Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 112 of 113123 ... 109, 110, 111, 112113
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:16 pm 

Look! Mr. Cougar took some pictures of specks of dust!

What a picture. NOT.

:roll:

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:43 am 

Heeeee'sss . . . BACK!  Cougarrinard, that is! 8O

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:00 am 

I know this is the "laughable item descriptions" thread but since we don't have a "pathetic or tragic item descriptions" thread I will just post this here.

I don't know much about Troll & Toad other than what has been said within this forum and I have never bought or bid on any of their items because their bins are more expensive than just about any other seller on Ebay.  I know this has been said before several times but why the hell does a seller that has been around the gaming industry as long as T&T put such ridiculously pathetic item descriptions on their auctions?  It is bad enough that they use stock photos on rare, out-of-print items but then to not even accurately describe what flaws there are with the item is just weak, lazy, and unprofessional.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This is the item description:

Condition: Good Condition Board Game
A very played board game. Box may have water damage, mustiness, may have lots of tears or rips, some of the box may be missing (like a side flap). All components necessary to play are included. Some components may have been replaced with copies (but only if it doesn't harm your ability to play it properly). For example, if it's a deck of cards where the backs are supposed to not be marked, we wouldn't replace one of those. Instructions might be a printout. This is for play.

Are they serious?!?  If I buy this item it MAY HAVE water damage?  It MAY HAVE rips or tears?  And it MAY BE a photocopy?  So basically there is no guarantee whatsoever if I buy this item?  I might get a beat up, photocopied, cat piss smelling piece of trash in a shoebox that has been painted brown with the word TRACTICS in magic marker on the top?  My 6 year old nephew could do better.  :evil:

It amazes me how someone like T&T has stayed in business for as long as they have if they have the same lack of regard for their buyers in-store that they do on Ebay.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 am 

lol!!! "very used board game"

thats the funniest thing i have heard all week :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:14 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Are they serious?!?  If I buy this item it MAY HAVE water damage?  It MAY HAVE rips or tears?  And it MAY BE a photocopy?  So basically there is no guarantee whatsoever if I buy this item?

I decided a long time ago that I "may or may not" ever make a purchase from them.  :)

It's laziness, I would guess — no different than CougTard calling every single item "VGC." It allows T&T to re-use the same listing template over and over and get more stuff listed more quickly.

Also, as you probably recall, this is the same group that's been called out here for image theft and for shilling ... they've tried to explain away one too many coincidences, IMO.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:59 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I might get a beat up, photocopied, cat piss smelling piece of trash in a shoebox that has been painted brown with the word TRACTICS in magic marker on the top?  My 6 year old nephew could do better.  :evil:

See, that's the great thing about illegal PDFs vs. illegal photocopies.  No cat piss.  No marker.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:37 pm 

I wonder if this is the same description they use to sell things like Fazzlewood or either $10,000 magic cards.  The Fazzlewood may or may not be a photocopy but pay us $2500 to find out.  Their shipping calculator seems to be a bit broken too - its only showing a cost of $4 for parcel post to Canada instead of their usual $40+.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:27 pm 

T&T has a convenient way of padding their not so spectacular feedback by selling thousands of CCG cards, often for well under a dollar.  The lack of any real description/photographs on their items is insulting.  I believe the proprietors have just about master the 'Wal-Mart' way online, though.  Sell so much that your armies of happy customers simply drown out the cries of the offended.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:53 pm 

Alright, I know that I am certainly prone to spelling errors from time to time, but this is utterly ridiculous:

I really think there needs to be some sort of test you have to take before you sell stuff on Ebay.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Alright, I know that I am certainly prone to spelling errors from time to time, but this is utterly ridiculous:

I really think there needs to be some sort of test you have to take before you sell stuff on Ebay.

And it comes from that very special Star War Universe: China.  Well worth the extra for the subtitle   :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:22 pm 

Foul on vacation? This is at 101 pages. He is usually johnny-on-the-spot. Hope all is well.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:34 pm 

101 pages. wow.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:34 am 

I am just laughing, because this was posted in Toys and Hobbies --- Games --- Role Playing.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:11 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I am just laughing, because this was posted in Toys and Hobbies --- Games --- Role Playing.

Must be a component for a charm spell.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:18 pm 

I couldn't decide which thread to put the following in but I finally concluded it was more annoying than shady.  Note this seller:

cgi.ebay.com/Dungeon-and-Dragons-M2-Ven ... dZViewItem

This person has a number of 1st edition items for auction and most of them are described as Mint complete condition but with the used tag.  In addition many of the titles say Mint.  I asked the seller if the items were shrink wrapped and the response was "not in wrap but in wonderful shape".

From the photos provided you can't really determine condition but my best guess is the word Mint should not be in the title or description.  I could be wrong.  Look at the Throne of Bloodstone:

cgi.ebay.com/Dungeon-and-Dragons-H4-The ... dZViewItem

Even with the crappy photo this thing doesn't even look close to Mint.  To me the whole credibility of the seller is in question and I just won't bid on it.  Plus the standard shipping of $7.60 is a wee bit high.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:23 pm 

It looked to me like that seller used a stock photo. I don't have the URLs handy, but their photo of the crummy H4 looked almost exactly like another one that is being sold.

Perhaps their copy IS mint, and they just lifted the image? At any rate, I bid on it, since I've been looking for H4 for awhile. I think I'll just let that one go and look again at GenCon.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 pm 

Greyhound

Greyhawk

Same thing :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:10 am 

$10,000

I asked him if he would accept a personal check.   :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 112 of 113123 ... 109, 110, 111, 112113