The Holy Grail is up for sale on E-Bay
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:47 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5930345635

Bid high and bid often as it will NOT sell the for the $2,200.00 BIN price, I have stoppped that.  :lol:
Good luck to us all.... And god help the guy who wins if his wife finds out...., unless your a lady that is....

First Print Wood Grain Box Set. Mint books, Very Good Box. The correction sheet is in mint condition.............

HEY!!!!
WAIT a minute!!!!!!!
Does the First Print Wood Grain Box Set even have a correction sheet????????? :!:  :!:  :!:

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:51 pm 

No, but it's possible one was placed in there at a later date.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:55 pm 

*g*. Yet another first print with horizontal grain and smallish label...
(per http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6932136508 )

> Bid high and bid often as it will NOT sell the for the $2,200.00 BIN price, I have stoppped that.

Hrr... You could've given them a chance ;)

(aside: some of the scans are cropped, too. Yes, casually bidding $1,000 seems fine, but other people will be asking for more evidence of condition, I'm sure).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:02 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*g*. Yet another first print with horizontal grain and smallish label...
(per http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6932136508 )

> Bid high and bid often as it will NOT sell the for the $2,200.00 BIN price, I have stoppped that.

Hrr... You could've given them a chance ;)

(aside: some of the scans are cropped, too. Yes, casually bidding $1,000 seems fine, but other people will be asking for more evidence of condition, I'm sure).

Especially from a 5-feedback seller.  Though he does seem quite informed.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:06 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Bid high and bid often

why?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:06 pm 

harami said:

"Hrr... You could've given them a chance ..."

Yeah right....

harami also said:

"(aside: some of the scans are cropped, too. Yes, casually bidding $1,000 seems fine, but other people will be asking for more evidence of condition, I'm sure)."

Yes, I have done that too.  :idea:

I felt like I had to put a stop to the BIN (Nipped it in the BIN so to say) If I had not done so, then I would most likely quickly loose out on the only First Print Wood Grain Box Set I may ever see.

At least this way I now have a slight chance to outbid Cougar, harami, dark this, and dark that, et al..... it will be a dogfight if it truly prooves to be a First Print, and not a hoax. :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:07 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Though he does seem quite informed.

Thanks to you-know-where. :)
Who else sets values?

(Wonder where that BIN price came from, too ;))

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:09 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Though he does seem quite informed.

Thanks to you-know-where. :)
Who else sets values?

(Wonder where that BIN price came from, too ;))

Hmmm...think we can bribe Foulfoot to take a 0 off the end of the valuations?  :)   We'd save a fortune!

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:12 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I felt like I had to put a stop to the BIN (Nipped it in the BIN so to say) If I had not done so, then I would most likely quickly loose out on the only First Print Wood Grain Box Set I may ever see.

I was under the impression Paul thought he had overpaid (and not just from the point of view of that dodgy volume 3 we've both got).
Also, I suspect his set is in similar (or more likely, better condition).
*digs out old piccie*
(hrrr, woodgrain direction, Paul??)

If anyone else wanted to cough up the same money on spec, I wouldn't have minded watching! :o

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:16 pm 

"The third book is 1st edition, 2nd printing"
!!!!!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:19 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Aneoth wrote:I felt like I had to put a stop to the BIN (Nipped it in the BIN so to say) If I had not done so, then I would most likely quickly loose out on the only First Print Wood Grain Box Set I may ever see.

I was under the impression Paul thought he had overpaid (and not just from the point of view of that dodgy volume 3 we've both got).
Also, I suspect his set is in similar (or more likely, better condition).
*digs out old piccie*
[ Image ]
(hrrr, woodgrain direction, Paul??)

If anyone else wanted to cough up the same money on spec, I wouldn't have minded watching! :o

Is that a FIRST Print? Does it include the errata sheet? What about the seperate sheets? Does a First Print have those too??? HELP!! I need data!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:34 pm 

Aneoth wrote:HELP!! I need data!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me, but you've just put $1,000 on the table! ;)
(aside: A bid retraction would be perfectly acceptable if the description has changed fundamentally, of course... (JMO)).

That piccie is Paul's "record breaking" set which the current seller was using as his benchmark for the $2,200 BIN.

"Received opinions" on busted sets and chimaeras could make this one rather interesting to say the least.
(And I still ain't had any feedback about that other recent sale mentioned above re. my querying horizontal woodgrain on a 1st print, despite going strong to buy that particular trashed up set myself for its "piece" value (i.e. needing another woodgrain box to store my first prints and a "decent" right-colored volume 3!)).

David.

p.s. hiya Peter!
(Active sales hyping generally not encouraged, I think (not my board, though!), but clarifications and reassurances greatly appreciated, I'm sure :) Looking forward to seeing the extra scans... especially if the condition's better than I might've expected from cautious reaction to cropped scans)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:44 pm 

Been there done that. Already asked the seller to remove my bid.....
No need to retract a bid when the sller lied....
I think that I was born at night but I am pretty certain that it was not last night.... :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:44 pm 

Hey everyone,
  I am the seller of the set. Here are some more scans of the set. Upon further research, the 3rd book is 1st/2nd printing.  The errata sheet and 3rd book must have been added at a later date. I am not an expert on the set, but I do know enough about the different printings to know that what I have is a very early set in very good condition. I will scan as much as you need to verify my research. If you have any questions, ask away. If you need to talk to me in person, I will gladly email you a contact number.

Here is the box. As stated in the description, the color is even throughout. The scanner does not deal well with the depth of the box:
Comcast
Here is the scan of the back of the box:
Comcast
Here is book 1 outside and in:
Comcast
Comcast
Here is book 2 outside and in:
Comcast
Comcast
Here is book 3 outside and in:
Comcast
Comcast

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:58 pm 

(think we had a mass pile-up of messages there!)

Yeah, those scans are a lot better than the one with the auction. Thanks :)

You're a brave man, Peter, to have scanned the insides of high-quality copies, given the tendency of that cardstock to crack.

Very difficult to get an accurate color match with other 1st/2nd print copies but these appear fine for the covers. GK logo has strobed on the scan which seems correct enough.
The third volume also seems to have the same lighter paper stock for the printed pages, inside, which would also tally with my 2nd prints.

Condition for volumes 1 & 2 certainly looks better without the cropping ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:01 pm 

lol he probably won't removed your bid man.......

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:04 pm 

I also just want you all to know that I am not trying to rip anyone off or misrepresent what I have. I am not just a guy who randomly found this and put it up on EBay. I have been a D&D player since the old redbox and Fiend Folio days.  I recognize that you all need to have the proper information to seriously bid on this. I am more than willing to drop the opening bid price if you all feel that it is unfair. I want to help you get what you want and feel that the deal was fair and fun.

Cheers

...and yes, I will remove that bid!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:06 pm 

Peter, welcome to the Acaeum Forum.

These pictures are far more clear Thanks for posting them here.

Next