Current Tsojconth auction
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:43 pm 

From the author's desciption of the current Tsojconth auction:

"I accumulated some of these with the plans to run it again as a dungeon which I did but then had a few left over that I've just kept all these years."

8O

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:37 pm 

8O Ditto.....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:52 am 

Questions from other buyers  

Q:  How many of these do you have, how many do you plan on selling and when? answered on: Nov-04-04  
  A:  Hello--- I have a few. This is the only one for sale at the moment. I don't know when I'll list any more. Thanks. Howard

8O  "Few" is a relative term, could be 2/3 or could mean 20+  

The recent rash of 10 mint-condition copies in a verified stash found during a hobby-store takeover, this seller, and....let's not forget that 3-holed copy that's been for sale forever. Also it seems everyone around here already has a copy or 2,3…..Hmmmm….I wonder how many can be accounted for?

Invincible 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:30 pm 

The owner of that punched Tsojconth is still hoping to get $655 at their ebay store.

At least if I hole punched something, it was because the binding was damaged beyond the point of saving (if square bound), or the pages were ripped apart to begin with (saddle stitched).  These were on already damaged, non-collectible copies of books, so there was no value to begin with.  Plus I wanted to go with an inexpensive solution that would allow me to lay the book flat, which on more than a few of these books, is just not possible.

A Tsojconth is a different story.  I don't have one, but the equivalent in my collection would be going out of my way to destroy the binding of my copy of Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium simply to replace it with a tape binding.  Of course, I am comparing apples with oranges here.  After all, Tsojconth was almost thirty years ago, and people really didn't think about collectability back then, unlike today where you're unlikely to find severely damaged copies of Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:13 pm 

Bottom line, the original owner, or whomever, should NOT have hole punched the module. As a second ever produced module, it was always well known to be quite uncommon (Or should have been), even when it was new.....

Obviously way back then no one knew what we collecting geeks would pay for this item 30 years later, so a lot of understanding and some forgiveness should be offered to the offending hole puncher...

Of course, it is now one of the most rare D&D Items available. But unfortunately IMO being hole punched gives it far less value than if it were not hole punched...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:14 am 

Aneoth wrote:Bottom line, the original owner, or whomever, should NOT have hole punched the module. As a second ever produced module, it was always well known to be quite uncommon (Or should have been), even when it was new.....

Obviously way back then no one knew what we collecting geeks would pay for this item 30 years later, so a lot of understanding and some forgiveness should be offered to the offending hole puncher...

Of course, it is now one of the most rare D&D Items available. But unfortunately IMO being hole punched gives it far less value than if it were not hole punched...

Imagine it's the late 70's and you're at some convention playing some game, and you get handed a few sheets of material in a ziploc bag.  You play the adventure, punch the sheets (so they don't get destroyed)  :!: and place them in a binder.  I think we should be happy some random tourney module survived this long at all...I would have thrown mine out after the convention, most likely.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:59 am 

True, some would have tossed the module and zip lock bag out, and others would have treated them like a bunch of totally worthless papers in a bag and the modules would have been misplaced and lost at some point over the years.

That is why it is so valuable now. Because so few thought they would be worth beans 30 years later.

If everyone had saved their own copy in pristine condition, then the values would of course be much lower, since the number of available copies would be much higher.

As for the value of the hole punched module? I do not believe that it is worth so much as she has been trying to get for it. But I also do not believe that it is completely worthless either....

I made a lower offer to her at one point in one of her earlier auctions, she politely refused and she still owns it and is still trying to sell it.

At some point, someone will buy it for what she wants and she and that person will be happy I am sure, and I offer them both my congratulations in advance.

But that person will not be me… :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:52 am 

Aneoth wrote:

I made a lower offer to her at one point in one of her earlier auctions, she politely refused and she still owns it and is still trying to sell it.

I made an offer to her of $300 when it didn't make reserve a while back. I got no response, so I e-mailed again and moved the offer to $400 and still got no response. I think she's the poster child for PBS's Antique Roadshow. A close associate is an antique dealer and laughs at the inflated quotes of the "experts". I think she's been on the coach to long. Collecting ethics are completely out of hand as I'm sure you already know. Everyone thinks they have "the treasure" and values it at max price. :twisted:

Here's a funny fact I posted a little while back if you didn't see it.

I just did the financing math on the Tsojconth if you got it at the $28 dollars a month it would take 6 years and a total of $1988 at final payment.

Financing still available :lol:

Invincible 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:51 pm 

Was anybody else watching this one right when the bids jumped from ~$406 to >$1000?  8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:52 am 

tim66 wrote:Was anybody else watching this one right when the bids jumped from ~$406 to >$1000?  8O

This is in line with it's real value...I think most of us assumed a snipe would win it.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:49 am 

Here we go again; another Tsoj on the block 8O

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

I'll take mine super-sized with a large coke :D

Invincible 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:13 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Here we go again; another Tsoj on the block 8O

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

I'll take mine super-sized with a large coke :D

Invincible 8)

What can I say? I'd been intending to do this for some time, and the appearance of the last one on eBay prompted me to get my lazy butt in gear  :)  ...and would you like fries with that?   :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:39 pm 

Yes, and supersize the American Fries too please.....

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:32 pm 

(fyi)
=== SECOND OFFER SCAM running off the back of this auction ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5931050279 ) ===

Have just confirmed this with the seller; attempting to contact other auction participants (and a warning to others, here).

Email received was as follows:

----- Original Message -----
To: <wittsd@====>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 4:48 PM
Subject: eBay Second Chance Offer from Seller Item number: 5931050279
>
> This email was sent by an eBay member via eBay's email forwarding system.
> If you reply to the email, your response will go directly to the member and
> not through eBay.
>
> eBay Marketplace Safety Tip:
> If this email is an offer to sell you an item without winning the listing
> on eBay, please report it to us at Contournement des frais de vente.
> Please do not respond to it.  Regardless of the apparent feedback of the
> sender or any claims they might make, such an offer is not only against our
> rules, but it is extremely risky.  It is unsafe to purchase such an item through
> a transaction that is not on our site. You will lose the benefit of eBay's
> purchase protection programs, and run the risk of losing your money.
>
> --------------------
>
>
> To member:   harami2000
> From member: baterii76
>
> --------------------
>
>
> You expressed interest in an item titled: <: LOST CAVERNS of TSOJCONTH - d&d module - rpg :> Item number: 5931050279 by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. To purchase this item please contact the seller at this email address :[email protected]
>           To learn more about Second Chance Offer go to: Making a Second Chance Offer
>
> Thank you, eBay, Inc.
>
> --------------------

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:39 pm 

Have contacted all auction particpants down to, and including, <mcduff> (that's as far as my message quota goes).

Text of message was:

======

Re: LOST CAVERNS of TSOJCONTH auction (5931050279).

There is a "second chance" scam running off the back of this auction. Have confirmed this with the seller.

Please also see:
Current Tsojconth auction • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Kind regards,
David. <harami2000>

(p.s. and report sent to eBay ([email protected]) per eBay: Redirect )

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:21 pm 

On a completely different note, sandralock has relisted her 3-hole punched copy AGAIN.  I'm sort of feeling sad watching it go around..
cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... RK:MEWA:IT

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:31 pm 

Hey, at this rate it should be down to $500 or so next Christmas. Jesus, you'd think the idiot would realize he/she needs to shave a considerable amount off the price. $50 here and there isn't going to cut it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:37 pm 

Seller needs to let the market determine the price. Like Frank says, it is moronic to slightly adjust the price. Get clue...

I am guessing it would for around $200 on the open market.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Next