C1 Lost Tamoachan and C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:15 am 

Well, allow me to "clamor". This stuff is way too expensive at the moment. If the Acaeum valuations drop, the little guys will win out. (The resellers have a right to be really upset if this happens.) My main point, even though they shouldn't, people take the Acaeum valuations far too literally.

I don't think that people take the Acaeum valuations too literally.  Testament to this is the recent sales that we have seen of numerous rares.  They all have exceeded the valuations listed on the Acaeum considerable.  As Foul stated, the Acaeum valuations are supposed to reflect the historical valuation trends over time.  Doesn't mean that those values will always be reflective of spot prices.  Rather, the values represent a "smoothed out" trend line of these valuations over time.

That being said, The Acaeum is a wonderful source for capturing the state of our hobby/passion.  Just think what the world would be like without it!  I remember wandering aimlessly...  We probably wouldn't be having these discussions 8O

Thanks Foul :!: :!:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:22 am 

dbartman wrote:
Well, allow me to "clamor". This stuff is way too expensive at the moment. If the Acaeum valuations drop, the little guys will win out. (The resellers have a right to be really upset if this happens.) My main point, even though they shouldn't, people take the Acaeum valuations far too literally.

I don't think that people take the Acaeum valuations too literally.  Testament to this is the recent sales that we have seen of numerous rares.  They all have exceeded the valuations listed on the Acaeum considerable.  As Foul stated, the Acaeum valuations are supposed to reflect the historical valuation trends over time.  Doesn't mean that those values will always be reflective of spot prices.  Rather, the values represent a "smoothed out" trend line of these valuations over time.

That being said, The Acaeum is a wonderful source for capturing the state of our hobby/passion.  Just think what the world would be like without it!  I remember wandering aimlessly...  We probably wouldn't be having these discussions 8O

Thanks Foul :!: :!:

You ever wonder why wandering monsters wander?  Because they don't have great websites like the Acaeum.  I can't agree more on your last point.

I think we were talking about two different groups of people in regards to the valuations...but clamoring on aimlessly is what Sunday mornings are all about. :)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:04 pm 

I know exactly what he means, and he does have a point. Putting up auction/sales histories is fine, and if you compute values by those histories, that is fine as well, but at this particular juncture, is a mint Fazzle really worth $750? If anyone believes so, I'll gladly give you $800 for yours.
The pricing for the most part hasn't changed in many years. I understand it is very time-consuming to go thru each item and update the prices, but it would probably be better to strip prices out entirely until a consistent set could be worked up. Or have no valuations at all, and let the market determine what something goes for.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Previous