thegamingfox query
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:51 am 

Has anyone rec'd a query from thegamingfox like this before:

Hello. I have a proposition for you. I like to collect copies of rare D&D products, not for collectability but for using them as research material for my gaming sessions. You have an item I was interested in, and was wondering if you would let me pay you to make B&W copies of it when you get it in the mail. The item I'm interested in is "Your Personal Invitation to Adventure". I'd pay you for the cost of the copies and the shipping, plus some extra (open to negotiation). For the sake of copyright problems, feel free to use indeliable ink markers to note on the pages that these are copies and not originals. I don't care about the collector's value, I just want legible stuff that I can use in the game sessions I run with my friends and families. You can see my feedback rating is 100%, so you can trust any deal with me. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks. thegamingfox

Just curious....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:52 am 

hmm... I have gotten these enquires over time for certain items I have won and/or have in my collection and my answer is no (I've even had an editor of a zine ask if he could have copies of the zine he edited as he didn't keep any copies, my answer to him was that I could copy the work that he had done himeself but none of the other material, which didn't go down too well;)... its up to the individual I suppose but I really fail to see what "research matterial" this item could actually contribute to the gaming session as as far as I know its more to do with the basics of D&D than anything else....

Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:05 pm 

Especially for something like Personal Invitation to Adventure, I'd be wary of someone trying to create fakes.  Maybe he's hoping you won't actually use an indelible marker, and that you'll just send him a straight photocopy?

Sounds a bit suspicious.  Someone looking for a photocopy of B10 is probably legit, but the Personal Invite is completely worthless to anyone but a collector... or a forger.

Scott

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:40 am 

Thanks for the input folks.  My concern was the possible faking of the item,  too, so I'll just write back to let him know it has no practical use in the game :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/