Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 34 of 113123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 111112113
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:49 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
Traveller wrote:Little does the guy know that the moment a picture is taken there is an automatic copyright on it, just like written material is copyrighted the moment it's done.

Question on that -- if I steal a writer's notes before it's finished, is it still copyrighted? (Ok, sure, it's outright theft to steal the physical paper, let's skip that bit for now.)

When is something officially and automatically "copyrighted" -- after each character is written? After each word? When the pen starts to move? When the whole thing is finished and the author puts the pen down? When he picks the pen up to write? Assume similar questions for digital media. I don't know the answers, but someone must have thought this through by now. It seems to me copyright has to include something essentially original, as well, and not all photos/digital images are worthy works of art, by a long shot.

I think taking someone else's picture for auction purposes is wrong, but not for the same reason you do -- because it cannot represent the item being sold. The number of times I've seen the Acaeum 1st print MM image up is probably beyond counting -- and most of them are 5ths on later interrogation.

To deep for me!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:13 am 

Copyright for a picture is different than for the written word. As soon as something is published, it's automatically copyright. There's no requirement for a picture to be "art" for it to be protected.

It's for this reason that folks will print out a document with a copyright notice, and mail it to themselves to get a date stamped on the envelope, which stays sealed. That way, if someone steals a manuscript they sent to a company for review or something, the person can pull out a copy to prove their ownership of the material.

Or, if you want it to be -really- official, have a lawyer/notary notarize your copy.

For a picture with standard film, as soon as it's produced (ie - a physical copy has been made), it's automatically copyright. With digital media, I'm not sure if there's been any cases that have thoroughly tested the timeline. I expect that as soon as the picture is taken, it's copyright.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:47 pm 

Nice lot of "essentials" at a good price, but nothing spectacular:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 2&rd=1

So why am I posting it here instead of "interesting items"? Well, there's the save vs. Falling Sleep reading the item list, and check out the last few pictures -- flocks of D&D butterflies! :)

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:51 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Nice lot of "essentials" at a good price, but nothing spectacular:

So why am I posting it here instead of "interesting items"? Well, there's the save vs. Falling Sleep reading the item list, and check out the last few pictures -- flocks of D&D butterflies! :)

Thanks for letting us know there's nothing spectacular, There's no way I could have actually read that description, got dizzy on after about 20 seconds.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:21 pm 

Apparently some collectors have smaller dreams than others?  B2s are so rare these days.  :roll:

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 8&rd=1

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Nice lot of "essentials" at a good price, but nothing spectacular:

Yeah, it's unfortunate that so few sellers know the basics of HTML.

I did cringe at those pictures though - D&D butterflies indeed. If the guy does that to his books, I don't want to know what else has been done to them over the years.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:06 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Apparently some collectors have smaller dreams than others? B2s are so rare these days. :roll:

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 8&rd=1

That's almost as funny as his claim:
"All of the books show no wear on the covers with no falling apart and  mint conditions on the inside pages"

:roll:

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:26 pm 

I salute this seller's innate gift for salesmanship. I loved the last line. As if the condition isn't confirmed from the photo.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 13788&rd=1

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:35 pm 

Tmesis wrote:I salute this seller's innate gift for salesmanship. I loved the last line. As if the condition isn't confirmed from the photo.

Heheh. Well, I think he was offering to send pics to confirm the pages weren't horribly marred, instead of just "dog-eared" ;)

And, because it's funny, here's a personal contribution to the thread. I recently sold a book that I literally, in the item title, described as "The Worst Monster Book Ever"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:38 pm 

Tmesis wrote:I salute this seller's innate gift for salesmanship. I loved the last line. As if the condition isn't confirmed from the photo.

*rofl*. Neat text! 8)

Condition should be described as "near average" for a GW MM, phps? ;)

Actually, the last line would be useful even though it's likely a 3rd print judging by the PHB they have for sale. Just be careful the text block doesn't fall out in the process! :oops:

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:31 am 

GraysonAC wrote:And, because it's funny, here's a personal contribution to the thread...

Awesome! :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:57 pm 

Tmesis wrote:
GraysonAC wrote:And, because it's funny, here's a personal contribution to the thread...

Awesome! :D

Can I get one of those books? :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:04 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=16489

I imagine the figurine is from the southern US.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:23 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4&category =16489

I imagine the figurine is from the southern US.

LOL DL  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Name=WD10V

Our favorite kitty doesn't know the difference between Dungeons & Dragons and Castles & Crusades.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:54 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Question on that -- if I steal a writer's notes before it's finished, is it still copyrighted? (Ok, sure, it's outright theft to steal the physical paper, let's skip that bit for now.)

When is something officially and automatically "copyrighted" -- after each character is written? After each word? When the pen starts to move? When the whole thing is finished and the author puts the pen down? When he picks the pen up to write? Assume similar questions for digital media. I don't know the answers, but someone must have thought this through by now. It seems to me copyright has to include something essentially original, as well, and not all photos/digital images are worthy works of art, by a long shot.

I think taking someone else's picture for auction purposes is wrong, but not for the same reason you do -- because it cannot represent the item being sold. The number of times I've seen the Acaeum 1st print MM image up is probably beyond counting -- and most of them are 5ths on later interrogation.

To deep for me!!

Works in progress are protected by copyright, so if you steal anything, you've stolen it.

Easy.

On the other hand, I'm of mixed feelings about auction pictures.

Regards,

Stephen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:27 pm 

Nice auction, some common stuff in decent condition, but man, for those of us on slow internet connections, this listing is indeed laughable:

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 2&rd=1

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:53 pm 

Achizar wrote:Also, is it just me or does he seem to think that when you cut out part of a page, it doesn't affect the page's other side? :roll:

LOL...the incredible thing to me is, somebody paid $12.50 plus shipping for it!  Talk about throwing your $ in the trash.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 34 of 113123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 111112113