Latest eBay email spoof
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:39 am 

Received this message in my Inbox this morning.

Alert ID : 0262341143

You have received this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids on eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter. To help speed up this process, you are required to verify your eBay account by following the link below.

eBay

Please save this fraud alert id for your reference

Please Note - If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be cancelled. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used to combat fraud.  

We appreciate your support and understating, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification message.

Copyright 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. is located at Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:06 am 

I'm receiving 2-3 phishing emails daily. eBay, Paypal, Citibank. The latter is the most amusing, as it requests me to log in to me Citibank account. I was never a customer of them...

Should eBay Safe Harbour ever send me email, chances are 99.9 % that it ends up unread in my trashbin  8O

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:45 pm 

Citibank mails are actually quite interesting. In the company where I work (IT admin) the only people that that are targeted by those mails are the upper management folks, and only them, no one else gets them. I am still trying to find out how their targeting mechanism works. If you have 2000+ employees and only the higher echelons of the company get those mails it looks really strange.

Ironically those ebay phishing mails only started to come into my mailbox about a month after I made my first purchase on ebay  :?  I never got them before.