Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 5 of 11312, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 111112113
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:22 pm 

Maybe I'm the laughable one here, has anyone ever heard of this?

Is it a substitute to d20 for people with "standard" dice?

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 3&rd=1

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:27 pm 

Maybe for people who have trouble counting up to double-digit numbers.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:16 am 

Not so laughable.  These two books are for West End Games' D6 system, which is the same system that powered their edition of Star Wars.  After losing the Star Wars license, they genericized the game system and released a core book.  They've continued to release supplement books since then.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:45 am 

Traveller wrote:Not so laughable.  These two books are for West End Games' D6 system, which is the same system that powered their edition of Star Wars.  After losing the Star Wars license, they genericized the game system and released a core book.  They've continued to release supplement books since then.

This old system is doomed to failure.  They should have released D20 stuff.  No one can compete with D20 now that Wizards is opened it up; that was an amazing marketing ploy!!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:54 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:This old system is doomed to failure.  They should have released D20 stuff.  No one can compete with D20 now that Wizards is opened it up; that was an amazing marketing ploy!!!

I hope you are joking.  Otherwise sir, I will have whatever it is you are smoking.  Because by that logic, Chaosium's Basic Role Playing should have failed years ago.  The version of the rules as found in 6th edition Call of Cthulhu and 5th edition Stormbringer aren't radically different from their early incarnations.  The same cannot be said for d20 Fantasy, although Chaosium did release a d20 port of Stormbringer (Dragon Lords of Melniboné) that was rather sucky.  But then again d20 Fantasy sucks wind anyway.

I've heard from people at Chaosium that the Basic Role Playing system may get a licensing scheme like the OGL.  To me that would be frickin cool, because then I could legally take d20 Fantasy, strip out the game mechanics, and replace them with the BRP versions.  I'm doing that now, but without anyone's blessing.  Much simpler, far more streamlined, just plain better.  That's BRP.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:23 pm 

Look at the condition of the B1  8O why would you even consider puting it on eBay? In the description he has the old part right  :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 47616&rd=1

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:51 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Look at the condition of the B1  8O why would you even consider puting it on eBay? In the description he has the old part right  :lol:

Take a look at his feedback ... notice all the negs. No wonder he has gone private!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:51 am 

improvstone wrote:Take a look at his feedback ... notice all the negs. No wonder he has gone private!

Also note the date-stamp on the photo is from early 1999. So, add it up:

Private feedback = red flag
Very poor % of positives = red flag
Old, old photo = red flag
Thrashed condition = red flag

I wouldn't bid on this if it was free and the seller walked it up to my doorstep.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:06 am 

This looks like a ghostly aberration of a Basic Rule Book. Read the description and it should explain why the photo is so mysterious.  :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 15810&rd=1

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:05 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Look at the condition of the B1  8O why would you even consider puting it on eBay? In the description he has the old part right  :lol:

Heh, my mono B1 when I received it was in worse shape.  Since I didn't get it for collectibility purposes but for playing, the condition wasn't a big deal.  Some staples pulled from a copy of Smithsonian magazine, paper, glue, and that self-stick laminating plastic sold at drug stores and the like and mine was ready for prime time playing.

Nevertheless I do agree with you.  The condition is just too bad to sell.  Give it away?  Well that's how I got mine.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:55 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:This looks like a ghostly aberration of a Basic Rule Book. Read the description and it should explain why the photo is so mysterious.  :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 15810&rd=1

Shal we say "gently used"  :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:16 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5940571891

AD&D 1st Ed. Dieties and Demigods Origional Version

Here is a copy of the origional version of Dieties and Demigods which included the Nehwonian and Cthuluu Mythos. This is a very rare edition. It is in excellent condition (especially for its age). It has been owned and cared for by an adult (i.e. no pencil marks or torn pages etc.). Here is a perfect (and hard to find) addition to any collector's library or for those of us holding on to the First Edition for far too long. Good luck.

lol he has a picture of a 3rd print one hehe
stupid people

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:51 pm 

draco76 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5940571891

AD&D 1st Ed. Dieties and Demigods Origional Version

Here is a copy of the origional version of Dieties and Demigods which included the Nehwonian and Cthuluu Mythos. This is a very rare edition. It is in excellent condition (especially for its age). It has been owned and cared for by an adult (i.e. no pencil marks or torn pages etc.). Here is a perfect (and hard to find) addition to any collector's library or for those of us holding on to the First Edition for far too long. Good luck.

lol he has a picture of a 3rd print one hehe
stupid people

Why do 8 out of 10 people write "dieties" instead of "deities"? Does this come from drinking too much diet pepsi perhaps?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:23 pm 

Ralf, the simple explanation is:

"i" before "e" except after "c" , unless the word sounds like "a" as in "neighbor" and "weigh"

Deities seems to confuse many - it is sometimes pronounced with a hard "e" as in DEE-a-tees which would tend to support the English thinking to spell it with the "i" before the "e".  

Alternately, it can be pronounced like DAY-a-tees which would give it the "a" sound like in "weigh".  

Oh, and before you bring up the the word "weird" (like in your signature line) - let me add that it is an exception to this rule.  

If I remember correctly, weird is derived from the middle-english world "werde" which was taken from the old English world "wyrd".  At some point in its current evolution, an "i" must have been inserted, while still maintaining the "we" sound.  

(I know I am rambling on, but, you see, if I don't take these little opportunities to use my English major/history minor then all the money  invested in college really is for nothing. . . .  :D  )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:43 pm 

lol you wanan edit my research paper for me :D

I'll cancel that snipe.....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:44 pm 

ah damnit was too late, freaken dark got it lol

haven't heard anything from that guy sence the whole feedback deal ......
I don't think he loves us anymore...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:58 pm 

There must be a reason sellers do this, but I have no idea what.

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 0&rd=1

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:14 pm 

beats me

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 5 of 11312, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 111112113