Classic TSR Catalogs
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:40 am 

How many editions of the 1980 sales catalog from TSR entitled GATEWAY TO ADVENTURE were there?   What about other TSR catalogs?  To my knowledge, very little info is out there on this subject.

There is no edition but first.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:35 am 

Hi-  I have noticed the standard Gateway to Adventure black cover that came in all of the basic sets. I have on great occasion noticed a white cover one but never had a chance to pick one up to see how it differs.  As far as the other catalogs I have picked up quite a few myself because I find it to be an excellent resource of alot of material available during that time period.   One catalog I would like to see is the one mentioned in the back of the mid-70's digest rulebooks. They asked for $2 for the catalog and not much more for the rulebooks. If anyone has one I would love to see a pict of it at least and hear a description of its contents.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:54 am 

and also on the catalog(ue...lol)s ..... does any one notice that frequently they have pictures of soon to be realesed items with covers, and the released items came with different sometimes radically different covers to the ones that were shown in the catalog??? Would acaeum like scans of these... the 1988 one is full of these... and also smaller things like mentioning that Castle Greyhawk (WG7) is to be written by 14 (I think 12 in printed version) each assigned to write a dungeon level.....  Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:46 pm 

I certainly would like any of that info or scans.  The catalogs were often completed before the modules; a "mock-up" cover was often commissioned in lieu of the final cover (see B1, B2, DDA3, and DDA4, off the top of my head).  Also, editorial decisions such as cutting the 14 authors down on WG7 is interesting trivia, too.  Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:03 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:I certainly would like any of that info or scans.  The catalogs were often completed before the modules; a "mock-up" cover was often commissioned in lieu of the final cover (see B1, B2, DDA3, and DDA4, off the top of my head).  Also, editorial decisions such as cutting the 14 authors down on WG7 is interesting trivia, too.  Foul
 no worries, from memory too,  there are some "mock-up" covers in dragon mags as well (sorry going from memory on this one...) I'll keep them out, scan  and give you a web address so you can download em without filling up your mail box;) I'll also scan the foreign stuff I have as well....  Brette:)