Question for the UK gang?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:04 pm 

Do you have a preference or feel more nostalgic for the TSR/GW stuff over the American printings of the same books or variants like the character sheets? If your finances dictated where would your collecting loyalties lie?

And what about the rest of our multi-national crew. Are there strong desire's to collect printings in your native tongue?

Mike

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:22 pm 

RPG adventures in the Geman language sound totally alien to me. We have a popular gaming system over here ("Das Schwarze Auge"), which was my first RPG. The atmosphere is totally different - RPGs in the English language are way cooler. The German translations of the AD&D stuff sometimes are really bad, if you know the original.

I'm considering collecting the German 1E AD&D stuff at a later date, but probably not the 2E stuff from the 90s, when AMIGO Spiele held the German license. Their products never appealed to me visually. There are some interesting German collectibles, however - for example "Gruft des Grauens" (Tomb of Horrors), signed by Gygax had a print run of 1,000, the German Planescape Monstrous Compendium is rare, and the 1st Edition and D&D modules are interesting. I still have some shrinkwrapped German Dragonlance modules lying around, in case anyone wants to trade.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:51 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:RPG adventures in the Geman language sound totally alien to me. We have a popular gaming system over here ("Das Schwarze Auge"), which was my first RPG. The atmosphere is totally different - RPGs in the English language are way cooler. The German translations of the AD&D stuff sometimes are really bad, if you know the original.

I'm considering collecting the German 1E AD&D stuff at a later date, but probably not the 2E stuff from the 90s, when AMIGO Spiele held the German license. Their products never appealed to me visually. There are some interesting German collectibles, however - for example "Gruft des Grauens" (Tomb of Horrors), signed by Gygax had a print run of 1,000, the German Planescape Monstrous Compendium is rare, and the 1st Edition and D&D modules are interesting. I still have some shrinkwrapped German Dragonlance modules lying around, in case anyone wants to trade.

My dad would love these.  He played with us in our early games (probably checking the game out to make sure we weren't devil worshippers), and if I recall correctly, his first two characters were named Krieger and Dieb.

I'm personally always a little fascinated with 'foreign stuff', for some unknown reason.  I think a lot of collectors are.  For some reason, the UK stuff in particular.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:56 am 

I suppose that I collected UK editions by default.  But most of these were used and I would like to replace them with better condition versions.  Trouble is, these now seem to command a premium.  So, it might be a long wait before I snag them listed in the wrong category.

Since picking up an Oz Basic rulebook, I then became interested in getting the Oz monos.  And I regularly check the Oz listings.

I think I just prefer the monos and early stuff.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:21 am 

hmm..

I suppose I don't really have a preference for UK vs US stuff except when it comes to magazines, where I am not so interested in Dragon but definitely interested in White Dwarf.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:31 am 

red_bus wrote:hmm..

I suppose I don't really have a preference for UK vs US stuff except when it comes to magazines, where I am not so interested in Dragon but definitely interested in White Dwarf.

I always preferred Dragon.  But I bought WD because it was much more affordable on my limited budget.

Wish I'd subscribed to more fanzines though.  I only have the Beholder whereas one of my playing group subscribed to probably every UK fanzine going at the time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:53 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:RPG adventures in the Geman language sound totally alien to me. We have a popular gaming system over here ("Das Schwarze Auge"), which was my first RPG. The atmosphere is totally different - RPGs in the English language are way cooler. The German translations of the AD&D stuff sometimes are really bad, if you know the original.

Interesting. (How do you play the english modules, Ralf? In hybrid language or all english or all german?)
I mostly concur, though. The translations are quite bad sometimes and for 2E AMIGO certainly did butcher the look. (Though i recently got some books by them and the interiors are quite nice.)

I have an old german 1996 TSR catalog booklet with preview of german Neromancers and Castle Guide, Player`s Option books and even some Planescape modules and boxes which look great! (just like the english ones), but sadly they were never printed. I inquired once about the castle guide on the amigo boards (if they wanted to make it avialable online as the english one is), but got no conclusive answer as to the material even existing.

If anyone needs any of the existing german books let me know. I have some spare 1E AD&D  PH, DMG and MM 1&2 at the moment. Others are quite easy to get, mostly.