Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 113123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 111112113
Author


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:19 am 
 

I don't see the problem.  Imagine you're a newbie collector and have never heard of this book.  Frank's history notes serve to reinforce the assertion that it's rare and collectible.  No big deal, as far as I'm concerned.  Keep in mind the description probably reads much differently to us than it would to someone who's completely unaware of The Acaeum, for example.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:24 am 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I don't see the problem. Imagine you're a newbie collector and have never heard of this book. Frank's history notes serve to reinforce the assertion that it's rare and collectible. No big deal, as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind the description probably reads much differently to us than it would to someone who's completely unaware of The Acaeum, for example.


Personally I could care less, but it is against Ebay's rules for keyword spamming. As long as people are not stealing my auction descriptions they can put whatever the hell they want into theirs. :wink: BTW Stephen, Did you get my most recent email?


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4751
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 04, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:59 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:AD D Collectible LEGENDS LORE hc beauty NR WOW | eBay



I hope this guy is just joking about the "bonfire". :?




There, I just saved that book from a firey doom. :)




How about this one?



Dungeons Dragons MONSTER MANUAL Gygax TSR Vintage OLD | eBay



Looks like $1.99 worth of kindling to me.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:57 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Alright David, How the hell did you pull this off? :?



eBay.com Item Bid History



I could understand if you were the first bidder on this auction with a $0.01 opening bid, but I can't figure this one out for the life of me.




C'mon tell me dammit.


:lol:

Is not the first time, either: wondered when someone would notice.

Should've guessed it would be you, Brian! ;)



eBay changed their rules without saying they'd done so. Am guessing they received many complaints about people being encouraged to bid higher when they were in the lead, but the system previously forcing them to bid only in the standard increments (thus leaving them totally vulnerable to underbidders pushing the bidding without any risk of winning "accidentally").



However, on that latest item it looks like the "do you want to bid higher" (whilst already winning) option has vanished. Is that indeed the case?

*

Mass confusion on the whole concept of proxy bidding on the part of eBay, I'd say...

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:13 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:


C'mon tell me dammit.


:lol:

Is not the first time, either: wondered when someone would notice.

Should've guessed it would be you, Brian! ;)



eBay changed their rules without saying they'd done so. Am guessing they received many complaints about people being encouraged to bid higher when they were in the lead, but the system previously forcing them to bid only in the standard increments (thus leaving them totally vulnerable to underbidders pushing the bidding without any risk of winning "accidentally").



However, on that latest item it looks like the "do you want to bid higher" (whilst already winning) option has vanished. Is that indeed the case?

*

Mass confusion on the whole concept of proxy bidding on the part of eBay, I'd say...


Interesting..... I just tried this and it didnt work. :?   Maybe it is an EBay UK thing.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:20 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:Interesting..... I just tried this and it didnt work. :? Maybe it is an EBay UK thing.


Well, I just tried that on a UK auction and it didn't work there, either: the system insisted on full increments again.

So much for consistency... :?



Still think that the obvious way this should've been handled is to allow the high-bidder to alter their proxy bid upwards, but replacing their bid rather than making a new bid. (Why should they actually have to "make another bid" when they're already winning?).

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:13 am 
 

EX Rental VHS | eBay



8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O   :D



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1109
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 19, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:06 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote: EX Rental VHS | eBay



8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O  :D




Well Cougie has done it again  8O



I assume now that his private collection is no longer private  8O

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:24 am 
 

Well here it is, the new grading scale for RPGs:



eBay



It is the nanner system of grading. 8O  :lol:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:48 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Interesting..... I just tried this and it didnt work. :? Maybe it is an EBay UK thing.


Well, I just tried that on a UK auction and it didn't work there, either: the system insisted on full increments again.

So much for consistency... :?



Still think that the obvious way this should've been handled is to allow the high-bidder to alter their proxy bid upwards, but replacing their bid rather than making a new bid. (Why should they actually have to "make another bid" when they're already winning?).


This sort of thing...?

eBay UK Item Bid History



Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:57 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

Well, I just tried that on a UK auction and it didn't work there, either: the system insisted on full increments again.

So much for consistency... :?



Still think that the obvious way this should've been handled is to allow the high-bidder to alter their proxy bid upwards, but replacing their bid rather than making a new bid. (Why should they actually have to "make another bid" when they're already winning?).


This sort of thing...?

eBay UK Item Bid History



Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?




I think that I have figured it out. :idea:  It will allow you to place less than incremental bids if you already have more than 2 bids in on an item.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:02 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:
johnhuck wrote:This sort of thing...?

eBay UK Item Bid History



Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?




I think that I have figured it out. :idea: It will allow you to place less than incremental bids if you already have more than 2 bids in on an item.


That's the one, John! :P



OK Brian, please let me know where it says that in the eBay "manual"? :?

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:08 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:


I think that I have figured it out. :idea: It will allow you to place less than incremental bids if you already have more than 2 bids in on an item.


That's the one, John! :P



OK Brian, please let me know where it says that in the eBay "manual"? :?


Then realises that he's inadvertently alerted everyone to those fanzines! :oops: Not that I expected to win anyway.  Probably a dozen snipes waiting in the wings.



Talking of which.  I'm going to be without a PC for a week.  So, bye for now.  Must do some serious snipe setting.  And hope that £5 BIN ST1 doesn't materialise in the next week. :cry:

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:26 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:Then realises that he's inadvertently alerted everyone to those fanzines! :oops: Not that I expected to win anyway. Probably a dozen snipes waiting in the wings.


*lol*. No probs: I saw the mention of mildew and immediately reassessed whether it was worthwhile for the few copies I was missing.



johnhuck wrote:Talking of which. I'm going to be without a PC for a week. So, bye for now. Must do some serious snipe setting. And hope that £5 BIN ST1 doesn't materialise in the next week. :cry:


Heh, heh... Take care, y'all. :)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:32 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:
Then realises that he's inadvertently alerted everyone to those fanzines! :oops: Not that I expected to win anyway. Probably a dozen snipes waiting in the wings.





:D



  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:15 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
OK Brian, please let me know where it says that in the eBay "manual"? :?




I dont think that it would be *referenced* specifically, but it should be listed under the section: "Nothing about Ebay will make any sense to anyone, so it is not worth your effort trying to figure it out". :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:24 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:
Then realises that he's inadvertently alerted everyone to those fanzines! :oops: Not that I expected to win anyway. Probably a dozen snipes waiting in the wings.





:D


As well as the snipes on that other nameless lot.  nudge, nudge,  :wink: :wink:

I'm only after one of the lot.  So, if anyone ends up with some duplicates, then let me know.   It's not really worth sniping if I've got all but one of them is it?!?  Mouse hovers over "Cancel Snipe".  :?:

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:36 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:
I'm only after one of the lot. So, if anyone ends up with some duplicates, then let me know.  It's not really worth sniping if I've got all but one of them is it?!? Mouse hovers over "Cancel Snipe". :?:




i mean who hasnt got a snipe ready :)



the guy selling must be crapping it with the number of watchers :D



  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 113123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 111112113