how many of you guys play/played the online RPGs?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:57 am 

Lets see I played UO when it first came out.. god that was addicting :D
AC after that, AO, ac2(yuk) SWG, you name it i've tried it, well all but EQ....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:31 pm 

A little back in the late 90's with the text only forums on AOL. My biggest problem was the other online members. It was the height of L.A.R.Ping, and I just couldn't handle how stupid people acted. No matter how cool someone was in the beginning they always turned out to be a real ass (there where a few exceptions). I have no time for text arguing and it's turned me off to the idea of on-line role playing (not to mention so many IM's it would freeze up my computer). I'm not against the idea if you have a good group that gets along, but just give me paper, pencil, books, dice, friends, and my imagination and I'm just fine…..

Invincible 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:50 pm 

I have played quite a few; generally they are fun as video games, but not as role playing games, because there is no real roleplaying.

If you like adventure games with RPG elements, there are a few good ones. I would mostly higly recommend the World of Warcraft which is a very fun game.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:18 pm 

I pretty much pay my mortgage with Diablo. Other than that, I stay away from online RPG's. Too addicting.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:46 pm 

I played Ultima Online from 1997-2001. Then I switched over to Neverwinter Nights when that came out and now I am knee deep in that game and will not stop for the next few years I think. Too much content to play and create there :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:49 pm 

I've come damn close to being sucked into the NWN sinkhole of destruction. My neighbor is hooked.
Anyone here play EverCrack?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:54 pm 

Yah, I tried it but once you realise that all you can do is fight, heal, camp, fight, heal, camp...yadayadayada you get un-hooked pretty quick :D

I think it took about a month here to realize this game was not worth my attention. Still a wast of time, that month  :?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:03 pm 

Not a one. Don't want to take the chance of addiction.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:15 pm 

I played EQ from when it came out until around two years later.  At which point it occured to me that it was an addiction and not particularily 'fun' (since when is something fun referred to as 'grinding'?).

On the other hand, as anyone who has ever spent much time around the BioWare forums would know, I am a big fan of NeverWinter Nights, which is online play the way D&D was meant to be played - in a small group, with a DM.  

That said - I will probably play EQII some eventually.  I'm not rushing to buy it (my computer won't handle it at present anyway).  But I'll probably play it some.  And I will probably play D&D Online when it comes out.  But I would never mistake EQ (and most likley D&DO) for a true role-playing game - they are fantasy unit-level strategy games, 100%.

Carl

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:05 am 

Heya Syrsuro :D

Nice to see another NWN "oldtimer" here *g* I didn't even realise that you were registered here at the Acaeum.