value for money?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:34 am 

Given that the Burntwire Bros. and Frank are in the process of selling the bulk of their collections - I wonder are you guys getting the money back that you spent?  I don't mean to be intrusive, I am curious as to whether the market has gone down or up in the last couple of years.  

It may be too early to say of course, but since you have been actively buying off ebay recently - are you getting it back???

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:40 am 

I picked up a lot of my collection before the craze hit. I remember years ago getting about 40 boxed sets like Ashes, Return to ToEE, etc, from a book dealer in Michigan for $100. I imagine the rares will be worth even more with every year that goes by. For every collector that drops out, seven more pop up, and there are finite amounts of things like ST1, brown boxes, etc.
My goal has always been to have one of the largest/most diverse RPG collections out there, and I think I did pretty well. Time to let others enjoy them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:30 pm 

95% of the items we have sold have turned a good profit. Once we start selling the common items this may change. It helps to have a good reputation when selling your collection.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:01 pm 

Like Frank and the Burnts, I picked the vast majority of my collections either as it came out or way before the collection craze hit and way before ebay was even an idea.

All I can say is that I really doubt I would start collecting in this market. Not only are mint or near mint copies pricey, they are getting really hard to find. It seems that today's idea of near mint was yesterday's good. It would definately turn me off.

I can also say that I would not be buying the big money rares. Just too much for my blood at $1000 a pop for the holy trinity and $2000k for a 1st print woody, etc...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/