Rule Books and School Books
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:00 pm 

Here's a question how many of you carried your books to grade-school? I'm not talking about game clubs and the sort. I'm talking about to class mixed in between your math and social studies folders. Working on adventures at your desk, school work finished or not, being sent to the principles office for playing D&D while the teacher was lecturing and the sort?
I actually had my books confiscated on a few occasions throughout school. My best story is when my math teacher Miss Betts sent me to the office for rolling up a fighter during study time, and the principle made me open up my locker and had over the rest of my books! :evil:  I was so pissed, but I got him. My best friend at the time Ian and fellow D&D geek who helped in the office for extra credit (what a nerd) commandeered the stack for safe keeping (I still have them!). Mr. O'Keeffe the principle was so mad. He was sure I had stolen them back, but I was home at the time with a solid alibi being yelled at by my mother after his phone call. He even went as far as to say I needed counseling and was a bad influence on the other kids…… :roll: ……I can't agree more that was twenty plus years ago and I'm still at it. :twisted:

Invincible 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:09 pm 

GEEK!

ya I did to

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:14 pm 

Congrats draco76, 100 posts in just over a month!  8O I'm not far behind.  :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:17 pm 

I think I have you beat there, young Jedi.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:48 pm 

I took my books, but I never got in trouble for it.  

Here's a counter for you:  how many of you took your books on your honeymoon?

::raises hand::

Anyone else?

Yes, we played D&D.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:57 pm 

8O If you met a girl like that I'd say marry her, but you did…………Congratulations!

Invincible 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:33 pm 

I used to bring the novels to class all the time. I remember someone bringing a Deities & Demigods w/ Cthulhu mythos and everyone thought that was the holy grail of D&D. I know a few people that didn't believe me when I told them it wasn't that rare.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:13 pm 

Well.....there weren't any hardcovers yet when I was in High School (The MM came out during my freshman year in college).  I don't recall ever bringing my original D&D books to school, but I'm sure I did at some point (never missing a chance to recruit, after all).  

Bringing them to work was more likely since I turned all my co-workers into D&D players back then...

And when I was in college those first few years, class was an opportunity to sleep to make up for the time spent playing D&D at night, so there wasn't much point in bringing my books....

Carl

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:06 pm 

I use to bring my PHB to school every day. I never went anywhere without it. No wonder it got in such bad condition, while all my other books were mint.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:37 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Congrats draco76, 100 posts in just over a month!  8O I'm not far behind.  :D

lol thanks

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:43 pm 

In 10th grade we were studying India and had to break into groups of two and choose an aspect of the culture to present to the class.  The guy I was grouped with didn't play D&D, but I convinced him to do the report on mythology.  I used Deities & Demigods as my sole sourcebook on material.  We go an "A". . . so "Thanks" James Ward and Robert Kuntz!   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:27 am 

LloydBrown wrote:I took my books, but I never got in trouble for it.  

Here's a counter for you:  how many of you took your books on your honeymoon?

::raises hand::

Anyone else?

Yes, we played D&D.

How about using your honeymoon as an excuse to BUY D&D stuff? My lovely bride and I travelled to Portland and Seattle for the honeymoon, I hit every used bookstore, gamestore, etc in both cities and in between. Bought so much stuff I ended up shipping three gigantic boxes full home because I couldn't fit it in the suitcases.  But boy, the places I had to go to pay my wife off for dragging her to all the Half Price books and the old WOTC headquarters store in Seattle....sheesh....I must have gone on every tour, shopping mall and Starbucks in the area.  Oh well, it was worth it, I still have all the stuff AND the lady!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:16 pm 

Oh, man, I thought I was the only one to do that. I bought $320 of used paperbacks and some modules from 2 different stores on my honeymoon. Had the sweet smell of musty old books filling the car for the whole trip home. Ahhhh, memories.....

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:21 am 

when I was a kid my step father came home one night really trashed.  He was so drunk he thought my closet was the bathroom or something; proceded to walk in and piss all over me and my brothers [email protected] books!  To this day my brother still has books with yellow stains!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:34 pm 

I once ran a D&D game for three others in a Geography lesson (and didn't get caught). I did of course, fail my geography GCSE, but that was probably unrellated.

16 years later I work in IT and probably earn more than teachers do. I do hope the kids of today still get up to this kind of harmless fun ...