Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 9 of 113123 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 111112113
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:59 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 65489&rd=1

8O  8O  8O  8O

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:30 pm 

Reply for Deities for $1,000:

Hey I just got back from vacation. This is good you want to buy this, I have been getting flak for the price being too high. I'm not sure what the other people have cause they keep saying "Cthulu" copy, when in fact the rarity of this book is in the Melnibonean mythos (that was the first to be taken out, Cthulu was later). I have been telling people that the more we can get for this old AD&D stuff the more the value will rise. I think old school nerd stuff should be as valuable as sports cards.

Selling this is going to be painfull to be as I have been lugging all this old AD&D stuff around since Jr High (c. 1980). But I have been a student for 10 years now, currently working on my PhD in Biochemistry at UCSD and my wife is in med school and it is a shame but money is needed more than collectibles right now. I also have many many other original AD&D materials including all the other books (only two of my other books are first print though), original adventures from TSR, the world of Greyhawk and a ton of other misc non TSR stuff and adventures.

Scot

Ps this is the first time I've done anything on e-bay so I have to figure out shipping and pay stuff

Now see, this is why I disagree with college. They can teach you to dissect an atom, but common sense is out the window.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:30 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Now see, this is why I disagree with college. They can teach you to dissect an atom, but common sense is out the window.

I just got a letter from this guy, too — very calm, very reasonable, very polite. However, he's just not getting it:

1. I think that he thinks he's going to be paid the $1,000 for the original listing. He's not putting 2+2 together to see that the "buyer" has already left him negative feedback.

2. He thinks he's got a super-rare item, instead of a very-cool-but-not-that-hard-to-find item.

3. He refuses to do even a tiny bit of research or to understand that most collectible items have a pricing pattern that is predictable and recognizable.

It's not college that made him this way (although that was a funny line :lol:) — this sort of cluelessness is a combination of genetics and careful nurturing.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:41 pm 

Hey, that is my neck of the woods.   You have to understand, they burn those books around here.  So although the book may be common worldwide, it is rather hard to find locally :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:43 pm 

WOW!! 8O
I have 11 copies of the DDG book with Chtulhu etc. What if I were to offer the guy all of them for say 5-6 grand. 8)
Heck with buyers like you guys, he could just about double his money in no time!!!! :twisted:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:51 pm 

McDuff wrote:

Hey, that is my neck of the woods.   You have to understand, they burn those books around here.  So although the book may be common worldwide, it is rather hard to find locally :roll:

I have about 12-15 of them from most of the various print runs, from the 1st print (5 copies) to the 8th print They are all in nice condition. I will even give you a huge price break; get all of em' ya want from the 2nd to 8th print runs for just 25 bucks each........  :wink:
How many should I pack up for you?  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:55 pm 

Fucknut wrote:Hey I just got back from vacation. This is good you want to buy this, I have been getting flak for the price being too high. I'm not sure what the other people have cause they keep saying "Cthulu" copy, when in fact the rarity of this book is in the Melnibonean mythos (that was the first to be taken out, Cthulu was later). I have been telling people that the more we can get for this old AD&D stuff the more the value will rise. I think old school nerd stuff should be as valuable as sports cards.

Umm, minor point here, but did Fucknut just say that his DDG is more scarce because it has the Melnibonéan Mythos in it and that mythos was taken out first???

Definitely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer.  And yet he's into biochemistry.  Be afraid people.  Be VERY afraid.   :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:18 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
McDuff wrote:

I have about 12-15 of them from most of the various print runs, from the 1st print (5 copies) to the 8th print They are all in nice condition. I will even give you a huge price break; get all of em' ya want from the 2nd to 8th print runs for just 25 bucks each........  :wink:
How many should I pack up for you?  :D

I've personally had up to 15 copies at one time....I got tired of looking at them and sold them all on Ebay when I first started selling there, since at the time they were getting $50 or more apiece.  Now I'm down to just my one personal copy, and 4 others, and I have to keep fending off my old D&D buddies who want to sell me their copies for "only" $20 or so...when I could get a handful on Ebay for that much, no thanks.

Maybe we should start a thread "how many 1st edition books you got?"  When I moved into my new house this may, I finally consolidated all my D&D hardbacks into one bookcase.  Boy, was I shocked, apparantly over the years I just kept picking up rulebooks cheap for the fun of it.  I had a ridiculous 15 copies of the Fiend Folio, 12 copies of Players' Handbook (various prints), 12 Monster Manuals, 6 DMGs, etc.  Through judicious pruning the last few months I'm down to reasonable levels (4 PH, 3 FF, 5 MM, 3 DMG, 3 UA, 2 MOP), but that was only after selling many on Ebay for a $9.99 starting bid price (and BIN was $15 on most of them).  

I've only got a couple of original Demigods available...thinking of putting them on Ebay soon, though, someone named Fucknut got $1000 for one so I'm thinking of starting at maybe $500 so opening bid, should blow out of there at that price.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:52 pm 

Badmike wrote:I've only got a couple of original Demigods available...thinking of putting them on Ebay soon, though, someone named Fucknut got $1000 for one so I'm thinking of starting at maybe $500 so opening bid, should blow out of there at that price.
Mike B.

I have at least 12 of them With Cthulhu, etc. And 4 copies of the fifth printing too. 8O
I have five Cthulhu copies on E-Bay listing right now, along with other extra hardbound first/second edition books, and I would sell them all for an average of 40-50 bucks each in a heartbeat second.  :D And not charge quadruple shipping costs either..... :roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 pm 

A guy working on his PhD who can't even speak decent English? There is something really weird here.
Whitednd should send him $10.00 and say "You must have forgotten the period in the price".

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:16 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:A guy working on his PhD who can't even speak decent English? There is something really weird here.
Whitednd should send him $10.00 and say "You must have forgotten the period in the price".

I'm laughing right now thinking about the email exchange, where WhiteDND tells him that he thought the price was $10 since he's dyslexic in a way that causes him to not understand where decimals are placed.  He can tell  Fucknut about the time he thought he was making great money at Burger Hut but he was misreading the decimals and only making $100.00 a week instead of $10,000.00 a week.  Whitey could string this guy along for laughs for weeks...

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:56 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Maybe Wonder Woman has one of these invisible pens in her invisible purse that she keeps in her invisible jet.  :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:11 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Maybe Wonder Woman has one of these invisible pens in her invisible purse that she keeps in her invisible jet.  :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 51495&rd=1

Maybe I shouldnt be too critical.  But everyone should know that drinking and typing dont mix.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:11 pm 

Just noticed this on eBay. What a bargain! It'll go with the floor plans mentioned earlier. If you could find some character sheets you could be up and playing vintage D&D for a shade under £100. lol.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... 3&rd=1

On a serious note, why did TSR pack a crayon in the box with the dice? Was this for drawing floor plans on the tabletop?

Caio.
Ian

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:21 pm 

For coloring the numbers in the dice.  Castles & Crusades emulated this in their collector's edition box set by providing a crayon with those famous low impact dice we were all familiar with in our youth.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:40 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 51495&rd=1

Maybe I shouldnt be too critical.  But everyone should know that drinking and typing dont mix.

Aaah-hahaha... This is so cool. I am now also collecting supermodels. My wife won't like it, I fear ...

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:58 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

It's Tonya's swap shop. Why did I always think it was Tony ass wap shop?

She must lurk around here, she has changed her name to Tonyas Games.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:42 am 

nah, that crayon was for coloring in the black & white pictures in the books.   :D

Traveller wrote:For coloring the numbers in the dice.  Castles & Crusades emulated this in their collector's edition box set by providing a crayon with those famous low impact dice we were all familiar with in our youth.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 9 of 113123 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 111112113