Fazzle Dazzle
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:59 pm 

First off I stand corrected after a much closer inspection of our copy of the Fazzle. Here's some info Aneoth.  

1. Cover Cream-Brown 11"x17" folded, both sides printed on a press indicated by black in tone.

2. 11 8 ½ " x 11" (2 first pages?) Double sided with maps printed on one side and text (scenario/general instructions/normal old module room # format) on the reverse.

3. 2 Character sheets? Athelfrogg the Agile Human fm -- 4 / mu -4 / t-8 24hp  :lol:  

4. 1 player evaluation sheet for scoring the adventure.

5. 1 one-sided map second half of map D2 from above double-sided pages (a long room)

Note: the maps are made to use with miniatures with squares about 1"

I've been reading some of the post about fakes and how it scares people off on some of the rarer big dollar items, so this afternoon my buddy Jared and I had some free time and decided to but it to the test. Why not we've invested some coin lately maybe we'd been had. I started off with the extra first page of the Fazz and copied it on four different copiers at Kinkos. Honestly the only difference was the papers age that pina that only comes with time and different general feeling, that old IBM typewriter…Ahhh...you know what I mean. The cover is a whole different story, unquestionably done on a press. Again that dark black tone is unmistakable. You can't get that on a copier.

Next to bat our black-folder POTVQ. No matter what I tried no dice there's that certain grayness to the ink the copier's toner couldn't replicate. And the folder, forget it, as I've stated before the cover art and text is red foil stamp not ink impossible to duplicate unless you had the original die with the text and castle. I'll put up a standing bet if you reproduce this version I'll pay you mint price…No way no how you aren't going to do it.

I'm going to stop here so this post doesn't get stupidly long. I did a few more but I'll restrain. Note we destroyed each copy we made as to not shock some unsuspecting Acaeum member who happen to peer into Kinkos trash can, causing an instant coronary.
It was all done in the name of research, no intensions on becoming the forger. I prefer being the scrounge. For those who know The Great Escape.

Invincible 8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:30 pm 

Not to mention the minor imperfections in yours would be hard to replicate. They are obviously due to age/use.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:07 pm 

Thanks for the research.

While I think you are basically correct in your observations, I will take the position of the devil's advocate.

Printing technology has changed radically since the late 70s and that is the crux of the issue. Modern printing simply looks and feels different - just ask Dan Rather.
However, anyone with access to the right equipment can reproduce those modules with minimal effort. I can tell you right now that MDG used the cheapest printing method possible to create those modules - paper plates instead of metal, etc...
If I had the inclination, I could easily go out and reproduce my holy trinity - say 100 copies of each and it would cost me less than $750 per set of 100. You do the math after that. The hardest part would be matching the paper...but it could be done with some determination.
There are hurdles to be sure. Selling them would take a couple decades.
A better bet would be to duplicate things like Jade Hare. Crap would that be easy..... 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:11 pm 

I wonder what comic collectors do - they must presumably have faced the problem of relatively easy duplication of rare items?  

Anyone know?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:28 pm 

Comic collectors have it easy.  Most of them know how to determine what's real and what isn't.  The one method I know of for determining what is fake and not is to take a magnifying lens and look at a patch of color on a page.  Now, a real four color will have individual dots in various colors throughout this supposedly solid color.  Fakes will be one solid color.  I may have that backwards, but the point is that it's easy to tell, but it requires a close look.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the paper that makes up a comic book is really cheap stuff that you can't generally get at a Kinkos.  It's a variant of newsprint, without the gray cast to it.  The covers are generally easier to forge than the interior, but a dead giveaway will be that the new cover will be slightly out of focus compared to the original.  This is in part due to the aforementioned color dots.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:55 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:First off I stand corrected after a much closer inspection of our copy of the Fazzle. Here's some info Aneoth.  
Invincible 8)

Thank you very much for the additional time and effort in the research. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:22 pm 

tick-tock, tick tock, tick tock..........only one man will be left standing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 63100&rd=1

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:17 pm 

The big guns have moved onto the battlefield, and some may still be laying in wait. Time will tell all…….. I'm going to dinner now….. I can't wait to see who gets it? I'll be back on latter you can bet. GOOD LUCK ALL!

Invincible 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:18 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:The big guns have moved onto the battlefield, and some may still be laying in wait. Time will tell all…….. I'm going to dinner now….. I can't wait to see who gets it? I'll be back on latter you can bet. GOOD LUCK ALL!

Invincible 8)

Is anyone else watching this one (and the Tsoj.) and eating popcorn?  It's better than TV.  :D

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:15 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
invincibleoverlord wrote:The big guns have moved onto the battlefield, and some may still be laying in wait. Time will tell all…….. I'm going to dinner now….. I can't wait to see who gets it? I'll be back on latter you can bet. GOOD LUCK ALL!

Invincible 8)

Is anyone else watching this one (and the Tsoj.) and eating popcorn?  It's better than TV.  :D

Was doing more than watching. Had a nudge to see whether <thefantasymuseum>'s bid was either $666, $699 or $700.
Guessed it was going to be either $750 or $777, then (and turned out to be the latter).

Has usually put "easy to nudge" bids on higher value auctions (*points to auction history*), to date.
(as in "nudge" before deciding whether to go for it, rather than "accidentally" becoming high bidder, too soon).

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:26 pm 

The suspense is terrible!  I hope it will last.
:D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:56 pm 

Willy Wonka wrote:The suspense is terrible!  I hope it will last.
:D

Indeed ... and hour to go and it feels like months ....

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:05 pm 

Wow, had I known it would generate so much interest, I'd have eBayed mine just to see the wolves pounce.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:48 pm 

$787 at 6 mins left......

past my snipe  :x  :cry:  :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:49 pm 

I bet it will go to $900+ in the last 7 sec's

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm 

HOLY COW!  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:55 pm 

improvstone ( 193) US $1,475.00 Nov-16-04 18:53:44 PST  

a2jeff ( 193) US $1,450.00 Nov-16-04 18:53:41 PST

lol nice little last minute action...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:56 pm 

tim66 wrote:HOLY COW!  8O

*g*. Was only expecting around $1,250.
<a2jeff>'s been kinda active, recently...

Congrats, Mike; regardless of the price!
(Ya know I'll be saying it's on the high side, but know you can afford to go that bit extra ;) . So long as not everyone suddenly re-baselines their prices /too/ far upwards!)

Next