Location of Forum Members: I am in Texas, where are you?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:07 pm 

Franklin, IN (Just south of Greenwood IN).  Although we just put a bid in on a house on the north side of Indianapolis, so that may change soon.

Also happy they moved GenCon into my backyard.

Carl

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:33 pm 

Currently living in Kitchener-Waterloo, the city that never sleeps - at least until 8:30 . . .

The Egg

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:26 pm 

I'm here in balmy Cambridge, Ontario, the city that constantly sleeps (based on it's drivers)...

M

"Is it secret; is it safe?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:48 am 

KingOfPain wrote:I was thinking the same thing the other day.  Why are there never any gaming conventions in the Dallas area?  There are several comic and sci-fi conventions every year including the Wizard Texas comic convention.  Dallas is also home to QuakeCon and some smaller video gaming conventions.

I would love to see two things come to Dallas.  The first would be a classic video gaming convention (I am into older arcade games and home systems like Atari, Nintendo, etc.) and the other would be a tabletop gaming convention.  Role-Playing intensive and less of the collectable card game stuff like Magic.  The people that organize GenCon could take some of the ideas that Wizard Comics has done and hold a convention here.  Wizard currently has conventions in Philadelphia, Texas, Chicago, and L.A.  I dont see why they couldnt do it too.

And as for getting together and gaming or just hanging out...that would be cool.  Havent actually done any gaming in years but I am sure I could pick it back up like it was yesterday.  As for pool or beers....Dave & Busters is always a decent place for both.  Email me at [email protected].

When the Dallas Fantasy Fair used to run annually, it was quite a different scene. Unfortunately, when the guy who ran it for years declared bankruptcy no one really stepped in to fill the void, and the conventions have been pretty much nonexistent since.  I don't think we'll get any sort of gaming convention here in Dallas/FW without extensive work and support of the gaming community, which is really not organized enough here to pull off anything like that.  The best we can do are comic book or SF conventions that also have gaming tables.   It's really quite a shame such a large urban metropolis can't put together something along the lines of a two-day gaming convention.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:56 am 

Syrsuro wrote:
Also happy they moved GenCon into my backyard.

Carl

I'm not. I liked Milwaukee. Damn you.  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:09 am 

Aneoth wrote:I am from North texas, as my profile indicates. Where are the rest of you from?

I'm from Brescia, Italy (albeit I'm told there are some locations named Brescia in the US...). I wonder if I am the only European here (counting the British too  :D ).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:31 am 

Liestal, Switzerland here. A little town of 15'000 near Basel in the topmost N-W side of Switzerland.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:55 am 

Sotterraneo wrote:

I'm from Brescia, Italy (albeit I'm told there are some locations named Brescia in the US...). I wonder if I am the only European here (counting the British too  ).

Brescia, the home of the Mille Miglia. Wow! I live in South Florida in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm going to make it to Brescia one of these years. I'm currently looking for an affordable competition Ferrari or Maserati eligible for the race that I could restore (pre 56). No luck so far, but one of these years you can bet I going to make it car or not.

Mike 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:32 am 

...From Perth, Western Australia. A quiet place.........once thought it was awake, but realized it was only dreaming. 8O

But hey, the weather's great! .. and it's not Victoria! (only kidding)  :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:25 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:...From Perth, Western Australia. A quiet place.........once thought it was awake, but realized it was only dreaming. 8O

But hey, the weather's great! .. and it's not Victoria! (only kidding)  :D

AdderMcOone
(Any kin to the Black Adder?)

I have been to Perth.

Way back in the late 70's I was in the US Navy and we were privilege to visit the port there once. In fact, since I was scheduled to be released from active duty within two weeks of our visit there, I was transferred from the ship to a US Naval base just north of Perth. I stayed there on the base doing mostly nothing for the two weeks until I was released from active duty.

I then walked and/or hitched my way across the southern part of Australia until I arrived in Sydney, where I basically partied for four weeks. I eventually ran out of money and so I caught a plane back to the states for final release. My one-way plane ticket issued from the Navy was set to expire one day after the date of my flight, so the timing was very nicely done. When I arrived in Dallas, I had one quarter left in my pocket to call my dad to pick me up at the airport. I was flat broke......

My trip across the southern portion of Australia took almost a month (no hurries mate…) I spent lots of time with many different  folks along the way. And during the two months I was in Australia I had some hellashiously great times with the Ausies. It was a great time down under I must say…one of the most treasured periods of my time in the Navy.

I knew I was going to be in Australia well ahead of time. So, I had previoulsy obtained a Passport with plans to visit several other countries near there. So, if I had it to do all over again, I would have tried much harder to get myself sponsored by some company in Australia so that I could stay far longer, if not forever. Australia was awesome!!!!!!!! :D  :!:

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:02 pm 

Napftor wrote:I'm in Hamburg, PA; a northeast suburb of Philadelphia.

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA but originally from Hamburg, NY.

Wacky.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:27 am 

In the Army, so right now I'm living on Oahu's north shore, Hawaii.  From NW Arkansas originally, lived in California and Texas during training.  Moving back to AR as soon as they'll let me.  

There are a couple of good stores here, but the best by far is this place called Jelly's.  Giant store with everything from new & used music (on all mediums), new/used books, and most importantly, new/used gaming stuff of all kinds.  Not to mention free playing space, and being on a first name basis with most of the guys in the gaming department.  :)  There's going to be one thing I miss after leaving here, and it certainly won't be the drivers.

Insert interesting and/or humorous quote here.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:08 pm 

Lafayette, Louisiana here. There are absolutely no conventions here eaither.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:55 pm 

Just a note:

I sell about 75 TSR items a month and I have to say that I send more to Texas than any other state. The next closest is the North East (as whole).

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Previous