Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 53 of 113123 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 111112113
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:58 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I just about crapped myself when I read the description. Valued at over $50,000....by whom??? Who wants to shoot off the first question to the seller how they came upon this item and how they know it to be genuine?

What a load of SH*T.  Some people just think the population is stupid.  How could they possibly authenticate this piece.  It would take Gary Gygax himself to drop it off at my house before I believed this liar.

Biter biter biter

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:18 pm 

It does look like the keep with the dragon's head poking out from the cover of the Judges Guild Gen Con IX tournament module.   :?

Used by Gary Gygax to create his rules?  How about a pipe that belonged to Sitting Bull?   :(

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:26 pm 

Here's your response on the castle:

price based on overall net income T.S.R Hobbies 1982 which was 52.2 millon

What an idiot.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:42 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Here's your response on the castle:

What an idiot.

I don't even understand what the hell that is supposed to mean. :? Also, that thing isn't even that big, its dimentions are only 23" L by 23" W by 10" H.   The picture that they took of it makes it look much larger than what it really is.    Finally, has anyone bothered to ask the seller as to the supposed authenticity?? I am actually half tempted to go over on to Dragonsfoot and ask EGG myself if he has ever seen this thing before in his life.   If I am a betting man, I am saying no. :roll: Oh and last thing, who the hell is G Gary Gygax??? I wonder if he is a relative of E Gary Gygax. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:52 pm 

Well, I couldn't help myself so I asked:

bclarkie wrote:Dear Seller, I was wondering about this item that you have for sale.  First off you state that this item was used as inspiriation for the creation of the Dungeons & Dragons Role Playing Game by E. Gary Gygax.  Where did you come about this item being that TSR was located in Lake Geneva Wisconson and do you have some sort of letter of authenticy that that states this information or can officially substantiate this in any way.  Secondly, you state that this piece has a value of over $50,000.00, did you have this item officially appraised and if so do you have a copy of the appaisal that I might be able to see or if not where did you come to gather that the value of this item would be that much. Thanks for your time, Brian

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:28 pm 

I wasn't wasting too many words with the seller. Guess they took the same tack, in return...

Q: Provenance?
A: possible

*g*. I'm sure someone's asking EGG, anyhow... :)

==

Deadlord36 wrote:Here's your response on the castle:

What an idiot.

I don't even know where that figure came from, fwiw in that context(!); c/w Dungeons & Dragons

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:37 pm 

Well, here is the reply I received to my question:

Response from apache3244  
Item: Castle (8757431549)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
apache3244 is the seller.

My name is R.L.DeZomits and I am the former Senior Toy And Hobbie Designer for T.S.R Hobbies
located in Lake Geneva 1980 thru 1985 could only get the piece appasied as an antique toy givent o me by E Gary Gygax jr signed and dated at theat time.

Thoughts on that??

Aside, I am not sure everyone knows this but EGG's health is not good. He was actually scheduled for surgery about 3 weeks ago which was since cancelled, but today he let everyone know his prognosis, and it is not very good news:  :(

Dragonsfoot • View topic - Q&A With Gary Gygax, Part V

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:44 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:price based on overall net income T.S.R Hobbies 1982 which was 52.2 millon

I know it's only Jan. 28, but this is my new leader for the coveted Stupidest Thing I've Heard In 2006 Award.

+++++

My gut feeling, BTW, is that this guy is being misled by a third party (a friend, a former D&D buddy, a co-worker, etc.). Except for this auction, the seller seems reasonable enough: 700-plus feedback, 100-percent ratio, on eBay since 2002, etc.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:49 pm 

Did anyone else notice the title of this listing? I was so taken aback by the description that I didn't pick up on it until just now.

It's "Castle." That's the entire auction title.

Nice use of keywords, there, brother. Image

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Aside, I am not sure everyone knows this but EGG's health is not good. He was actually scheduled for surgery about 3 weeks ago which was since cancelled, but today he let everyone know his prognosis, and it is not very good news: :(

No, I didn't know. :( :(

Thanks for the forward, Brian.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:16 pm 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Aside, I am not sure everyone knows this but EGG's health is not good. He was actually scheduled for surgery about 3 weeks ago which was since cancelled, but today he let everyone know his prognosis, and it is not very good news: :(

No, I didn't know. :( :(

Thanks for the forward, Brian.

Dang.   :(

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:35 pm 

faro wrote:I'm sure someone's asking EGG, anyhow... :)

Some good news here -- not that it mitigates the opening minimum. :/

I asked Gary and showed him a picture, and he sez (this afternoon):

"That's an Elastolin castle, and I did play with [same or something like it] at GenCon I and other places -- using the Chainmail rules. Has nothing to do with the fantasy end of [design] things though, and I didn't own a castle like that to the best of my recollection. Of course I note the claim is that 'Gary Gygax used it,' so that might be so..." [insertions mine]

Furthermore, I remember Bob DeZomits; he worked with Art Neckerman on minis and had some minimal input in toys. The old Elastolin castle easily might have been left in the basement of the hobby shop or the warehouse out on (lower) Sheridan Springs Rd., and the latter is where the minis were made. I also scarfed some kewl stuff outta that building when we moved 200 yards up the hill, into the new building.

For what it's worth...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:10 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
faro wrote:I'm sure someone's asking EGG, anyhow... :)

Some good news here -- not that it mitigates the opening minimum. :/

Thank you for checking, Frank.

Yeah, I'm with you regarding the opening-$ rendering the issue somewhat academic-- for the likes of us, anyhow.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:16 pm 

OK...this is about as ridiculous as I've ever seen

Dungeons and Dragons Books | eBay

"extremely rare" and "you'll probably never see another one like it" are bad enough...but then to advertise it as "autographed" is just way too much!!!  :roll:

But just watch the newbs fight over it...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:18 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:OK...this is about as ridiculous as I've ever seen

"extremely rare" and "you'll probably never see another one like it" are bad enough...but then to advertise it as "autographed" is just way too much!!! :roll:

Um, maybe someone should send her an email and tell her that they are ALL like that. :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:28 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
seeyouinescrow wrote:OK...this is about as ridiculous as I've ever seen

"extremely rare" and "you'll probably never see another one like it" are bad enough...but then to advertise it as "autographed" is just way too much!!! :roll:

Um, maybe someone should send her an email and tell her that they are ALL like that. :roll:

Done...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:49 pm 

At the GenCon auction, we call that "defaced by author signature".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:08 pm 

This guy has a bunch of oringinal stuff:

eBay listings

:D

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 53 of 113123 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 111112113