Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 113123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 111112113
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:47 pm 

He didn't say that to me, Al. I am interpreting.
BTW, your present is on the way!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:17 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
It doesn't sound like copyright infringement since no copies were made.

However it is sleazy and might be illegal for other reasons (ie theft).

As the copy was apparently sent to him for review, it would be copyright infringement to distribute the work without permission.  Not all infringements of copyright involve actual copying.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:00 am 

deimos3428 wrote:As the copy was apparently sent to him for review, it would be copyright infringement to distribute the work without permission.  Not all infringements of copyright involve actual copying.

Are you sure about that?  I'm not a lawyer, but that doesn't sound right.

Assuming there's no contract between the author/publisher and the reviewer that restricts how and/or when the book can be disposed of, I can't think of which law would actually have been violated.

US copyright law seems pretty clear...

U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Chapter 1
Title 17 of the United States Code, Chapter 1
§ 109. Limitations on exclusive rights: Effect of transfer of particular copy or phonorecord40

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106(3), the owner of a particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this title, or any person authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the authority of the copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the possession of that copy or phonorecord.

I've spent some time skimming the Canadian Copyright Act ( Copyright Act ) and I see nothing it it that allows a copyright holder to restrict how a particular copy is used by its owner.

The following sources probably shouldn't be given much creedence, but that seem to support my interpretation of laws as referenced above...

Buy and Sell New and Used College Textbooks
Review copies of books (also called "promotional" or "complimentary" copies) are usually provided free of charge to college faculty and/or staff by publishers. These books are generally marked "Review Copy -- Not For Sale", but faculty and staff are often willing to sell them to used book wholesalers. While it is entirely legal to do so, Akademos does not condone this practice and we would urge faculty and staff to donate unwanted review copies to needy students rather than sell them to wholesalers.

MBR: Jim Cox Report, March 2003
1. Publishers can stamp or otherwise mark a book as being a review copy and "not for sale" in any manner they deem appropriate or necessary. But they cannot dictate to a reviewer how the book is to be disposed of by the reviewer.

2. Review copies sent to a reviewer or a review organization or a review publication become their property to dispose of as they deem fit. Specifically, whether or not the book made the cut to and got either a positive or a negative review, or failed to make the cut and therefore failed to achieve a review good, bad, or mediocre -- the reviewer has the legal, moral, and ethical right to keep the book, donate the book, discard the book into the nearest landfill, or sell the book in what ever venue (commercial or non-commercial) they have access to.

404 Not Found
Thus, a potential reviewer is under no obligation to actually REVIEW the book that has been sent. A reviewer is under no obligation to keep the book, to return it to the publisher or author, or do anything else with it. If the reviewer wishes to give it away, dispose of it, trash it, donate it to the library, or sell it (e.g., to a used bookstore or online, such as through Amazon or Half.com), that is the reviewer's privilege. The book is the reviewer's property. The fact that it was a review copy or Advance Review Copy (ARC) makes no difference with respect to the reviewer's legal ownership of the book once it is in his or her hands. The reviewer owns the book just as if he or she had purchased it (or had received it as a gift from a friend), and can dispose of it the same way anyone can dispose of any "used" book that they own.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:37 am 

And on a lighter note, check out the Umber Hulk Bubble Blower.   What do umber hulks have to do with bubbles?!?!?!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:59 am 

Don't miss your chance at it again:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The biggest lot on Ebay EVER!!!  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:32 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:He didn't say that to me, Al. I am interpreting.
BTW, your present is on the way!

frank!!

wahay top man!

bar for a box of stuff i got the other day - havent had anything in oooh about a week. trying to stop spending so will be nice :)

cool :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:34 am 

bclarkie wrote:Don't miss your chance at it again:

The biggest lot on Ebay EVER!!!  :roll:

i got fed up reading the auction after about the third line.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:11 pm 

OK, guys, I should explain my bid on the riddle.
When I win it for a penny, I will pay with Paypal using a credit card. So, not only will the seller get eBay fees, AND listing fees, he will also get Paypal fees. Total profit will probably be -$1.00.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:43 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:OK, guys, I should explain my bid on the riddle.
When I win it for a penny, I will pay with Paypal using a credit card. So, not only will the seller get eBay fees, AND listing fees, he will also get Paypal fees. Total profit will probably be -$1.00.

seems a really daft thing to ebay if you ask me. i guess he is just asking for it really

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:05 pm 

Fair warning to all of you: Once I win this, the copyright is MINE! DO NOT attempt to sell it on eBay. I will thoroughly prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone who tries. Although I imagine damages would be limited to a penny, it's the principle of it.

So, how big of a muttonhead can someone be? Selling a riddle? What's next, bottled farts?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:16 pm 

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:26 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:

lol :) now THAT is really funny.

we've also got some more suggestions for anyone who fancies trying this avenue on ebay:

used dental floss, a dump on a plate, belly button fluff, toe nail clippings, nasal hair, grow your own person kit for all you lonely people, a unique piece of hair - well ths list is endless, but i think that gives you some good options :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:35 pm 

Here's a link to a news article listing the ten weirdest things ever sold on ebay: http://collage.twws.ws/Money_Matters/Th ... -Ever.html

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:55 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Here's a link to a news article listing the ten weirdest things ever sold on ebay: http://collage.twws.ws/Money_Matters/Th ... -Ever.html

John Freyer from the US sold all of his earthly possessions; see All My Life For Sale .

I bought some items from him.  Coincidentally but not suprisingly, I have owned them longer any relationship that I have had.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:09 am 

NetRodent wrote:And on a lighter note, check out the Umber Hulk Bubble Blower.   What do umber hulks have to do with bubbles?!?!?!

[ Image ]

Wow, to think they made crap like that at one point, just goes to show what a cultural icon D&D was at one point. I wish I was active in the game during those times, to have so many players and so little a stigmatism to even the idea of a RPG.

In search of the unknown...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:57 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:

Oh...my....God.........

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:11 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:

Oh...my....God.........

..and i tell you, if someone actually seriously bids on that, we are in the wrong business :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 am 

They don't care about Umber Hulks.  Some Hong Kong toy maker just sold anything he could cash in on.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 113123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 111112113