, although we share a login. I will still be on the Acaeum from time to time, and will check Private Messages, as well as being available via email.

However, to honor his wishes, I won't be monitoring this thread any longer, so any posts to him (or to me, or regarding the Museum) won't be seen by either of us.

I'm sorry that you have chosen to criticize and attack, but that is, of course, your right.

Debbie Hunton

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 am 

geez, I missed some fireworks while I was away :)

irregardless of Jim or Debbie bothering to read up on this thread any further, this post is definitely geared towards anyone on the fence about donating funds to this project.

Let's just stipulate that we all love D&D and we're all committed to it. It is irrelevant that they believe they are the chosen ones to carry the torch and create some museum(which sounds like a glorified used bookstore) where all collectors must relinquish their valued items and donations to. It's pure nonsense. This museum business pitch has not been serious from the start, for so many good reasons that folks have brought up here and on DF and on other sites. The responses from the "curators" underscore that they are not serious. They have no business plan, despite their references otherwise to having a "CPA" or an "attorney". It's really weak to state stuff like that, and then have no follow up to anyone's posted questions. They may as well have said they have a "D.D.S.", an "M.D." or even the "CIA" onboard.

If there really was a business plan, they would have already scoped out all of those locations ahead of time, gathered all the necessary information regarding expenses at those locations, talked to people at these locations in regards to prospectively setting up shop, and have put together -- at minimum -- a cost/benefit analysis on each.
That is ABSOLUTELY par for the course in any business plan. There is and was literally NOTHING stopping them from having gone and done that before seeking funding. There is just no excuse for not having this information, and this should be presented to any potential investor with tons more information to say the least.

"contributors need to vote on it before we can figure it out" is laughable, if it weren't so worrisome that people have already donated to this, even at $600 total -- for which the Hunton's mostly get, even if their funding goal will not be met.

Like I said, we've stipulated that we all love D&D, so just divorce yourselves from the fact it has anything to do with D&D. I'll frame their business pitch to you this way ... just subsitute any other business for "museum". Say "restaurant" or "sporting goods store" or whatever. How many entrepreneurs do you think say to their prospective investors "We're going to let you vote on where you think this business should be set up".
SAY WHAT?!?!?  :!:  :!:  :!:
The location, as touched on in various posts above, can make or break any business. Moreover, saying "I'm not really sure, and I'm not going to do any footwork, but I want YOU as an investor to vote on it -- then we'll figure out the expenses" is an incredibly weak ploy.

The business plan is supposed to instill confidence in investors that the authors have -- among many other things -- experience, confidence and thoroughness in THEIR OWN project -- to say the least.

But here's some interesting information: I was just catching up on some reply posts on the DF thread about an alleged arrest record for Jim Hunton. The Huntons were dismayed that they've been possibly "hacked" by the person who posted that information, but honestly the information is completely searchable -- FOR FREE -- because many/all? arrest records are public -- with simply the information the Huntons have provided here and on their websites/blogs/etc. Obviously, this is an arrest record, and not whether there was a conviction, but if you're interested in seeing it for yourself, go to Lee County Sheriff's website in Florida, click on "inmate search" on the left hand side, type in "James" and "Hunton", then click on the name on the next page, and you will find the information including the photo (which matches the likeness of the photo of Jim Hunton posing with Gygax posted on their Indie GoGo site).

It lists two charges: One Felony (Grand Theft), One Misdemeanor (False Reporting to Law) from Aug 17, 2001.

http://www.sheriffleefl.org/main/

Their disclaimer at the bottom reads
"Information is provided as a service to citizens, inmate families & friends, attorneys and others and does not detail the final disposition of criminal justice proceedings. All arrestees are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. To obtain court disposition for those facing state charges you can search the Lee County Clerk of Courts website.

While every effort is made to ensure that information here is current, technical difficulties may cause updates to be delayed. If you do not find a person here that should be in our system, please try searching with a different spelling, or by entering just the first few letters of the name. If you still cannot find a record of the person and need immediate information, please call 477-1500."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:48 am 

And that information kind of proves my point. Gut instinct, or wild stab in the dark, I felt there was some wrong doings going on.

Thank you MisterSpock.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 am 

misterspock wrote:But here's some interesting information: I was just catching up on some reply posts on the DF thread about an alleged arrest record for Jim Hunton.
This, I will not let slide. First, I will state what I stated on the Dragonsfoot forum when this was brought up: "And just as a general statement, there is NO conviction for any crime, minor or major, in either of our backgrounds. We have both had FBI clearance in the past when needed, and would be eligible to receive it again." Jim was never an inmate, did not spend any time in prison. During the investigation, he turned himself in at the advice of our criminal attorney, but was out in a few hours.

And, I repeat myself: THERE IS NO CONVICTION ON ANY CRIME IN EITHER OF OUR BACKGROUNDS. An investigation is NOT a conviction.

Seriously, the worst thing you can find about us is an arrest without a conviction over a decade ago? LOL

Jim and Debbie Hunton

P.S. This information was found by someone illegally accessing GAMA's records to get an old address for us.

P.P.S. This discussion of an old court case needs to stop now, or our attorney will be in touch regarding slander.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:40 am 

dhunton wrote:P.P.S. This discussion of an old court case needs to stop now, or our attorney will be in touch regarding slander.

I realize you're upset, but one of my pet peeves is threats of legal action.

• the term is "libel",
  • free speech trumps just about everything under the law,
  • no one has actually said anything untrue about your police record,
  • threatening legal action is one of the quicker ways to get banned here.

Foul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 pm 

Better watch out or the conveniently anonymous / probably fictional attorney will get ya!    

Indiegogo above Kickstarter = Fail   (I understand the choice of IndieGoGo was itself based on the crowdsourced location fail).
Flexible Funding "oops, and we can't change now!" = Fail
Crowdsourced Location = Fail  (support of this equates to having joined the Free State Project back in the day w/ sold house/packed moving van before they even chose the state).
Earning the Ire of a bunch of D&D fans on Acaeum / DF = Fail
Anonymous attorney/unnamed experienced librarian = Fail
Living at an address with a Zillow estimate of less than 200K and claiming to have 250K in D&D material = Win?
Calling yourself a curator when your campaign hasn't collected enough money to paint the parking stripes at a possible brick & mortar museum = Epic Fail

This ship is on fire and sinking ... if there is a future attempt to create a Museum, hopefully it will be handled by somebody who is actually capable of planning and making good decisions.    Unfortunately I think the memory of this disaster will make things harder for them, but there isn't much that can be done about that now.

-Dan
Janitor, Museum of Ass Biting Jackals

Last edited by danull on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 pm 

Have stayed out of this as yet, but it's getting silly.
dhunton wrote:Seriously, the worst thing you can find about us is an arrest without a conviction over a decade ago?

Well, no.
The worst things we know about you are:

1. You're Unknowns.*

2. Your PR skills suck (you have already managed to irritate a lot of the movers & shakers of the collectible trade, including a lot of folks with deep pockets). You act like online newbies.

3. You launched a novice-level crowdfunding try, proving that you shouldn't be doing this yet.

* Unknowns? Quite.
You have never participated in the existing D&D collectibles community. You do not own one of the major Known Collections of the hobby (hi to Strat and Scketre). You're parading the title of "Curators of the Museum of Dungeons & Dragons" even though that doesn't exist ('wannabe' is more accurate). ps: you use trademarks improperly and illegally, a very bad indicator.

In direct comparison, I know of 4 people (myself included) who have more artifacts, know more industry people, and know a lot more about the history of the game. IF you had inverted your approach -- portraying yourselves first and foremost as the Workers needed to make it happen, while relying on the huge amount of expertise available elsewhere -- this might have succeeded.

RIP

F

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Last edited by ExTSR on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:51 pm 

The court case can be found by searching for his name (lastname, firstname) at File or Directory not found! - Lee County Clerk of Circuit Court

To find out what the meaning of what the judge found is: What is a "Withhold of Adjudication" in Florida (Also Called "Adjudication Withheld")? - Avvo.com

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:05 pm 

dhunton wrote:P.S. This information was found by someone illegally accessing GAMA's records to get an old address for us.

just to clarify this so that EVERYONE is on the same page (including you), I did not get any of your personal information from anyone but yourselves through what you have posted.

Let's walk through this:

1. http://www.google.com
2. type in "James Hunton" florida arrest record"
3. depending upon google's idea of relevant articles you may have to click through a couple pages. Right now, if I go to page 4 and scroll down you'll see a link for "Hunton, James Robert | Fort Myers Arrest | Lee County, FL" where in the text below "James Hunton" is in bold.
4. If you click on the link, you'll get some of the info including a small thumbnail of his photo.
5. Since "Lee County" is additional information, you can then go back to google and type in "Lee County Florida arrest records".
6. On the 1st google page is the link for "Lee County Sheriff's Office | Lee County, Florida | Home"

and by the way, there's other information listed in NON-PAID, searchable public records in Lee County.
http://www.leeclerk.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={96F969B9-FB1B-47E9-A458-0F4C0739A2AC}

when selecting "public search", and detailing "Hunton James" or "Hunton Deborah", the public can view all sorts of items (not necessarily all specifics) including two judgements against "Hunton James R", "Hunton Jim" and "Pioneer Games" from Games Workshop in 2001...among many other things.

Again, there is no "hacking" or illegal transfer of your information involved.

PreviousNext