Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 108 of 113123 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 111112113
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:24 am 

FormCritic wrote:I just don't understand why people feel justified in being rude to him.

That's been asked and answered ... and I'll use the same three-word response: read his posts.

See this thrilling exhange here

He's a troll, Mark. He's here specifically to disagree with anything said here and/or to bait us into argument. For example, he knows that shady sellers do not go over well here; thus, of course, he defends every shady listing posted here, even those from Cougar, a known thief and liar. That's what trolls do. Do you honestly not see this?

But, you know what? F**k it. Seriously. I'm going to steal a line from BC and state that this is the last thing I'll ever say on the subject. You read all his posts from now on, Mark, and rush to his defense if you feel like it; he's dead to me. I have no time for trolls.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:18 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:
I see in the "fix" that he mentions the fact that you are entitled "to there opi-onions".

He must be using the Cougar/LittlePrincessFreya spellchecker!   :P

:D  :lol: WHAT Cougar/LPF spellchecker--there WAS one???

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:11 am 

sleepyCO wrote:
:D  :lol: WHAT Cougar/LPF spellchecker--there WAS one???

I had pictured Coug as being one of those users that whenever a word is shown as being misspelled hits "add to dictionary" instead of selecting the proper spelling.  :D

That of course does nothing to explain the horrible construction of his sentences.  :wink:

Oh...who am I trying to kid...his spelling is just the work of a careless a**hole who could not care less if his eBay listings are even close to accurate (or legible)   :twisted:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:25 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

"guilty" of trying to fleece others is not an accurate quote of Sea-to-Sky-games.  It's not a quote at all.

Sea-to-sky-games specifically said:

So yes, sellers will take advantage of ignorant buyers.. just as buyers will take full advantage of ignorant sellers.. but that's human nature, and of which everyone here is "guilty" to some degree or another.

His specific point seems to me to be that self-interest is basic human nature.  I don't see how you can argue against that.  

Sea-to-sky-games has not suggested that the seller is totally innocent.  He has only suggested that there are mitigating circustances that should be included in a judgement.

No one has to agree with anything Sea-to-sky-games says.  I just don't understand why people feel justified in being rude to him.

Mark   8)

I agree with Mark. Differing opinions shouldn't be excuses to insult the person...unless it's Cougie of course.  :twisted:
  But seriously, there was a good article in Wall Street Journal awhile back about lack of civility in modern discourse....Peggy Noonan specifically referred to two recent events, Ann Coulter using a gay slur to refer to presidential candidate John Edwards, and liberal pundit Bill Maher saying the world would be a better place if vice-president Cheney were dead.  Both statements were over the top, but the point is that is the norm now. Where once we might disagree, our first move is to insult and belittle. I'm not immune to this behavior myself but I've attempted to tone it down, and lately unless the poster is an out and out criminal (JonB, Cougie, Creep) I think I"ve been successful.  When my first instinct is to insult, instead I've been trying to just ignore.  When you ignore, it's amazing how some of the blowhards and idiots just disappear.  Most thive on the attention, something we learn about bullies and class clowns when we are in first grade but forget along the way....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:01 pm 

Badmike wrote:I agree with Mark. Differing opinions shouldn't be excuses to insult the person...unless it's Cougie of course.  :twisted:

Why, you stupid, ignorant git!   :wink:   :wink:   :wink:

When my first instinct is to insult, instead I've been trying to just ignore.  When you ignore, it's amazing how some of the blowhards and idiots just disappear.  Most thive on the attention, something we learn about bullies and class clowns when we are in first grade but forget along the way....

Two problems:

(1) Some do not disappear and continue to irritate.  Even if they do so unintentionally, other people jump on them.  Past behaviors and memories and all that.

(2) I do not have an emotional, financial, or social investment in the Acaeum.  Others do.  Without them, the Acaeum is a smaller version of DragonsFoot.

Me, I just say the Serenity Prayer and move on.

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:09 pm 

Hi All,

it wouldnt be so bad, but Tarrek used to work for WOTC/TSR in the UK so could have got a fair chunk of it as freebies.

He's a nice guy in person, but his ebay habits appear to have got somewhat unreasonable.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:42 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

"guilty" of trying to fleece others is not an accurate quote of Sea-to-Sky-games.  It's not a quote at all.

Sea-to-sky-games specifically said:

So yes, sellers will take advantage of ignorant buyers.. just as buyers will take full advantage of ignorant sellers.. but that's human nature, and of which everyone here is "guilty" to some degree or another.

His specific point seems to me to be that self-interest is basic human nature.  I don't see how you can argue against that.  

Sea-to-sky-games has not suggested that the seller is totally innocent.  He has only suggested that there are mitigating circustances that should be included in a judgement.

No one has to agree with anything Sea-to-sky-games says.  I just don't understand why people feel justified in being rude to him.

Mark   8)

Mark, with all due respect, I wasn't quoting STS. I was putting into my own words what I thought his point was. So given that I might have totally misinterpreted what STS was saying, I've again looked at what he wrote, and looked at what you wrote and I still don't think I'm wrong.

Self-interest isn't the same as "taking advantage" of someone - which is what STS seems to be defending. His justification seems to be that everyone does it so it's ok. First, no, not everyone does it (that's the insulting part) and second, it stinks of moral relativism.

It might be in my best-interest to break into someones house and take their stuff but I don't. Because I try not to act like an asshat. Similarly, if I sell something on eBay, I don't try to hide information that might reduce its value by putting it in a font size so small you have to be wearing an electron microscope on your face to read it. Again, because I try not to act like an asshat.

As I stated before, I've given STS the benefit of the doubt up till now - but come on. How can you defend him on this?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:51 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I don't think any seller of any product goes out of his or her way to stress, emphasize, or call undue attention to characteristics of an item that some may find unattractive. Case and point, virtually 100% of the items you purchase have "fine print". Nor do they seek to perfectly educate the buyer about every item they are about to purchase.

With that in mind I don't think it's reasonable to hold this seller to some higher standard. The seller correctly notes the missing elements, and frankly you'd have to be pretty stupid, ignorant, or both not to notice it [apparently everyone on this forum was aware of it under their own power]. After all, he's got in big capital letters things that are there.. and anyone who is remotely interested in these things will be sure to want to see L3 listed.. so the absence is pretty glaring.

you know what, i have only just read this, as i had to go back and figure out what it was all about.

STS dude, in this instance, you are totally wrong.

i sell mostly and sometimes buy.

if i am selling something and its missing or damaged or whatever it is that the saller needs to know, i state it quite clearly for all to see. i wont sell something if i am not up front about anything they need to know about. i know quite a few others who are of a similar mind. i would rather have a good sale than a dodgy one. i have morals and standards and most good folk off here do too.

i have kept quite quiet and neutral in most exchanges you have had with peeps on here but what you have done there quite clearly, is show what your standards are.

pretty poor stuff.

i have read your post quite clearly and before ANYONE quotes me differently, i have looked at it from all angles and thats how it is.

simple as.

nothing more to say on the subject.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:14 am 

evl wrote:As I stated before, I've given STS the benefit of the doubt up till now - but come on. How can you defend him on this?

I haven't been defending STS so much as defending civility.

Anyway...it seems to piss people off so I will stop now.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:16 am 

FormCritic wrote:
I haven't been defending STS so much as defending civility.

Anyway...it seems to piss people off so I will stop now.

Mark   8)

yeah Mark - civility is waaaaay overrated.

(FWIW - your words and Badmikes ring quite true - I have decided , in future, to hold my peace rather than be personally insulting (not just here!) This doesn't mean that I shan't say when I think someone's attitude or actions suck, just that I will try and do this in a reasonable and succinct manner)(It seems that in todays society we have kind of lost the way as regards reasonable behaviour, we think that we can say or do anything we like and the consequences be damned - perhaps just being nice is the way ahead)

(But if it doesnt pay dividends within a couple days I'll go back to being a miserable,mean,small-minded,evil bastard)
:twisted:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:51 am 

gyg wrote:
(It seems that in todays society we have kind of lost the way as regards reasonable behaviour, we think that we can say or do anything we like and the consequences be damned - perhaps just being nice is the way ahead)

That seems to be kinda ironic, in my view. You seem to be saying that civility means putting up with anyone saying anything that they want - no matter how offensive - and offering them a warm smile in return.

Civility to me means not saying things that will offend others if your only motivation is to playing devil's advocate - which is what I suspect STS is doing.

If I misread what you were saying, I apologize.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:02 am 

I will still say when I feel that someone is out of line (shady, whatever) - it is more the manner of saying it that is in question - we are educated decent human beings; we do not need to stoop to using insults and mean spirited comments to put our point across.

As an example - I could say that Cougarrinard is a proven thief who can not be trusted in any way - I do not need to say that he is a scumbag with a Walter Mitty complex and bad personal hygiene. (Just an example at random BTW :D  :D )

No need to apologise evl - just be nice!!!!

Last edited by gyg on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:02 am 

double post - sorry

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:57 am 

I just love it when someone uses phrases like "very rare", "most sought after", "greatest module series", and "most expensive" to describe something that isnt any of those things.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Now if the box was in perfect condition and the shrink was still on it it might be worth a bid... :roll:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:28 am 

gyg wrote:
It seems that in todays society we have kind of lost the way as regards reasonable behaviour, we think that we can say or do anything we like and the consequences be damned - perhaps just being nice is the way ahead...

Absolutely!!   Certainly living in a large city, can make one feel that being publicly civil and polite is akin to being part of a small secretive cult.  Be that as it may, it is still a cult with damn good company.  Plus, being civil works and it makes you feel good too.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:36 am 

I especially like how he says all the books are worth $50.00 each and we're getting a good deal!!

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:33 am 

SH60B wrote:I especially like how he says all the books are worth $50.00 each and we're getting a good deal!!

In the description he says "Books (The only difference between 3.0 and 3.5 is that one skill is called something different.)"

Right there you can establish the seller as an idiot (pardon my french) and flip to the next item generated on the search list.

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:07 pm 

Heh item has been removed. Guess he found out how silly his auction was. See this thread does have a positive impact on the world.  :lol:

In search of the unknown...

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 108 of 113123 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 111112113