Location of Forum Members: I am in Texas, where are you?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:26 pm 

I am from North texas, as my profile indicates. Where are the rest of you from?

In the past few weeks. I have noted many Texas newbies (Including myself of course) on this forum...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:39 am 

Addison. ;) Grew up in east Plano and have been playing since the red box came out. Hmm... actually it might have been just before that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:32 am 

HELL! aka Illinois, right by St.louis, MO

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:20 am 

San Jose, CA, not too far from Jon, though we still haven't managed to meet up....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:27 pm 

It always surprises me all the collectors from Texas; probably since we couldn't get any of the good stuff growing up, seeing as we are in the hinterlands when it came to distribution in the late 70's. Now we're overcompensating...
  I'm based in the Mid-cities between Dallas & FW.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:57 am 

Sydney, Australia - not the kind of place where you'll find a Tsojconth just hanging around in a second hand bookstore.  :(

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:24 am 

Central California, just south of Fresno. Just far enough away for my town to lack any importance. Could be worse, I could be in Australia. Whoops, scratch that. :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:17 am 

One more Texan here in the Dallas area....Plano to be exact.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:22 pm 

Milford, Michigan - suburb of Detroit.

Flew into Ft. Hood while I was in the Army. Spent a few hours there and then on to Panama. So, I too have been in Texas 8O  :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:30 pm 

I'm in Hamburg, PA; a northeast suburb of Philadelphia.

Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
---------------------
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)

WWW YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:47 pm 

Shelton, Ct.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:43 pm 

I am in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

I was looking through the introduce yourself thread a while ago and was surprised to see a number of people in the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge area.  And you think Texas is in the hinterlands? let me tell you ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:19 pm 

Mars wrote:I am in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

I was looking through the introduce yourself thread a while ago and was surprised to see a number of people in the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge area.  And you think Texas is in the hinterlands? let me tell you ...

I'm exaggerating a little.  When I first started playing D&D in 1979, there was exacly one store in the D/FW area that sold gaming stuff.  Until I bought the book Heroic Worlds in 1991 (still a fantastic reference work) I didn't even know half that stuff existed.  Thank God for the internet.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:49 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:One more Texan here in the Dallas area....Plano to be exact.

LOL now that is amazing!  8O  :)

I live in McKinney........

There have been 12 posts in this thread and four of them were posted by folks that live within one hours drive of the other three. And three of us live less than a 1/2 hour from the others.....

Between you (kingofpain), Badmike,  tim66, and myself we have enough folks to make a go at some tabletop gaming....

Perhaps we should discuss the possiblity of getting a tabletop game going, or if nothing else, perhaps just meet one saturday to shoot some pool, and talk about the ole' days when we had this Dwarf Fighter that could take on two hill giants by himself and still whip there butts.....

BTW: Pool is a Poor mans version of Billiards to those in europe, Kalifornia, and the Northeast part of the USA.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:55 am 

Aneoth wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:One more Texan here in the Dallas area....Plano to be exact.

LOL now that is amazing!  8O  :)

I live in McKinney........

There have been 12 posts in this thread and four of them were posted by folks that live within one hours drive of the other three. And three of us live less than a 1/2 hour from the others.....

Between you (kingofpain), Badmike,  tim66, and myself we have enough folks to make a go at some tabletop gaming....

Perhaps we should discuss the possiblity of getting a tabletop game going, or if nothing else, perhaps just meet one saturday to shoot some pool, and talk about the ole' days when we had this Dwarf Fighter that could take on two hill giants by himself and still whip there butts.....

BTW: Pool is a Poor mans version of Billiards to those in europe, Kalifornia, and the Northeast part of the USA.

Only TWO hill giants?  My brother had three dwarf fighters who went through G1-3 and...
    Oh nevermind...
    It always amazes me that with all the gamers and collectors in the North TX area, there is exactly zero gaming conventions in this area every year.  Mindboggling that driving to Ok City is pretty much the closest unless you want to go to Missouri.  There's really very little to nothing in Houston, Austin and San Antonio (although it's still tons more than the D/FW area).  There's Aggiecon (College Station) and Owlcon (Rice university Houston) every year, that's about it.  Maybe that's what all of us should do, have our own swap meet some Saturday, and bring our collectible goodies so someone out there can ooh and ahh over them that appreciates the item for what it's worth...as you can guess, my wife gets very little buzz out of having me flash her an RPGA1 or MERP Umbar or Runequest Big Rubble (her response is always "What's it worth?" followed by "Ok, but what can you SELL it for?").
    I don't know about gaming since I don't have the time, but if nothing else we can meet up somewhere, Hell at the very least we could kill a few beers as long as we don't spill any on my 1st edition goodies. I don't know the collecting situations of any of you other guys, but I know it would be no problem to lug a few rares along somewhere to show off to someone that would be interested.  You guys for all I know have better stuff than me, I'd love to paw through some stuff I don't have. Since I seem to be travelling the farthest over the worst roads as the saying goes, if you guys can think of a place to meet over in North Dallas/Plano I'm game.  My email is [email protected] if you want to get something started.
   BTW, I'm about 75% sure I'm working tables at Aggiecon this year, even if we don't get together let me know if you are going to be there (it's sometime in April next year) and we'll meet up in College Station.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:42 am 

Winnipeg, Canada. Four hours north of Fargo, so I'm literally in the middle of nowhere.

I see a few other Canadians on here - anyone else from my corner of the world?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:05 pm 

I was thinking the same thing the other day.  Why are there never any gaming conventions in the Dallas area?  There are several comic and sci-fi conventions every year including the Wizard Texas comic convention.  Dallas is also home to QuakeCon and some smaller video gaming conventions.

I would love to see two things come to Dallas.  The first would be a classic video gaming convention (I am into older arcade games and home systems like Atari, Nintendo, etc.) and the other would be a tabletop gaming convention.  Role-Playing intensive and less of the collectable card game stuff like Magic.  The people that organize GenCon could take some of the ideas that Wizard Comics has done and hold a convention here.  Wizard currently has conventions in Philadelphia, Texas, Chicago, and L.A.  I dont see why they couldnt do it too.

And as for getting together and gaming or just hanging out...that would be cool.  Havent actually done any gaming in years but I am sure I could pick it back up like it was yesterday.  As for pool or beers....Dave & Busters is always a decent place for both.  Email me at [email protected].

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:07 pm 

Greenwood, IN just south of Indianapolis. Really nice now that GenCon is here.

Shawn

Next