RPG Museums
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:12 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:And I'm sure you've all perused The Museum of Role Playing Games which has many new updates. The Museum of Role Playing Games

This is amazing. I'm hoping there are others with the desire and the means to preserve our hobby. Please if you're out there contact me about your plans. I'll be happy to help with all the legal information as well as contacts required in setting up a charitable organization. Tax breaks only mean more funds for more RPG gems.

Actually, I didn't know about this.  It is located in De Witt, New York which is basically in Syracuse.  I am in Rochester, NY which is only about 1 1/2 hours away.  Who operates the web site/museum?  Are they a member of the Acaeum?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:58 am 

Since I'm in NYC, I've been curious about this museum as well.  
Whenever I go to the site, I always like the part about the "award-winning" building... who is giving these awards out?   :wink:

But, seriously, on the subject of fantasy museums, I don't think one can really fly unless it's got the original art and manuscripts with notes from the old TSR items.  Those are the unique items that draw people to a museum.  When Gygax passes on, his voluminous notes and ownership of the PHB cover art would make a fine starting point for a great museum.  A first printing woodgrain and a few limited edition modules behind glass are just not going to cut it to get me (most people?) to go to an out-of-the-way place and buy an admission ticket.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:15 pm 

dathon wrote:

But, seriously, on the subject of fantasy museums, I don't think one can really fly unless it's got the original art and manuscripts with notes from the old TSR items. Those are the unique items that draw people to a museum. When Gygax passes on, his voluminous notes and ownership of the PHB cover art would make a fine starting point for a great museum. A first printing woodgrain and a few limited edition modules behind glass are just not going to cut it to get me (most people?) to go to an out-of-the-way place and buy an admission ticket.

I can't agree more so please feel free to sell or donate any or all of these above mentioned items and the like.  :D

On a more serious note you are completely right. Even with all the original art (MM, PHB, DMG, etc + just about every rare It still would only be visited by even the most hardcore Acaeum members once, maybe twice? Our goal is a little different. We want a club house for our community we'd call it a game hall. It's going to have a large game room with tables, an art room with multiple painting stations, and a hanging out area. It's a community thing I know that as well as the rest of the crew. We're just hoping it will bring some liked minded individuals around some days for a chat (If you build it they will come :D ). The "Museum Items" will ring the entire place with standard MM book size and modules on the top shelf and digest size below them. It works out to be about 2 feet with spacing. Use 1" x 2" oak shelving, mylar your books, slide in some acid free backings (I'd suggest two for support), and there you go. Decorate the place accordingly with old posters, maps, original art, 1000's of painted miniatures and almost every TSR product printed many in duplicate + at least 50 other companies products as well. That's about where we stand. We have some other grander ideas as well, but we'll keep it in realm of reality for now (hard for gamers, I know) :wink:  

Invincible 8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:23 pm 

Can you post photos of the place?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:00 pm 

All right, gang, back on track.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:01 pm 

I'll be glad to post pics of our current game room and art room. One of the new players in our Wednesday night game is going to take some digital photos and I'll post them from his url. As far as pics of the X, out of respect for Scott and the Forum I'll refrain from turning our only bit of sanity (most know exactly what I'm saying) into a Jerry Springer episode. Some things have to remain sacred ……..

Invincible  8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:09 pm 

Thank you Scott.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."