Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 102123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 100101102
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:10 am 
 

thing is jeff, the mail order hobby shop is a business in the end and you can profit margin all your goods BEFORE they are listed for sale, so any outlay is generally taken care of BEFORE shipping. with ebay, everything is generally cheaper than bought privately (90%+) and you also have ebay charges AND paypal charges to also contend with, which for a cheap item, generally hammers a helluva lot out of a price you are selling for. you don't have this problem with a private sale (unless you use paypal). so as an individual, you have to try and add a minimal sum to try and take care of whatever your general outlay is for the things required to send an item.

like i said, i don't mind a minimal handling fee at all, but some of them i have been charged, jeez man!

also, as a private business, you can have a flat shipping fee and charge paypal/visa charges if you wish as you are not breaching anybodys rules (ie ebay).

Al



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 189
Joined: Dec 19, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 22, 2012

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:35 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:thing is jeff, the mail order hobby shop is a business in the end and you can profit margin all your goods BEFORE they are listed for sale, so any outlay is generally taken care of BEFORE shipping. with ebay, everything is generally cheaper than bought privately (90%+) and you also have ebay charges AND paypal charges to also contend with, which for a cheap item, generally hammers a helluva lot out of a price you are selling for. you don't have this problem with a private sale (unless you use paypal). so as an individual, you have to try and add a minimal sum to try and take care of whatever your general outlay is for the things required to send an item.

like i said, i don't mind a minimal handling fee at all, but some of them i have been charged, jeez man!

also, as a private business, you can have a flat shipping fee and charge paypal/visa charges if you wish as you are not breaching anybodys rules (ie ebay).

Al



I totally understand, I was just trying to illustrate that combined/discounted shipping is always an option, and one that will net return customers.  I did say that I wouldn't expect free shipping from an ebay auction (though on some of my larger purchases I have gotten free shipping, but thats an exception to the rule).  

~jeff

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6207
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:44 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:As bad as some online retailers are regarding price/shipping, they seem to pale in comparison to local RPG shops these days.

At least with a local RPG shop you can see what you're buying. You don't have to rely on some lying b*stard.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:53 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:As bad as some online retailers are regarding price/shipping, they seem to pale in comparison to local RPG shops these days.

At least with a local RPG shop you can see what you're buying. You don't have to rely on some lying b*stard.


its funny you should mention that....i got a small parcel off that tonya girl person today (some things i got AGES ago)...

i tell you something...if that stuff is in EXTRA FINE condition.....i am god. and er no i am not before anyone even TRIES to make a sarcastic comment  :D

it pisses me off really. i try and be as specific as i can when i list something and more often than not, get penalised cos of that. at least i CAN sit there and justify my position cos i bring things up i think you need to know, but others just rake it in and get loads of $ by going OTT on item grading or just pure vagueness of an items flaws.

kinda one of them catch-22 situations isnt it?

:)

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:57 am 
 

oh yeah and talking of local RPG shops.

i went into one last week and they STILL have an incredibly beat up Q1 PINNED on the wall and they want £20 for it!!!!  8O  i was like WTF??!!

the guy in the shop had the aucacity to say to me "well man, its like really rare and stuff" (he really did sound like something out of a bill & ted film)....to which i just chuckled at him and told him he needs his head examining! :)

he THEN said "anyway dude, that stuff is like really outdated now....you wanna get into the d20 stuff man, its really cool. move into one of the more modern RPGs - thats the place to be"

well i tell you - you can ask my girlfriend, how i managed to not have a choking fit is beyond me! my manic laughter did turn everyones head in the shop tho  :oops:

what a muppet :)

ps. they also had a beat up X1 there too and that was £8.50 !  8O  8O  8O

did make the day a lot of fun tho thats for sure :)



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7946
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:37 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:My problem with Tony's Tight Ass Games or Tony's Ass Wipe Shop, or whatever they are calling themselves now, is that they predominantly sell shite, dress it up to mint and rare, and set out to rip off newbies.

Don't get me wrong. The less money the newbies have the less they'll be cropping up on the auctions I'm bidding on. But we were all newbies once, and I just don't like the way Titan Games and Joe90 (or whatever ETC call themselves) set out to screw the industry. Cougar also has a tendancy to exagerate rarity and condition.

I am amazed that whatever these people buy, and from wherever, they have a magic machine that makes it rare and in very good or excelent condition.

At the end of the day they only hurt newbies I suppose.

Maybe the best way to warn newbies is to have an info page offering advice to newbies on buying on eBay (description, rarity, condition, payment, etc.) and sticking links to various threads.

As bad as some online retailers are regarding price/shipping, they seem to pale in comparison to local RPG shops these days.

On my recent vacation to Ft. Lauderdale, I couldn't resist checking out some of the RPG shops to see how they compared to the greedy fiends in Toronto.

To my horror, they were even worse! They were attempting to sell a 6th printing PHB for $100, and a priest cover DMG for $60! I think I'll stick with eBay, even with the shipping fiascos that arise from time to time. :wink:


Deimos, it must be those battered Floridians trying to pay for fixing up their hurricaine destroyed shops  :)  Come to Texas my friend, the local Half Price Books stores around here have shelves of 1st edition books conventiently priced at $6-$12 each (every once in awhile a near mint looking copy of a DMG or PHB may get a $20 price tag, but that's the exception).  I got a 1st edition Unearthed Arcana and Manual of the Planes in NM shape (except for the Toys R Us stickers on the covers, which actually adds the the nostalgia value) for $7.50 each...I didn't even need them to sell or for my own collection, they just looked so damned awesome....
   I'd recommend checking out used bookstores along with gamestores selling used items. The bookstores seem to not be as familiar with what they have and may price the items more reasonably. I found my D&D white box set in a used bookstore in Arkansas for $50, it was the only D&D item in their store and they had no idea what to ask for it, I got a good deal....

Mike B.

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7946
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:42 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:At least with a local RPG shop you can see what you're buying. You don't have to rely on some lying b*stard.


its funny you should mention that....i got a small parcel off that tonya girl person today (some things i got AGES ago)...

i tell you something...if that stuff is in EXTRA FINE condition.....i am god. and er no i am not before anyone even TRIES to make a sarcastic comment :D

it pisses me off really. i try and be as specific as i can when i list something and more often than not, get penalised cos of that. at least i CAN sit there and justify my position cos i bring things up i think you need to know, but others just rake it in and get loads of $ by going OTT on item grading or just pure vagueness of an items flaws.

kinda one of them catch-22 situations isnt it?

:)

Al


OK, I just auctioned some items awhile back.  Someone had auctioned the same line of items a few weeks before, and they had gotten quite a bit more than I did.  I noticed every one of their items was rated as "Near Mint, almost new" in the description, while my items were graded with a little heavier hand.  Now, of course it's possible all these actually were Near Mint, but the pics weren't good and I think people are much more liberal with a Near Mint rating than I am (and this seller has a tendency to rank everything they have as "near mint").  It's tempting to upgrade condition but in the long run it's better to have buyers pleasantly surprised than pissed...

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6207
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:45 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:it pisses me off really. i try and be as specific as i can when i list something and more often than not, get penalised cos of that. at least i CAN sit there and justify my position cos i bring things up i think you need to know, but others just rake it in and get loads of $ by going OTT on item grading or just pure vagueness of an items flaws.

I've always found a concise and hones description and a high resolution picture do the trick nicely. eBay's little tiny photos don't inspire confidence.

killjoy32 wrote:oh yeah and talking of local RPG shops.

Have you looted that RPG shop in Glasgow yet? They have boxes of reasonably cheap stock, and a whole back catalogue of WDs and Imagines at very reasonable prices (compared to eBay).


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:04 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:oh yeah and talking of local RPG shops.

Have you looted that RPG shop in Glasgow yet? They have boxes of reasonably cheap stock, and a whole back catalogue of WDs and Imagines at very reasonable prices (compared to eBay).


hey ian! i been meaning to mention that to you too! have been trying to persuade amanda to go up there for a trip, but once she heard the "oh while we are there, i wouldnt mind checking out a few shops" line, she told me to fook off  8O  8O  8O

anyway :) if you wanna give us a PM so i can give you a call, then you can give me directions on how to find em!

cheers

Al



  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:55 am 
 

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 3&rd=1

Judging by the title, this is the little known Austrailian version...  :lol:

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 299
Joined: Jun 07, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 14, 2008
Location: OHIO

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:09 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 3&rd=1

Judging by the title, this is the little known Austrailian version... :lol:
:wink:  :lol:


May Eru's light shine upon you always.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6207
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:40 am 
 

:lol:  :lol:


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:50 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 3&rd=1

Judging by the title, this is the little known Austrailian version... :lol:


LOL very funny :)

in fact thats as funny as my girlfriend at the weekend, trying to remember that Bill Murray Film "Groundhog Day", where it suddenly became "Hogroast Day"  8O



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 628
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2007
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:43 pm 
 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 07595&rd=1

guys trying to make ppl think this is the rare one....

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:36 am 
 

Killjoy wrote:

hey ian! i been meaning to mention that to you too! have been trying to persuade amanda to go up there for a trip, but once she heard the "oh while we are there, i wouldnt mind checking out a few shops" line, she told me to fook off  8O  8O  8O    


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hay I know the feeling man, My Girlfriend and I are laughing so hard about this I can barely type the keys....... :lol: :lol: She gave me a similar FOOOOOOOOOOOOK OFF when she suggested a trip recently to her home town of Detroit and I said the Lake Geneva area isn't that far away 8O 8O , plus it would be fun I told her. 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:24 am 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hay I know the feeling man, My Girlfriend and I are laughing so hard about this I can barely type the keys....... :lol: :lol: She gave me a similar FOOOOOOOOOOOOK OFF when she suggested a trip recently to her home town of Detroit and I said the Lake Geneva area isn't that far away 8O 8O , plus it would be fun I told her. 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:


aha! so it aint just me then!!  :D

i need to become a hypnotist...*** repeat after me...D&D is your life....you cannot survive without it....you will hunt high and low for stuff.....money is never a question ***

;)



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:36 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:On my recent vacation to Ft. Lauderdale, I couldn't resist checking out some of the RPG shops to see how they compared to the greedy fiends in Toronto.
To my horror, they were even worse! They were attempting to sell a 6th printing PHB for $100, and a priest cover DMG for $60! I think I'll stick with eBay, even with the shipping fiascos that arise from time to time. :wink:


Deimos, it must be those battered Floridians trying to pay for fixing up their hurricaine destroyed shops :)


Except Ft Laud did not have to much damage ;)

S Florida is a used book hole, I don't know how IO lives here and survives :)

Which store was it? Not Dragonslair, maybe Past Present Future?


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:11 am 
 

I cleaned them all out years ago when they were happy to sell cheap. :twisted:
Here's a funny one. When The Comic and Gaming Exchage closed, (now PPF) Bill the old owner sold me a good amount shrinked 1st ED AD&D modules, and told me they'ed been burried in the storeroom for 10+ years. overstock that never sold 8O


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:16 am 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I cleaned them all out years ago when they were happy to sell cheap. :twisted:
Here's a funny one. When The Comic and Gaming Exchage closed, (now PPF) Bill the old owner sold me a good amount shrinked 1st ED AD&D modules, and told me they'ed been burried in the storeroom for 10+ years. overstock that never sold 8O


Bastard...I used to shop there as well.  :twisted:

Ah well, wasn't buying old D&D back then, so no loss. :)


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:19 am 
 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
Badmike wrote:
Deimos, it must be those battered Floridians trying to pay for fixing up their hurricaine destroyed shops :)


Except Ft Laud did not have to much damage ;)

S Florida is a used book hole, I don't know how IO lives here and survives :)

Which store was it? Not Dragonslair, maybe Past Present Future?

Yes, I believe it was Past Present Future near University & Commerical Blvd.  Not a bad little store (they actually had 1e stuff) but the prices were off the chart.  (I also found an AC4 in a used book store for a reasonable price, but I wasn't really interested in it.)  Bargain hunting is tough.  :wink:

 YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 102123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 100101102