Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 113123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 111112113
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:10 am 

thing is jeff, the mail order hobby shop is a business in the end and you can profit margin all your goods BEFORE they are listed for sale, so any outlay is generally taken care of BEFORE shipping. with ebay, everything is generally cheaper than bought privately (90%+) and you also have ebay charges AND paypal charges to also contend with, which for a cheap item, generally hammers a helluva lot out of a price you are selling for. you don't have this problem with a private sale (unless you use paypal). so as an individual, you have to try and add a minimal sum to try and take care of whatever your general outlay is for the things required to send an item.

like i said, i don't mind a minimal handling fee at all, but some of them i have been charged, jeez man!

also, as a private business, you can have a flat shipping fee and charge paypal/visa charges if you wish as you are not breaching anybodys rules (ie ebay).

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:35 am 

killjoy32 wrote:thing is jeff, the mail order hobby shop is a business in the end and you can profit margin all your goods BEFORE they are listed for sale, so any outlay is generally taken care of BEFORE shipping. with ebay, everything is generally cheaper than bought privately (90%+) and you also have ebay charges AND paypal charges to also contend with, which for a cheap item, generally hammers a helluva lot out of a price you are selling for. you don't have this problem with a private sale (unless you use paypal). so as an individual, you have to try and add a minimal sum to try and take care of whatever your general outlay is for the things required to send an item.

like i said, i don't mind a minimal handling fee at all, but some of them i have been charged, jeez man!

also, as a private business, you can have a flat shipping fee and charge paypal/visa charges if you wish as you are not breaching anybodys rules (ie ebay).

Al

I totally understand, I was just trying to illustrate that combined/discounted shipping is always an option, and one that will net return customers.  I did say that I wouldn't expect free shipping from an ebay auction (though on some of my larger purchases I have gotten free shipping, but thats an exception to the rule).  

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:44 am 

deimos3428 wrote:As bad as some online retailers are regarding price/shipping, they seem to pale in comparison to local RPG shops these days.

At least with a local RPG shop you can see what you're buying. You don't have to rely on some lying b*stard.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:53 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:As bad as some online retailers are regarding price/shipping, they seem to pale in comparison to local RPG shops these days.

At least with a local RPG shop you can see what you're buying. You don't have to rely on some lying b*stard.

its funny you should mention that....i got a small parcel off that tonya girl person today (some things i got AGES ago)...

i tell you something...if that stuff is in EXTRA FINE condition.....i am god. and er no i am not before anyone even TRIES to make a sarcastic comment  :D

it pisses me off really. i try and be as specific as i can when i list something and more often than not, get penalised cos of that. at least i CAN sit there and justify my position cos i bring things up i think you need to know, but others just rake it in and get loads of $ by going OTT on item grading or just pure vagueness of an items flaws.

kinda one of them catch-22 situations isnt it?

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:57 am 

oh yeah and talking of local RPG shops.

i went into one last week and they STILL have an incredibly beat up Q1 PINNED on the wall and they want £20 for it!!!!  8O  i was like WTF??!!

the guy in the shop had the aucacity to say to me "well man, its like really rare and stuff" (he really did sound like something out of a bill & ted film)....to which i just chuckled at him and told him he needs his head examining! :)

he THEN said "anyway dude, that stuff is like really outdated now....you wanna get into the d20 stuff man, its really cool. move into one of the more modern RPGs - thats the place to be"

well i tell you - you can ask my girlfriend, how i managed to not have a choking fit is beyond me! my manic laughter did turn everyones head in the shop tho  :oops:

what a muppet :)

ps. they also had a beat up X1 there too and that was £8.50 !  8O  8O  8O

did make the day a lot of fun tho thats for sure :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:37 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:My problem with Tony's Tight Ass Games or Tony's Ass Wipe Shop, or whatever they are calling themselves now, is that they predominantly sell shite, dress it up to mint and rare, and set out to rip off newbies.

Don't get me wrong. The less money the newbies have the less they'll be cropping up on the auctions I'm bidding on. But we were all newbies once, and I just don't like the way Titan Games and Joe90 (or whatever ETC call themselves) set out to screw the industry. Cougar also has a tendancy to exagerate rarity and condition.

I am amazed that whatever these people buy, and from wherever, they have a magic machine that makes it rare and in very good or excelent condition.

At the end of the day they only hurt newbies I suppose.

Maybe the best way to warn newbies is to have an info page offering advice to newbies on buying on eBay (description, rarity, condition, payment, etc.) and sticking links to various threads.

As bad as some online retailers are regarding price/shipping, they seem to pale in comparison to local RPG shops these days.

On my recent vacation to Ft. Lauderdale, I couldn't resist checking out some of the RPG shops to see how they compared to the greedy fiends in Toronto.

To my horror, they were even worse! They were attempting to sell a 6th printing PHB for $100, and a priest cover DMG for $60! I think I'll stick with eBay, even with the shipping fiascos that arise from time to time. :wink:

Deimos, it must be those battered Floridians trying to pay for fixing up their hurricaine destroyed shops  :)  Come to Texas my friend, the local Half Price Books stores around here have shelves of 1st edition books conventiently priced at $6-$12 each (every once in awhile a near mint looking copy of a DMG or PHB may get a $20 price tag, but that's the exception).  I got a 1st edition Unearthed Arcana and Manual of the Planes in NM shape (except for the Toys R Us stickers on the covers, which actually adds the the nostalgia value) for $7.50 each...I didn't even need them to sell or for my own collection, they just looked so damned awesome....
   I'd recommend checking out used bookstores along with gamestores selling used items. The bookstores seem to not be as familiar with what they have and may price the items more reasonably. I found my D&D white box set in a used bookstore in Arkansas for $50, it was the only D&D item in their store and they had no idea what to ask for it, I got a good deal....

Mike B.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:42 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:At least with a local RPG shop you can see what you're buying. You don't have to rely on some lying b*stard.

its funny you should mention that....i got a small parcel off that tonya girl person today (some things i got AGES ago)...

i tell you something...if that stuff is in EXTRA FINE condition.....i am god. and er no i am not before anyone even TRIES to make a sarcastic comment :D

it pisses me off really. i try and be as specific as i can when i list something and more often than not, get penalised cos of that. at least i CAN sit there and justify my position cos i bring things up i think you need to know, but others just rake it in and get loads of $ by going OTT on item grading or just pure vagueness of an items flaws.

kinda one of them catch-22 situations isnt it?

:)

Al

OK, I just auctioned some items awhile back.  Someone had auctioned the same line of items a few weeks before, and they had gotten quite a bit more than I did.  I noticed every one of their items was rated as "Near Mint, almost new" in the description, while my items were graded with a little heavier hand.  Now, of course it's possible all these actually were Near Mint, but the pics weren't good and I think people are much more liberal with a Near Mint rating than I am (and this seller has a tendency to rank everything they have as "near mint").  It's tempting to upgrade condition but in the long run it's better to have buyers pleasantly surprised than pissed...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:45 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:it pisses me off really. i try and be as specific as i can when i list something and more often than not, get penalised cos of that. at least i CAN sit there and justify my position cos i bring things up i think you need to know, but others just rake it in and get loads of $ by going OTT on item grading or just pure vagueness of an items flaws.

I've always found a concise and hones description and a high resolution picture do the trick nicely. eBay's little tiny photos don't inspire confidence.

killjoy32 wrote:oh yeah and talking of local RPG shops.

Have you looted that RPG shop in Glasgow yet? They have boxes of reasonably cheap stock, and a whole back catalogue of WDs and Imagines at very reasonable prices (compared to eBay).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:oh yeah and talking of local RPG shops.

Have you looted that RPG shop in Glasgow yet? They have boxes of reasonably cheap stock, and a whole back catalogue of WDs and Imagines at very reasonable prices (compared to eBay).

hey ian! i been meaning to mention that to you too! have been trying to persuade amanda to go up there for a trip, but once she heard the "oh while we are there, i wouldnt mind checking out a few shops" line, she told me to fook off  8O  8O  8O

anyway :) if you wanna give us a PM so i can give you a call, then you can give me directions on how to find em!

cheers

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:55 am 

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 3&rd=1

Judging by the title, this is the little known Austrailian version...  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:09 am 

deimos3428 wrote:cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 3&rd=1

Judging by the title, this is the little known Austrailian version... :lol:
:wink:  :lol:

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:40 am 

:lol:  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:50 am 

deimos3428 wrote:cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 3&rd=1

Judging by the title, this is the little known Austrailian version... :lol:

LOL very funny :)

in fact thats as funny as my girlfriend at the weekend, trying to remember that Bill Murray Film "Groundhog Day", where it suddenly became "Hogroast Day"  8O

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:43 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 07595&rd=1

guys trying to make ppl think this is the rare one....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:36 am 

Killjoy wrote:

hey ian! i been meaning to mention that to you too! have been trying to persuade amanda to go up there for a trip, but once she heard the "oh while we are there, i wouldnt mind checking out a few shops" line, she told me to fook off  8O  8O  8O    

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hay I know the feeling man, My Girlfriend and I are laughing so hard about this I can barely type the keys....... :lol: :lol: She gave me a similar FOOOOOOOOOOOOK OFF when she suggested a trip recently to her home town of Detroit and I said the Lake Geneva area isn't that far away 8O 8O , plus it would be fun I told her. 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:24 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hay I know the feeling man, My Girlfriend and I are laughing so hard about this I can barely type the keys....... :lol: :lol: She gave me a similar FOOOOOOOOOOOOK OFF when she suggested a trip recently to her home town of Detroit and I said the Lake Geneva area isn't that far away 8O 8O , plus it would be fun I told her. 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:

aha! so it aint just me then!!  :D

i need to become a hypnotist...*** repeat after me...D&D is your life....you cannot survive without it....you will hunt high and low for stuff.....money is never a question ***

;)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:36 am 

Badmike wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:On my recent vacation to Ft. Lauderdale, I couldn't resist checking out some of the RPG shops to see how they compared to the greedy fiends in Toronto.
To my horror, they were even worse! They were attempting to sell a 6th printing PHB for $100, and a priest cover DMG for $60! I think I'll stick with eBay, even with the shipping fiascos that arise from time to time. :wink:

Deimos, it must be those battered Floridians trying to pay for fixing up their hurricaine destroyed shops :)

Except Ft Laud did not have to much damage ;)

S Florida is a used book hole, I don't know how IO lives here and survives :)

Which store was it? Not Dragonslair, maybe Past Present Future?

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:11 am 

I cleaned them all out years ago when they were happy to sell cheap. :twisted:
Here's a funny one. When The Comic and Gaming Exchage closed, (now PPF) Bill the old owner sold me a good amount shrinked 1st ED AD&D modules, and told me they'ed been burried in the storeroom for 10+ years. overstock that never sold 8O

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 113123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 111112113