Formerly laughable item descriptions
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 57 of 113123 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 111112113
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:24 pm 

This is why I support the idea of breeding licenses for humans.

My question to the seller:

I'm not sure I understand. You make up the character for me? All the stats and skills? Do you charge extra to play the character, or is that included in the auction price?

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:54 am 

What exactly is wrong with it?

It's just an oppurtunity for people to have characters designed for them. I fail to see how this item is laughable. I would have thought that gamers of all people would have been more open to ideas than that, guess I'd be wrong though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:04 am 

Halondiyr wrote:What exactly is wrong with it?

It's just an oppurtunity for people to have characters designed for them. I fail to see how this item is laughable. I would have thought that gamers of all people would have been more open to ideas than that, guess I'd be wrong though.

Why would anyone pay to create a character for you.  Part of the fun of the game is rolling up your character.  Above and beyond from that payiing someone "create" your character for you is attune to paying someone to tie your shoes for you.  Its not like character generation is like changing the engine on your car where only a select few people know how to do it, and by having it done for you really kind of defeats the purpose of playing the game in the first place. I mean seriously, you roll some dice a few times and pick some characteristics for your character, thats it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:10 am 

...there is a pic on his 'about me' page of the very individual who will likely be rolling up your character...  :D

eBay View About Me for heidi_c

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:10 am 

The item is meant more for NPCs rather than PCs.

Of course the half the fun is in creating your own character, but DMs don't always have the time to flesh out NPCs as fully as they might like to. I've had occaisions where a DM friend has asked me to run off a few characters for him whilst he's been busy writing the notes for a session and didn't have time to do them properly.

I'd have loved to have been able to grab some from online at the time, but no-one ever had anything I liked the sound of.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:15 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Halondiyr wrote:What exactly is wrong with it?

Why would anyone pay to create a character for you.  Part of the fun of the game is rolling up your character.  Above and beyond from that payiing someone "create" your character for you is attune to paying someone to tie your shoes for you.  Its not like character generation is like changing the engine on your car where only a select few people know how to do it, and by having it done for you really kind of defeats the purpose of playing the game in the first place. I mean seriously, you roll some dice a few times and pick some characteristics for your character, thats it.

Bclarkie beat me to it.  I have the same problem with the auction.  In my opinion it is a bit pathetic to have someone else roll up a character for my use.  As bclarkie said, it takes the fun out of doing it yourself.  Not only that it sounds just plain lazy.  With computers and machines doing the majority of our work nowadays you would think humans have plenty of time to roll up their own PC's.  :roll:

What is really funny about this auction for me is you pay the auction price plus a "small shipping cost" and you get what?  A text file emailed to you or a piece of paper.  No computer generated picture of your PC, no special tyvek folder to keep it in, and no certificate of authenticity letting you know your PC is unique.  Whoop-dee-doo.  8O

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 am 

It's all a moot point really though isn't it?

If someone wants to buy one they will; if not, they won't.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:47 am 

Did you see what else this seller is auctioning?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5674332897

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:01 am 

Good lord, you're right!

Quick, lets all rush and point at them. So the same seller does tarot readings, so what?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:27 am 

Halondiyr wrote:Good lord, you're right!

Quick, lets all rush and point at them. So the same seller does tarot readings, so what?

Ooops sorry  :oops:  guess we should welcome you to the forum heidi_c  :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:37 am 

Lordan wrote:
Halondiyr wrote:Good lord, you're right!

Ooops sorry  :oops:  guess we should welcome you to the forum heidi_c  :D

Hmmm...was thinking the same thing myself.  Frankly I dont see a problem of one person profiting from someone else's stupidity or laziness unless it is against the law.

It just kinda reminds me of an idea that a company back in the late 80's/early 90's had.  They setup an 800 number that you could call and for a small fee they would degrade you over the phone.  People actually paid money to have someone yell and scream at them and tell them how stupid they were.  Didnt last long though...apparently people figured out that you could walk down the street and if you did something retarded, a complete stranger would do it for free.  :D

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:52 am 

Nope, not Heidi_c. Heidi's fiancé, and just one of the people who sell as part of House Morbannaon, which is a company, not just one individual seller.

Whilst constructive criticism of any of our products is appreciated and welcomed, finger-pointing, jeering and derogatory comments are not. I've usually found that gamers are a very open-minded group of people, themselves often the subject of prejudice and verbal abuse from those members of the general public or school-age peers who do not understand our interest in RPGs. I was considerably saddened therefore to find that this is exactly what is going on here. If you do not feel that the Custom Characters service is something you would wish to participate in, then simply don't buy one. Other people have enjoyed both the NPCs and PCs that we have created, which is why we decided to include them in our online stock as well as our offline services.

Custom Characters are simply something that those members of House Morbannaon who are gamers thought would be fun to do in our spare time. We enjoy making characters, adventures, campaigns and all the other details that go into a good RPG, and we enjoy sharing our work with others. If people buy them, great, if not, then no problem; it's not like we've wasted any time over it. Sometimes we're asked to make up an unusual character as a present for someone, or a DM will ask for a set of NPCs for a campaign he or she is running. Since people have asked for the service, we decided to provide it for them.

Buy them or don't. It's your choice; no-one's going to force you into it. If you can't handle the idea that someone wants to do this as a hobby and a bit of fun, then you have my sympathy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:57 am 

Halondiyr wrote:Nope, not Heidi_c. Heidi's fiancé, and just one of the people who sell as part of House Morbannaon, which is a company, not just one individual seller.

Whilst constructive criticism of any of our products is appreciated and welcomed, finger-pointing, jeering and derogatory comments are not. I've usually found that gamers are a very open-minded group of people, themselves often the subject of prejudice and verbal abuse from those members of the general public or school-age peers who do not understand our interest in RPGs. I was considerably saddened therefore to find that this is exactly what is going on here. If you do not feel that the Custom Characters service is something you would wish to participate in, then simply don't buy one. Other people have enjoyed both the NPCs and PCs that we have created, which is why we decided to include them in our online stock as well as our offline services.

Custom Characters are simply something that those members of House Morbannaon who are gamers thought would be fun to do in our spare time. We enjoy making characters, adventures, campaigns and all the other details that go into a good RPG, and we enjoy sharing our work with others. If people buy them, great, if not, then no problem; it's not like we've wasted any time over it. Sometimes we're asked to make up an unusual character as a present for someone, or a DM will ask for a set of NPCs for a campaign he or she is running. Since people have asked for the service, we decided to provide it for them.

Buy them or don't. It's your choice; no-one's going to force you into it. If you can't handle the idea that someone wants to do this as a hobby and a bit of fun, then you have my sympathy.

Uhhh...ok.  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:40 am 

It seems I raised some buzz. Well, that's my specialty. But I feel like the buzz was actually raised by Halondyr himself. I just pointed at an auction, making no comments, either positive or negative. Maybe that was a bit off-topic, but I noticed it in the About Me page and found it curious, so I posted it up there, that's why it ended up in this thread. I didn't say it was "laughable", but I guess Halondyr took it as such.

On the other end, I do not approve the character rolling. You can offer whatever you want, mind you, but I pity the player who requests a character made by someone else. If he has exact requests, level per level, then he is certainly able to do that himself, and likely has already taken the time to scratch it. If he simply wants a generic character, then he might end up with something he won't like, because the growth of a character cannot be determined a-priori, but is a continuing process. You don't know what you really want from your character until he has lived some experiences determining what he needs and what he doesn't, and that is something only the DM can tell (and, often, neither can he). So I really see no reason why a ROLEplayer should have someone else create a character for him.

Unless this player simply wants a maximized character, to master one or more fields (combat, stealth, elemental magic and so on), to have an unbeatable character, or the like. But in this case, I feel he did not catch the real meaning of ROLEplaying. That's more akin to power-play or munchkinism, which, by chance, have been greatly pushed by the 3rd edition. This was the reason why I stated that "this is the offspring of the power-play mindset".

I hope I made my point clearer. Then again, you are free to sell whatever you want while it's legal; however, let people have and express different opinions about what you sell. Until they becomes offensive, of course.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:44 am 

red_bus wrote:...there is a pic on his 'about me' page of the very individual who will likely be rolling up your character...  :D

eBay View About Me for heidi_c

Try following his poetry link.

You gotta love a poem that starts out:  "Dark blackness..."

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:47 am 

Halondiyr wrote:It's all a moot point really though isn't it?

If someone wants to buy one they will; if not, they won't.

I think you're right, Halondiyr.  (Welcome to the Acaeum, by the way.)

I might buy a published book of pre-generated NPC's...so why not from a another gamer, if the price was right?

Good luck on the auction.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:59 am 

This is totally laughable  :lol:  :lol:   Tarot readings (honest ones even) are a joke, House mudjdf Whatever is just a bunch of bunk.  Come on guys, we are gamers but gaming is not real life, I say enjoy the game and get a life at the same time.  

Also get a real job, rolling characters for people for a few dollars is just plain deranged.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:28 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
   You gotta love a poem that starts out:  "Dark blackness..."

Mark   8)

:lol:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 57 of 113123 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 111112113