Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 66 of 113123 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 111112113
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:30 pm 

NetRodent wrote:Not really a laughable description, but just a strange unintended D&D / Star Wars crossover.  I guess the early 80's were a much less litigious era.

Skeleton Soldiers of Sith
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8797132563

I don't think anyone actually knew the word "Sith" in the early 80's.  Does anyone know when the Star Wars people may have first used the term?

As far as I know, "Sith" is a product of the 1990's, and the word never appeared in any of the original three movies.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:54 pm 

There was promotional material as far back as the original movie in 1977 (and even the Marvel comics from that era) that referred to Vader as a "Sith lord" ... of course, this had about as much impact as calling something a "wamp rat," since neither actually made an appearance in the movie. It just sounded like some interesting word-candy.

As far as which movie was the first to feature "Sith" uttered on the screen ... no idea. If I had to take a flyer, I'd say that maybe it was Return of the Jedi. Maybe.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:There was promotional material as far back as the original movie in 1977 (and even the Marvel comics from that era) that referred to Vader as a "Sith lord" ... of course, this had about as much impact as calling something a "wamp rat," since neither actually made an appearance in the movie. It just sounded like some interesting word-candy.

As far as which movie was the first to feature "Sith" uttered on the screen ... no idea. If I had to take a flyer, I'd say that maybe it was Return of the Jedi. Maybe.

Did Yoda refer to the Sith in Empire?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:46 pm 

I think that "Sith" is a procuct of the literature from outside of the movies.

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:43 am 

In the scripts for all three original movies, Vader is referred to as the/a lord of the Sith in the stage direction.  It isn't used in the dialog of the films though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:30 pm 

NetRodent wrote:In the scripts for all three original movies, Vader is referred to as the/a lord of the Sith in the stage direction.  It isn't used in the dialog of the films though.

Interesting detail.

Can they claim a copyright on unpublished material like a script referrence?

Mark  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:45 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
NetRodent wrote:In the scripts for all three original movies, Vader is referred to as the/a lord of the Sith in the stage direction.  It isn't used in the dialog of the films though.

Interesting detail.

Can they claim a copyright on unpublished material like a script referrence?

Mark  8)

They can certainly claim copyright on unpublished material.  All of the unpublished manuscripts that Rob Kuntz that were recently sold here were under copyright.  

The relevant law isn't in this case isn't copyright; it's trademark.  If the mark wasn't registered and only appeared in the stage direction of an unpublished script, Lucas would have had a hard time claiming trademark infringement.  Of course that doesn't mean he couldn't have tried.

According to the USPTO, Lucas applied for the Sith trademark in 1997.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:54 pm 

The first time Sith are mentioned by name, IIRC, is when trade federation Viceroy Gamray is speaking to the image of Sidious.

Gamray "My Lord, it's impossible to find the ship. It's out of our range."
Sidious " Not for a Sith. This is my apprentice, Darth Maul. He will find your lost ship."
Gamray " This is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them"
(other Chinese-imitation alien) "We should not have made this bargain"

I might be a bit off on the exact dialogue. Memory is not what it used to be.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:03 pm 

Lucasfilm has a well-known reputation for aggressively applying for (and then defending) trademarks and other legal things of that nature.

In fact, the process itself led to the second trilogy becoming a goldmine for fans seeking spoilers, as many aspects of trademark applications are considered public domain. So simple internet research would result in lists of names and terms that Lucasfilm was seeking to protect, which then sent the fanboys into a frenzy of speculation as they tried to guess how all of these goofy-sounding items fit into the upcoming films.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:06 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:The first time Sith are mentioned by name, IIRC, is when trade federation Viceroy Gamray is speaking to the image of Sidious.

That would be "Nute Gunray" â„¢ ... at least according to Lucasfilm. Played by the immortal Silas Carson, don't you know. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:14 pm 

Duke, have you moved?  :)

Ahh, and a REd Wings fan I see.  I chant lets Go Pens, but they missed the Playoffs. :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:18 pm 

Whoops, don't mind me — I'm desperately trying to resize that avatar before I slow the whole site down. :)

I used to live in Michigan, if that's the question. I still worship the god-like Red Wings from afar ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:19 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Whoops, don't mind me — I'm desperately trying to resize that avatar before I slow the whole site down. :)

I used to live in Michigan, if that's the question. I still worship the god-like Red Wings from afar ...

Yeah, but didn't you used to live in Reno and now it seems that you are hailing from East California. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:23 pm 

Oh, right. No, I haven't moved ... it's a play on the fact that many Californians just consider Reno to basically be "East California." (we are only 11 miles from the border, but it's still annoying).

Not that their smugness stops them from trying to move here to escape Tax-ifornia ... I've said for years that we need some sort of manned fortress blocking Interstate 80. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:58 am 

For a number of years, the "Welcome to Oregon" sign on the California/Oregon border had the words "NOW GO HOME" added onto the more official greeting by a vandal.

No one seemed in a hurry to fix the sign.  It was there for years.  I haven't been down that way in a couple of decades or so...it might still say that.  

I know a lot of Northwesterners who want the borders closed.  I know one guy who fervently hopes for driving rain or other ugly weather each time a sports event is nationally broadcast from Seattle...to discourage Easterners from moving here.  Seriously.

Mark   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:15 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I know a lot of Northwesterners who want the borders closed.  I know one guy who fervently hopes for driving rain or other ugly weather each time a sports event is nationally broadcast from Seattle...to discourage Easterners from moving here.  Seriously.

Sounds like things aren't working out in the ol' union.  Tell ya what, we'll trade ya Quebec for 'em.   :)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:34 am 

bclarkie wrote:Duke, have you moved?  :)

Ahh, and a REd Wings fan I see.  I chant lets Go Pens, but they missed the Playoffs. :(

At least they arent going to get trounced from the playoffs like the frickin' Stars.  Let's see now...dominated the entire season, down 0-2 to the Avalanche.  Move 'em back to Minnesota I say.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:55 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:For a number of years, the "Welcome to Oregon" sign on the California/Oregon border had the words "NOW GO HOME" added onto the more official greeting by a vandal.

As a Californian, I represent that remark!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 66 of 113123 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 111112113