Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 102123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 100101102
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 299
Joined: Jun 07, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 14, 2008
Location: OHIO

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:49 pm 
 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:


Check out this link: toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dragons/Pla ... ysets.html

Comparing the two links, I would say that the first link is the ultra rare first print version of this unique playset!!! Snipes all set boys?!?!?! :roll:  :wink:


May Eru's light shine upon you always.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:49 pm 
 

Here is one for you all:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 2&rd=1

As if the original isn't already a piece of sh*t, but it's a freaken Mexican bootleg of a piece of sh*t.  It's kind of like buying one of those fake rubber terds at the novelty store. :twisted:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:49 am 
 

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 72999&rd=1

The lot could be interesting, but the picture is like an abstract painting  :lol:

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 299
Joined: Jun 07, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 14, 2008
Location: OHIO

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:08 am 
 

rosenkav wrote:http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 72999&rd=1

The lot could be interesting, but the picture is like an abstract painting :lol:


Thanks for the link.  Ya know...the multinational Ebay sites are like a Rosetta stone.  I just learned how to say days and hours in Italian!!!


May Eru's light shine upon you always.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4745
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:48 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:Here is one for you all:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 2&rd=1

As if the original isn't already a piece of sh*t, but it's a freaken Mexican bootleg of a piece of sh*t. It's kind of like buying one of those fake rubber terds at the novelty store. :twisted:


This is what happens when toy designers trip on acid.  (Mental picture of Tommy Chong in a room full of smoke laughing to himself while putting this toy together)   :lol:

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:53 am 
 

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5&rd=1

Everything about the sellers instructions in yellow is normal until you get to the:
just remember that I am a college gal

I mean it is obvious that he uses the same format as Tonya's Games and has just made some personal modifications, but how funny is it that he missed that. :lol: Knowing that Tonya obviously checks these forums out, I wonder how long before this one gets corrected. :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6168
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:03 am 
 

I've asked the question...

Hi. Is Titan Games a reincarnation of Tony Ass Games and/or Tony Ass Wop Shop? The reason I ask is that both have a very bad reputation in the collector community and I don't want to end up trading with them if they've simply openned up in a new name to avoid their bad reputation.

<edit> I should have pointed out, this was the question I asked of Titan Games. I'm waiting for their response. :D


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:06 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've asked the question...

Hi. Is Titan Games a reincarnation of Tony Ass Games and/or Tony Ass Wop Shop? The reason I ask is that both have a very bad reputation in the collector community and I don't want to end up trading with them if they've simply openned up in a new name to avoid their bad reputation.


Holy sh*t, I just fell out of my chair.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 am 
 

ian, they are pretty much one and the same mate. they deal and operate from the same place. tonya's dad owns titan games (i think)..... i dealt with tonya a few times and it was "ok" bar for the exaggerated handling charges. a mate of mine just recently got stiffed huge by them. i told him not to pay and fight her over the handling fees, which believe me were nothing short of ludicrous.

so if you want my advice, steer well clear chummer...

Al



  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:26 am 
 

One of things that drives me crazy about tony/ass/wap/shop is that she totally contradicts herself in her own about me page. First she says trying to justify her outrageous shipping costs:
Shipping and Handling is not just "postage". It is Postage, plus labor (Allan and my packer), cost of supplies, and a bit of my overall "overhead" (you know, office lease, lights, utlities, etc.)


Then when it comes to the possibility of picking up items:
No, you cannot pick it up at my house, or my shop - I do not own a shop, I own an online company.


Unreal :evil: :evil: :evil:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6168
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:45 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Holy sh*t, I just fell out of my chair. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:58 am 
 

Here is the portion talked about, pasted here for posterity (in case it gets corrected) ;)

Policies & Payment Info:
Do not bid if you do not intend to pay. I will deliver what I guarantee - I expect buyers to pay on time, and according to my guidelines. Thanks, Titan Games

Don't Forget! Buyers of multiple items save on S&H fee's! See Shipping & Handling!

If you are not satisfied with this purchase, return it -in the same condition- for full refund of winning bid. Return Shipping is bidders responsibility. If you leave neutral or negative feedback before working out the return, this voids my satisfaction guarantee. I'm a nice person, so please be nice, too.

email your questions if you need other information, just remember that I am a college gal. I usually ship only on Wednesday, and on Friday.

If you buy multiple items: I expect to be paid for each item within 7 days of closing.

I prefer paypal as payment method, but will accept money orders or checks made out to MARK SCHUMANN


It's seem I've also stumbled upon a photo of said store owner, let's post it here:

Image


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 45
Joined: Oct 29, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 05, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've asked the question...

Hi. Is Titan Games a reincarnation of Tony Ass Games and/or Tony Ass Wop Shop? The reason I ask is that both have a very bad reputation in the collector community and I don't want to end up trading with them if they've simply openned up in a new name to avoid their bad reputation.

<edit> I should have pointed out, this was the question I asked of Titan Games. I'm waiting for their response. :D


Whoa, whoa!  Is there more than one "Titan Games"?

Titan Games, online seller out of Battle Creek, Michigan, is a very well-known and respected dealer of second-hand games.  Titan Games does have a retail store.  The owner, Marcus King, gives seminars on retailing at the GAMA Trade Show.  He's well known and scrupulously honest.  Speaking as a former retailer, Marcus runs the store we all want to be when we grow up--at least in sales volume if not in the details.

If you had a problem with THAT Titan Games, give me an e-mail at [email protected], and I'll call up Marcus immediately and help mediate a resolution.


Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:52 am 
 

LloydBrown wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I've asked the question...

Hi. Is Titan Games a reincarnation of Tony Ass Games and/or Tony Ass Wop Shop? The reason I ask is that both have a very bad reputation in the collector community and I don't want to end up trading with them if they've simply openned up in a new name to avoid their bad reputation.

<edit> I should have pointed out, this was the question I asked of Titan Games. I'm waiting for their response. :D


Whoa, whoa! Is there more than one "Titan Games"?

Titan Games, online seller out of Battle Creek, Michigan, is a very well-known and respected dealer of second-hand games. Titan Games does have a retail store. The owner, Marcus King, gives seminars on retailing at the GAMA Trade Show. He's well known and scrupulously honest. Speaking as a former retailer, Marcus runs the store we all want to be when we grow up--at least in sales volume if not in the details.

If you had a problem with THAT Titan Games, give me an e-mail at [email protected], and I'll call up Marcus immediately and help mediate a resolution.


I will say when you deal with Titan's Games or Tonya's Shop you'll get what you paid for in a timely manner.  I'll also say you'll be absolutely raped on shipping and handling charges, especially if you try and "combine' orders (they state up front they give no discounts for multiple orders....must be one of those retailer tidbits I missed out on in Economics 101 in college).  But let me stress that they let you know these fees up front,  and it's only your own fault if you get stuck bidding on 10-12 items at one time and then realize with a sinking feeling that if you win them all your shipping will be $28 media mail (A nice $20 or so profit, and yes that was me once, luckily I ended up losing all the auctions I'd bid on).   I'm on his mailing list and have been for years but only for price comparison purposes, I feel his prices on items are much too high (much higher than Ebay in most cases).  I've noticed lately they seem to have gotten more in touch with the actual marketplace, but still, those dang shipping and handling charges.......sheesh......I don't see how he'll prosper on Ebay when people realize they are overpaying for shipping.  But if true criminals like Cougar and Game Emporium work, then I suppose Titans Games will find their niche also, as at least he's honest in that everything is up front, if you deal with him don't be surprised with that whopping shipping notice.

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:03 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:ian, they are pretty much one and the same mate. they deal and operate from the same place. tonya's dad owns titan games (i think)..... i dealt with tonya a few times and it was "ok" bar for the exaggerated handling charges. a mate of mine just recently got stiffed huge by them. i told him not to pay and fight her over the handling fees, which believe me were nothing short of ludicrous.

so if you want my advice, steer well clear chummer...

Al


Tonya is the daughter of Marcus King.  Her father gives/sells her wholesale items she can resell on her own site (don't believe the BS about finding items at the Salvation Army or whatever).   Actually, it's a good tax move for him, and a nice way to put her though college without actually just handing her the money outright.  But once again, she's read the same book on internet selling her father has and realized all the money is on overpriced shipping and handling fees.  
 As an example, let's say you win 20 modules from Titans. Cost is full price for the most expensive (let's say $4.65, although many are much costlier).  Say the others are all the same price, you pay HALF the shipping on all the other items.  So, shipping on your 20 module order would be $42.65 (ballpark figure).  That's for media mail!  If you want priority mail its more, even though a flat rate priority box is only $7.70.  So, even if they did use the priority box, you are paying an additional $35 or so extra shipping (or pure profit, giving Tonya another free semester at college).  I'm all for making shipping pay for expenses such as fees, supplies, etc, but thats ridiculous.  Once again though I'll say that all this is up front, if you win multiple auctions then shame on you. Still, it boggles the mind such a large well known retailer doesn't give discounts on shipping multiple items!!!!!!

MIke B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:28 am 
 

hey i am all for someone making a "little" out of the shipping for all their efforts, especially on big orders. after all, they are also doing you a service, as the combination would be a LOT less than the full amount "if a discount" was applied. that i do not begrudge at all. i DO when you just get slapped as a whole on each item, that is just ludicrous. i will never understand that. the obvious pitch there, is the market where one person buys one item. what a way to trade!  8O

Al



  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:14 am 
 

Just to add on to the negatives in dealing with Titan/ass/swap/shop & Tony/ass/swap/shop, is that they both VERY CLEARLY overgrade their items. :roll:

Oh and I forgot, they are both college gals. :lol:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6168
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:43 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Just to add on to the negatives in dealing with Titan/ass/swap/shop & Tony/ass/swap/shop, is that they both VERY CLEARLY overgrade their items. :roll:

Oh and I forgot, they are both college gals. :lol:

My problem with Tony's Tight Ass Games or Tony's Ass Wipe Shop, or whatever they are calling themselves now, is that they predominantly sell shite, dress it up to mint and rare, and set out to rip off newbies.

Don't get me wrong. The less money the newbies have the less they'll be cropping up on the auctions I'm bidding on. But we were all newbies once, and I just don't like the way Titan Games and Joe90 (or whatever ETC call themselves) set out to screw the industry. Cougar also has a tendancy to exagerate rarity and condition.

I am amazed that whatever these people buy, and from wherever, they have a magic machine that makes it rare and in very good or excelent condition.

At the end of the day they only hurt newbies I suppose.

Maybe the best way to warn newbies is to have an info page offering advice to newbies on buying on eBay (description, rarity, condition, payment, etc.) and sticking links to various threads.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 189
Joined: Dec 19, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 22, 2012

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:47 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:hey i am all for someone making a "little" out of the shipping for all their efforts, especially on big orders. after all, they are also doing you a service, as the combination would be a LOT less than the full amount "if a discount" was applied. that i do not begrudge at all. i DO when you just get slapped as a whole on each item, that is just ludicrous. i will never understand that. the obvious pitch there, is the market where one person buys one item. what a way to trade! 8O

Al


I recall when I used to order from the Mail Order Hobby Shop years ago, when I placed a huge order they would actually give shipping FOR FREE.  Not that I am suggesting that anyone do this for an EBay auction, however, discounting shiping on orders that you have already met your profit margin on is just sound business, it helps net return customers.

~jeff

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:06 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Just to add on to the negatives in dealing with Titan/ass/swap/shop & Tony/ass/swap/shop, is that they both VERY CLEARLY overgrade their items. :roll:

Oh and I forgot, they are both college gals. :lol:

My problem with Tony's Tight Ass Games or Tony's Ass Wipe Shop, or whatever they are calling themselves now, is that they predominantly sell shite, dress it up to mint and rare, and set out to rip off newbies.

Don't get me wrong. The less money the newbies have the less they'll be cropping up on the auctions I'm bidding on. But we were all newbies once, and I just don't like the way Titan Games and Joe90 (or whatever ETC call themselves) set out to screw the industry. Cougar also has a tendancy to exagerate rarity and condition.

I am amazed that whatever these people buy, and from wherever, they have a magic machine that makes it rare and in very good or excelent condition.

At the end of the day they only hurt newbies I suppose.

Maybe the best way to warn newbies is to have an info page offering advice to newbies on buying on eBay (description, rarity, condition, payment, etc.) and sticking links to various threads.

As bad as some online retailers are regarding price/shipping, they seem to pale in comparison to local RPG shops these days.

On my recent vacation to Ft. Lauderdale, I couldn't resist checking out some of the RPG shops to see how they compared to the greedy fiends in Toronto.

To my horror, they were even worse!  They were attempting to sell a 6th printing PHB for $100, and a priest cover DMG for $60!  I think I'll stick with eBay, even with the shipping fiascos that arise from time to time.  :wink:

 YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 102123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 100101102