Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 98 of 113123 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 111112113
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:54 pm 

I loved the Thomas Covenant books.  In fact, just to really let you know how old I am, I read them as they were released, when I was studying engineering in the 70s and early 80s.  I WAS that female nerd, as there were not many female engineering students at UF then - about 1 in 50!  My roommate and I couldn't wait for "White Gold Wielder".  Now my daughter was mad for the Robert Jordan books when she was in middle school, and so I thought she would like Thomas Covenant.  Boy did she ever turn her nose up at them!  But now I will definitely seek the new Covenant book out.  Thanks for letting me know it is out there!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:12 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I thought punishment was reserved for anyone who reads the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan.  I stopped reading them after book 5.  I figure I will wait until he finally finishes the last book and then I will start over again.  I may skip book 4 as well...possibly the most snore-inducing book I have ever read.  :|

The books are one thing.  Try playing the video game.  Great idea; horrible implementation.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:23 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:The books are one thing.  Try playing the video game.  Great idea; horrible implementation.

Now that you mention it, I do own the PC game.  The combat system based on using the angreals was very cool....until you started trying to switch between them while fighting.  For the most part I thought the game was a lot of fun but it was very buggy and I could never finish the game due to all the bugs.  Using balefire was always fun.  :twisted:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:23 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:I loved the Thomas Covenant books.  In fact, just to really let you know how old I am, I read them as they were released, when I was studying engineering in the 70s and early 80s.  I WAS that female nerd, as there were not many female engineering students at UF then - about 1 in 50!  My roommate and I couldn't wait for "White Gold Wielder".  Now my daughter was mad for the Robert Jordan books when she was in middle school, and so I thought she would like Thomas Covenant.  Boy did she ever turn her nose up at them!  But now I will definitely seek the new Covenant book out.  Thanks for letting me know it is out there!

L.J. - just curious, there must have been some D&D going on in an engineering dept in the late 70s? Did you ever get a chance to play?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 pm 

I had some friends that were avid players.  They got together in this big house about 5 blocks from campus, where I lived briefly while between dwellings (the house I had been living in had been condemned!) It was conveniently located next to the Krispy Kreme and many late night trips were made to fortify the players.  I never played with them, though.  I was under the delusion that when you played you kind of "leveled up" the way my kids do on Final Fantasy games now, and I thought that you carried that higher level with you forever.  So I thought I could never catch up.  Shoulda asked, huh?  But it did give me a fondness for the games, as I had a fondness for those participants.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:26 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Still sealed. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:47 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:

You're taking shots at the best fantasy novels of all time!  I can not wait for the next Covenant book!   :!:

I also liked the books. Not my favorites by any stretch but good reading back in the day. I just pulled all my old paperbacks out of storage and thought about dumping them on ebay. I know they aren't worth anything, but at least I can get them out of the house.

So if anyone wants the entire Covenant series, PM me.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:47 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I thought punishment was reserved for anyone who reads the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan.  I stopped reading them after book 5.  I figure I will wait until he finally finishes the last book and then I will start over again.  I may skip book 4 as well...possibly the most snore-inducing book I have ever read.  :|

Amen to that comment. I quit reading them as well and will wait until/if ever the series finishes before reading them.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:15 am 

pleveich wrote:
Amen to that comment. I quit reading them as well and will wait until/if ever the series finishes before reading them.

John

Wouldn't that be a bitch if Robert Jordan kicked the bucket before he finished number thirteen?  He does have a rare blood disease that he is being treated for if I am not mistaken.  Man, think of all the rabid fans committing suicide because they will never get to find out what happens to everyone in the books.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:32 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

Still sealed. :D

Seller emailed me back, and has posted pics. The shrinkwrapped MM is 5th print probably, and extra is 3rd.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:04 pm 

AD&D 2nd Edition - The Complete Set!!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:19 pm 

D Morgan Prints | eBay

Sorry but this is definitely in "Crapola" condition.  And the way the auction description is worded I am assuming that the books and ref sheets aren't included.  :?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:17 am 

...and I love the idea that it "and also requires the Outdoor Survival war game (by Avalon Hill) to play."

WTF?!?  8O

Cheers!
Nick

"Anyone who's against us we'll crush. In fact anyone who isn't for us we'll crush!" - attrib. Tex Colson (Nixon Campaign Aide)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:...and I love the idea that it "and also requires the Outdoor Survival war game (by Avalon Hill) to play."

WTF?!?  8O

Well, that's actually suggested in the book, but "requires" is a little bit strong.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:17 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Sorry but this is definitely in "Crapola" condition.  And the way the auction description is worded I am assuming that the books and ref sheets aren't included.  :?

Looks like it's got leprosy!

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:50 pm 

Hmm, look at the Qustion and Answer portion of this auction.  "Do these books say 1st or 2nd print on them?". Nothing like being uneducated when it comes to these things and then totally grasping at straws. :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:11 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Looks like it's got leprosy!

Yep...and it looks like the seller made a change to his description.  It now states that the books are definitely not included.

Someone will probably disagree with me on this but IMHO that box belongs in the trash...not on Ebay.  It's not a woodgrain for chrissakes.  :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:13 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Yep...and it looks like the seller made a change to his description.  It now states that the books are definitely not included.

Someone will probably disagree with me on this but IMHO that box belongs in the trash...not on Ebay.  It's not a woodgrain for chrissakes.  :?

You all obviously don't remember who that is do you?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 98 of 113123 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 111112113