the one that got away....
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 31 of 53123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 515253
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Damn....knew I should have put a higher bid in on this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Figured I could get away with about the same price I paid for Blizzard Pass last year.  Guess not.  :(

Yep... I was watching the shrink parade roll by.  (It is Mardi Gras season, of course ;))   When this one reached 30+, I decided to pass - too much other stuff to bid on this weekend :)

Managed to pick up one or two of the shrink modules myself, nothing particularly rare but fills gaps in my collection.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:53 pm 

Lost out on that one by a buck  :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:27 am 

You know, there just some items that I never seem to win. Now, mind you, I have never been too serious about this set, but it is a hole. And I am beginning to get pissed. :evil:

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:32 am 

bbarsh wrote:You know, there just some items that I never seem to win. Now, mind you, I have never been too serious about this set, but it is a hole. And I am beginning to get pissed. :evil:

Wow that one went cheap for a US auction.  I think the last one I watched in the US sold fro $40-$45.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:36 pm 

Hey Stephen, great catch on that auction.  You did get this for $30, right?

If so, here's a weird thing about this...I submitted a best offer to the seller about five days ago for $30.  Eventually he got back to me, but countered with a $40 offer.  I waffled on it, and decided to not go through with it as soon as we got back into town (the end time of the counter offer), but then I see that the seller relinquished and sold it for $30. I'm glad my offer at least broke the seller in for one of us on the site!  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:10 pm 

Yeah, that was me, and thanks for your help!  We'll see about that signature, I guess.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:26 am 

Here's something I won a bit ago:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... SA:US:1123

I'm not on top of prices for early edition PH and MM so can anyone tell me if the winning bid price was good?  Bear in mind I didn't have to pay the huge shipping fee as I got the seller to agee to ship USPS for about $15.

The reason I bring this up is I received an email from the seller today:

Hey there, Gary

Well, it's my fault. I didn't insure the package, and it looks like someone stole the contents. The box was returned to me, taped up but empty except for the newspaper that I used to pack it, stamped that it was received in damaged condition.

I am angry because the packaging isn't broken. It looks like it was opened and retaped, and since you never saw it, that had to happen in a post office. Anyway, I will refund your PayPal payment. I'm very sorry.

~Luna

Sounds sincere but since it happened with an ebay transaction the red flags are out.  Seems a little to willing to give a refund, IMO.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:16 am 

that strikes me as an excellent deal! maybe too excellent hence the goods not actually arriving.
it would be very interesting if this lot or parts of it come up again...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:51 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:Sounds sincere but since it happened with an ebay transaction the red flags are out.  Seems a little to willing to give a refund, IMO.

I think it sounds convoluted and suspicious. I think the last time I received a package that was damaged during transit by the post office, they specifically either stamped or taped a message which apologized for the opened condition. In that case, the package was still delivered to the recipient (me) and not to the sender.

We should watch out for these books being put up again, unless the seller sold them outside of Ebay.

Mike.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:41 am 

Sounds sincere

Not really. Nothing you can do though except get your refund.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:06 am 

misterspock wrote:
I think it sounds convoluted and suspicious. I think the last time I received a package that was damaged during transit by the post office, they specifically either stamped or taped a message which apologized for the opened condition. In that case, the package was still delivered to the recipient (me) and not to the sender.

We should watch out for these books being put up again, unless the seller sold them outside of Ebay.

Mike.

Yeah as long as there is still an address to be sent to, the post office will do that, not mail it back to the sender.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:47 am 

I agree.  This is a case of the seller didn't like the sales price.  

After you get your money back, it might be fun to play the devil with this fellow (I am an evil man, aren't I? :twisted: ).  Point out that the Post Office has always delivered to an address (and not return address) before, why not now?  And you could flat out lie and say you asked his Post Office manager about the policy and package and convey that his Post Office policies are the same as the rest of the US, and that he remembers no such package coming to his attention.  Naw, I don't recommend lying for anyone, and I apologize for my evil thoughts. :oops:

In all seriousness, I wonder if bclarkie's super sniffer could dig up information relevant to this "mystery." :roll:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 am 

I actually sold a buch of IJ modules in the shrink a few months ago (to an acaeum member I think) and the package arrived with just one module inside.

It was opened, obviously, but still went through to buyer.

Also, when you ship media mail, the post office does have the right to inspect. So they might be opening and some post office lifer is blowing off his job in repackaging...government efficiency - an oxy moron.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:36 am 

benjoshua wrote:I agree.  This is a case of the seller didn't like the sales price.  

After you get your money back, it might be fun to play the devil with this fellow (I am an evil man, aren't I? :twisted: ).  Point out that the Post Office has always delivered to an address (and not return address) before, why not now?  And you could flat out lie and say you asked his Post Office manager about the policy and package and convey that his Post Office policies are the same as the rest of the US, and that he remembers no such package coming to his attention.  Naw, I don't recommend lying for anyone, and I apologize for my evil thoughts. :oops:

In all seriousness, I wonder if bclarkie's super sniffer could dig up information relevant to this "mystery." :roll:

Was delivery confirmnation included?

Ask to seller to scan and email a copy of the receipt.

Ask seller to cut top of box that has postal stamp (cancel mark) and your address and scan and email.

If he balks on all of these counts, he is lying flat out.

I am willing to bet he didn't like the sales price. [I know that I missed the auction somehow and I would have bid much higher]. That auction went for 50% of what I would call normal.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14 am 

bbarsh wrote:

Ask seller to cut top of box that has postal stamp (cancel mark) and your address and scan and email.

I am willing to bet he didn't like the sales price. [I know that I missed the auction somehow and I would have bid much higher]. That auction went for 50% of what I would call normal.

Good advice.  Just do it AFTER you get your money back.  I predict he'll say he threw the package and receipt away.  OR he'll photograph another package.  Do make sure you at least get your money back. 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:28 pm 

So far it's a no on the delivery confirmation and a no on the postal receipt.   I'm just waiting now for them to tell me the box was tossed :wink:

BTW, the seller refunded me in full already.  And, just as an aside, of the many ebay auctions I have won, the only transactions with a lost in the mail scenario have been those that sold for far less than they should have.

Like everyone else I like getting a good deal.  But even as a buyer I try and be fair.  Just recently I won a mint-ish Council of Wyrms box set for $2.22 and only about $4 shipping.  Don't know how that happened.  Since this was a good seller I tipped them an extra $8 via Paypal.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:00 pm 

Oh, forgot to mention the latest email.  Seems the seller was prepared with an excuse about scanning the box lid for a cancel mark:

Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience, but I don't know what I can do to prove to you that I shipped it. I even gave away my printer-scanner to a friend the other day, or I could scan the top of the returned box. But I am literally packing up my car today, and moving out of this apartment, and it's too much of a hassle to try to get anything scanned without a scanner handy.

Not only that they are fleeing the scene of the crime :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:  Not only that they are fleeing the scene of the crime :lol:

In my opinion, he's just saying he's moving so you won't come after him.  He is not moving.  

Ask him where he's moving to and mention that you have relatives all over the country because your family has been in the military and law enforcement business for generations. :twisted:   Man!  I am evil today!  I need to be slapped.  In all seriousness, you should not lie.  Lying is bad.  Please forgive me. :oops:

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 31 of 53123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 515253