Boxed Set Care
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:09 am 

Anyone here who collects, especially 2nd ed, notice how the edges of the boxed set tops bow after a while? Is there a way to prevent that?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:23 am 

Yes, this happens always when they are stored with their large side on the surface (cover up). This happens even faster, when other boxes are then put on top of the first box (more weight). Sadly, a lot of sellers on eBay who empty their storage had the boxes stored exactly this way. A better way is to put them with their smaller side on the surface, this delays the bending process. If you have them sitting on a shelf, use sustainers, too. I suppose the best way would be, to re-shrink them, but I haven't tried yet...

This is just my humble opinion.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:00 am 

Shrink wrap?  If anything, that might hasten the bending process.  The best solution I've found is to pack as much stuff as possible into the box and then store it small side up.  It's what I did with my World of Greyhawk boxed set as well as my Worlds of Wonder set.  Of course, there is a bit more value in the second set, as it has a copy of 2d Edition Runequest in it (smaller box).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:04 pm 

Traveller wrote:Shrink wrap?  If anything, that might hasten the bending process.

Hm. The original idea was, that the box would have no more space for bending. But, remembering the squashed shrinked Dark Sun Boxes I've seen, that's probably an illusion. I guess, you're right there.

BTW, those Dark Sun boxes were really very poorly constructed. The new format (with the flip-books) was nice, but the boxes of my playing copies are all bent and squashed now ... That's very different with the Al-Qadim boxes, which were released at nearly the same time. These wre made of really hard cardboard. However, even though they were much more solid and also had shorter sides than regular boxed settings, they eventually bend when stored wrong.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)