Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:22 am 

Has anyone seen these documentaries?

The Dungeons & Dragons Experience:

http://www.thedungeonsanddragonsexperience.com/

Uber Goober:

Ãœber Goober - A Film about Gamers

Life with a Dice Bag:

Life With the Dice Bag DVD | gamegrene.com

I still have found no information about Dave Arneson's "Dragons in the Basement"

http://www.gamers.com/news/349480.

Invincible 8O

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:11 pm 

The Dungeons & Dragons Experience
The Dungeons & Dragons Experience DVD | gamegrene.com
The Dungeons & Dragons Experience is hard to find … It's almost as obscure as the infamous Arneson documentary Dragons in the Basement, which apparently aired once at GenCon 2000 and hasn't been seen since.

Yahoo! GeoCities: Get a web site with easy-to-use site building tools.
In 2000, Arneson completed work on a documentary called Dragons In The Basement. The documentary is about the genesis of role playing, and includes interviews with Gygax and other early founders. It's uncertain if it's aired (beyond a showing at Gen Con 2000), although Arneson is looking to sell it to PBS or Sci Fi. You can see a preview at his web site.

A Dicebag of Dungeons and Dragons Documentaries - Slashdot
I'm still waiting to see the release of Dave Arneson's _Dragons In The Basement_ which we got a preview of back in GenCon 2000. That's 4 years ago, and still no word on it. There was talk the Sci-Fi channel might pick it up.

404 Not Found
Dragons in the Basement nearing completion! Final bit of investment needed to finish editing. John Kentner is at wits ends with all the final bits, but still a trooper in being accurate in all his interviews.

You should probably try e-mailing John Kentner at [email protected] , which is the hotlink they provided.

:wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:34 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:

In 2000, Arneson completed work on a documentary called Dragons In The Basement. The documentary is about the genesis of role playing, and includes interviews with Gygax and other early founders. It's uncertain if it's aired (beyond a showing at Gen Con 2000), although Arneson is looking to sell it to PBS or Sci Fi. You can see a preview at his web site.

Link is dead :(

This blew me away from the geocities link:

Arneson generally occupies his time these days lecturing at role playing conventions and teaching sailing at a private university in Florida. To this day Arneson still runs his original Blackmoor campaign.

Thats got to be the longest running campagin. 8O

Invincible 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:47 pm 

OK, I e-mailed Mr. Arneson.  I'll let you know if I get a reply.
8)

>>Hi Dave, I've been having an interesting discussion with some established collectors, and we were wondering what ever happened to the Dragons in the Basement project -- was any showing ever made after GenCon 2000?  Has the documentary been released, or sold to SciFi or PBS?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:19 pm 

I just finished watching Uber Goober. It's a solid film as far as independent documentaries go. It carried itself well as it unveiled the gaming world, showing all the diversity from table top wargamers to larping with foam swords and plastic shields. There's lots of humor as to be expected including clips from Mazes and Monsters the Tom Hanks movie, old religious interviews like Dark Dungeons, as well as various D&D TV spots. My favorite part was in the extras where they take Gary for a ride around Lake Geneva and he talks about the old days, pointing out where he and Kaye first got started in a house, consecutive TSR locations, and the first GenCon 8O . There's also an extended interview with Gary about the origins of Chainmail, The Fantasy Supplement, and D&D. Really nice stuff. No mention of Dave Arneson, maybe there's still bad blood? Anyway it's worth checking out.

Link:

Ãœber Goober - A Film about Gamers

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 am 

Did you order this through that web site.  Uber Goober??

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:25 am 

No, I got it from our local comic store that also carries lots of independent/underground films. However they got it through the web site. I just called and asked them for you guys.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:19 am 

Ask the Author, I left much information at:
404 Not Found

:P

From above:
This blew me away from the geocities link:

Quote:
Arneson generally occupies his time these days lecturing at role playing conventions and teaching sailing at a private university in Florida. To this day Arneson still runs his original Blackmoor campaign.

Thats got to be the longest running campagin.

>end from above.
Blackmoor was to be the original name that became Dungeons and Dragons.  It was the FIRST campaign.  And yes it continues.  Every once in a while Dave comes up to Minnesota where it started and plays at the Source Comics and Games.

Coffman Union was where he came up with the game and adapted Naval combat rules to replace GM bias.  Thus the old Armor Class system.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:29 am 

that site you mentioned wrote:After a great deal of discussion . . . yes let us call it "discussion" the
culprit promised to make amends. He, and his associate did. The next time the
orcs attacked the two opened the door and let the Orcs in. They shared the
loot and fled North to the lands of the EGG OF COOT. (Sigh)

Anyone else figure this is a metaphorical, rather than a literal campaign reference?  :roll:

YIM