the one that got away....
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 47 of 53123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 515253
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:35 pm 

damn, outbid on the Tradervale!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:59 am 

Ok condition is not the best one,  but congrats to the buyer here:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:03 pm 

Heh. I had forgotten about this thread. Thanks for the necro.  :)

I had one get away from me a few weeks back from an estate sale. At least thirty board games (that I could identify in the pics - there were more) in the military and sports arena. Avalon Hill, SPI and that type of material. A couple of the games I had researched went for anywhere from $15-ish to $150 depending on the year. One of them I only found two sales on EBay. The first was a final of $450 on open auction, the other $900 on a best offer. All told, for what I could see in the pics, there was a potential of a good bit over $1000-1200 in value for the lot. Unfortunately, I could not scrounge up the cash in my PayPal account quickly enough to bid any higher than $170... and I was the second highest bid.

Damn being a day late and a dollar short.  :cry:

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:42 pm 

Well, who snagged this jewel?

Look at this on eBay 1977 TSR Dungeons & Dragons The Lost Caverns  | eBay

Carpe DM!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:01 pm 

cdenham wrote in the one that got away....:Well, who snagged this jewel?

Look at this on eBay 1977 TSR Dungeons & Dragons The Lost Caverns  | eBay

That would be me. The module was originally included in another auction as part of an A4 Binder the seller had acquired which contained a number of gems including this first mono printing of The Lost Caverns of Tsojconth. I nearly won the original auction listing for just seven hundred dollars however the seller cancelled the auction with a day to go citing a mistake with the listing. The subsequent re-listing omitted the TLCoJ module.  I contacted the seller and made an offer which the seller accepted. Aside from the punch holes - all 8 sheets including the cover sheet are intact and in nice condition (aside from the cover page having a corner ding) - alas the original ziplock bag was not included.

I would have loved to have gotten the entire folder as it also contained some pages which looked suspiciously like pre-production material which would have been interesting to have acquired however I'm happy with the find - its an interesting read and quite different to the later released S4 module. Also being UK based these days its not often I am able to acquire items such as this one - well not without a trip to the US anyways - so when the opportunity arises I take it. :)

Anyone grab the ST1 module that was recently listed on Ebay? It was from a UK seller so not sure if you guys spotted it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm 

Zeus wrote in the one that got away....:That would be me. The module was originally included in another auction as part of an A4 Binder the seller had acquired which contained a number of gems including this first mono printing of The Lost Caverns of Tsojconth. [snip]

I would have loved to have gotten the entire folder as it also contained some pages which looked suspiciously like pre-production material which would have been interesting to have acquired

Did you save the original auction by chance, Zeus?  I'd love to take a look at the pre-production materials, if possible!

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 pm 

Dear Allan,

This is how rumors get started. From Zeus stating "they look suspiciously like pre-production materials" you morphed that into "I'd love to look at THE pre-production materials" giving his statement legitimacy. The next thing we will see is a thread asking what the value is for a pre-publication version of Tsojconth. You are well respected Allan and people take your opinions very seriously.

Your friend,

Bill

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 am 

1977 TSR Dungeons & Dragons The Lost Caverns  | eBay

Looks more like the back cover of "Monster & Treasure Assortment Set Two" than pre-production materials.

This was, more than likely, the other contents:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:14 am 

grodog wrote in the one that got away....:
Zeus wrote in the one that got away....:That would be me. The module was originally included in another auction as part of an A4 Binder the seller had acquired which contained a number of gems including this first mono printing of The Lost Caverns of Tsojconth. [snip]

I would have loved to have gotten the entire folder as it also contained some pages which looked suspiciously like pre-production material which would have been interesting to have acquired

Did you save the original auction by chance, Zeus?  I'd love to take a look at the pre-production materials, if possible!

Allan.

No, I'm afraid not. As I recall the folder contained early copies of the Monster and Treasure Assortment Sets, Judges Guild material including Ready Reference Sheets and several note pages relating to D&D and Empires of the Petal Throne.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:42 am 

cdenham wrote in the one that got away....:Well, who snagged this jewel?

Look at this on eBay

1977 TSR Dungeons & Dragons The Lost Caverns $1,300.00   * sold *   (fixed price) ended     Fri Mar 10th  8:10am Seller:  kingoftiques

dbartman wrote in the one that got away....:

Looks more like the back cover of "Monster & Treasure Assortment Set Two" than pre-production materials.

btw, the final price of the Lost Caverns was around $1200.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:01 pm 

stratochamp wrote in the one that got away....:This is how rumors get started. From Zeus stating "they look suspiciously like pre-production materials" you morphed that into "I'd love to look at THE pre-production materials" giving his statement legitimacy. The next thing we will see is a thread asking what the value is for a pre-publication version of Tsojconth. You are well respected Allan and people take your opinions very seriously.

Having seen some pre-production materials for Tsojconth, I was very curious to see more, if they turned out to be such, but your comments are duly noted, Bill!---I was certainly not trying to grind the rumor mill another turn or two :)

Zeus wrote in the one that got away....:
grodog wrote in the one that got away....:Did you save the original auction by chance, Zeus?  I'd love to take a look at the pre-production materials, if possible!

No, I'm afraid not. As I recall the folder contained early copies of the Monster and Treasure Assortment Sets, Judges Guild material including Ready Reference Sheets and several note pages relating to D&D and Empires of the Petal Throne.

That's all I saw when I looked at the other sold lots, too, so thank you for clarifying!

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 pm 

Anyone grab the ST1 module that was recently listed on Ebay? It was from a UK seller so not sure if you guys spotted it.

[/quote]

I won the ST1, but today seller cancelled the sale even though already paid for and claimed I requested it.  So since he lied about cancel reason, assuming some sore loser made an off eBay offer that was higher and unethical seller took it.  Alerted eBay to this, though sounds like they could care less and left negative feedback for seller who has yet to respond to my inquiry as to why it was cancelled.  Supposedly refund issued, but not posted to my account yet.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm 

Looking at the seller's feedback, at least one of his other negatives was re-sold at a much higher price.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 pm 

That's a shame.  Not good when a seller does that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:18 am 

Weird.

4100 bucks is already a kinda steep price even for a ST1

D&D in the world @DNDCollecting
A quick look at the rarest, oddest, most elusive items within the Dungeons & Dragons franchise, with a special focus on obscure international (non-US) items

https://twitter.com/DNDCollecting

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:45 am 

Yeah, I thought he came out pretty good at getting that much. I hate it when that happens.

Carpe DM!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am 

d3rmond wrote in the one that got away....:Weird.

4100 bucks is already a kinda steep price even for a ST1

Agreed.

However with the recent appreciated values of other rare D&D items, it may be part of the "wave of upswing"...

Still a bit high though...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm 

The disadvantage of bidding in British Pounds.  Pay a premium in the currency conversion to US Dollars.  I almost let it go, but last few minutes I added another 100 pounds, since we were already at 3100, figured what was another 100.  Won at that.  Price was on high end, but this was the last book I needed to have every D&D book made between 1974 and 1993, so was worth the extra.  

Interestingly, last friday, that 3200 pounds was only 4000 dollars, see the currency has changed again to make it over 4100 now.  

Still angers me that seller cancelled the sale, guess someone else wanted it even more than I did.........

So if anyone has one in good shape, would be willing to offer same $4000 for it......just PM me :)

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 47 of 53123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 515253