Museum of Dungeons & Dragons
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:58 pm 

This has smashed the $1K barrier - might not quite make the funding goals though. (And the Huntons seem to have gone quiet on various forums - strange thing to do when you're passionate about a cause/dream :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 pm 

Bracton wrote:Museum of Dungeons & Dragons?  Maybe start here:

viewtopic.php?p=176713#p176713

Bills collection would make a fine start;).. I would imagine that his would be closer to the $250k mark of worth.. $250k work of just rpg stuff is a LOT.. even in shrink.. there are certainly limted items that are "worth" more than a $1k and a lot "worth" $5-10

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:29 am 

As a customer, at the minimum I would expect the museum to answer:

Where did dungeons and dragons come from and why? I.e., provide an introduction to role-playing games through its origins in war gaming.

What did it look like? I.e., the obligatory product evolution, ads, etc. through 2nd edition - I'm not sure if what came after from tsr is particularly relevant. On this point, I don't think a robust display with original manuscripts is particularly important, at least initially.

Why should I care? I.e., focus on how much D&D affected popular culture - music (heavy metal in particular), movies, etc. Even the Christians who were suspicious of it.

What happened to it? I.e., the rise of Magic, video games, the shortening of attention spans. It's legacy - 3rd edition, 4th, etc.

But, at the risk of committing heresy, it would seem wise to take a broader view of the museum. I don't know whether that means inclusion of an all-fantasy arcade - dragon's lair, gauntlet, etc. - or a wax museum of monsters, or an art gallery, or amusement rides, or getting Vin Diesel on board, or all of those things. But something narrow like a bunch of books behind glass, regardless of rarity, probably won't generate a lot of excitement for the other 99.5% of the population. Rather something, even on a small scale, that could provide an all-family entertainment/learning experience.

One of the great things about dungeons and dragons and its theme was the imagination and endless possibilities - it would seem foolish to not take advantage it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:20 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:As a customer, at the minimum I would expect the museum to answer:

Where did dungeons and dragons come from and why? I.e., provide an introduction to role-playing games through its origins in war gaming.

What did it look like? I.e., the obligatory product evolution, ads, etc. through 2nd edition - I'm not sure if what came after from tsr is particularly relevant. On this point, I don't think a robust display with original manuscripts is particularly important, at least initially.

Why should I care? I.e., focus on how much D&D affected popular culture - music (heavy metal in particular), movies, etc. Even the Christians who were suspicious of it.

What happened to it? I.e., the rise of Magic, video games, the shortening of attention spans. It's legacy - 3rd edition, 4th, etc.

But, at the risk of committing heresy, it would seem wise to take a broader view of the museum. I don't know whether that means inclusion of an all-fantasy arcade - dragon's lair, gauntlet, etc. - or a wax museum of monsters, or an art gallery, or amusement rides, or getting Vin Diesel on board, or all of those things. But something narrow like a bunch of books behind glass, regardless of rarity, probably won't generate a lot of excitement for the other 99.5% of the population. Rather something, even on a small scale, that could provide an all-family entertainment/learning experience.

One of the great things about dungeons and dragons and its theme was the imagination and endless possibilities - it would seem foolish to not take advantage it.

I concur WHOLEHEARTEDLY  :)  Even though I "personally" would love to see certain items in the "flesh" ... like the Lost Caverns or Up the Garden Path ... a much more interesting museum would be one with original notes/transcripts from Gygax, Arneson, etc. and see the how it all came to life, the social impact, the Mazes & Monsters movie with Tom Hanks, the religious right and their outcryings, and all of the benefits (like increased social interaction, language & math skills, creativity, artistic inspiration, etc.) that came with playing the game. Just my two cents.

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:01 pm 

The last 2 posts have been spot on - lets hope the Huntons are reading this  :wink:

Got to agree  that a museum in this day and age needs to be hands on (shortening of attention spans) and needs to captivate those that are on the fence and/or just accompanying someone else for the visit. Yes, I would be completely thrilled by just about any exhibit of rares/pre-production stuff/manuscripts etc, but I'm pretty sure my wife and kids wouldn't be! Popular culture deserves a modern and innovative take on a concept - something that the posted plans for this museum simply do not provide.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 am 

getting to the last day to pledge, if you've been holding back just to push this one past its goal then now's the time!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 am 

Looks like they've made themselves $1200 for a further dent to their reputation.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 am 

ashmire13 wrote:Looks like they've made themselves $1200 for a further dent to their reputation.

Are you an idiot? This project is not over, it Is just beginning.

Why do you despise us so? Is it because our books outsell yours?

Oh, and my husband said to let  you know he looks forward to meeting you when we're in England next year.

Debbie Hunton
Curator, Museum of Dungeons & Dragons

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MuseumOfDnD
Blog:  http://museumofdnd.blog.com/

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. " - Albert Pike

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm 

And that's enough of that.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:15 pm 

dhunton wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:Looks like they've made themselves $1200 for a further dent to their reputation.

Are you an idiot? This project is not over, it Is just beginning.

Why do you despise us so? Is it because our books outsell yours?

Oh, and my husband said to let  you know he looks forward to meeting you when we're in England next year.

Debbie Hunton
Curator, Museum of Dungeons & Dragons

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MuseumOfDnD
Blog:  http://museumofdnd.blog.com/

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. " - Albert Pike

I presume that's some sort of spineless veiled threat. Laughable. But you do know that in the UK, you can't hide behind a gun and threaten people. Just saying.

Edit - sorry Foul, I'm done on this thread ;)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Previous