the one that got away....
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 53123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 515253
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:31 pm 

red_bus wrote:But given your larger sample size, let me put my point as a question: have you seen any/many first print sets where all three booklets were, exactly the same same size, and exactly the same colour/tone ?

Yeah, the 3rds (3,300) and 4ths (8,000?) are rather "samey".
The trivial differences within those print runs are minor compared with the (thus far) observed differences within the 1sts although, thus far, groupings within those are falling into reasonably discrete clusters.

red_bus wrote:Hmmm... if it is a 1st print then I will say that it also looked a bit trashed - but let me be clear, that is purely sour grapes on my part for not bidding.  :lol:

It was. I wouldn't have valued it much higher than that, anyhow; of which a substantial fraction was for the Gygax note. And higher priorities for limited budget at present.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:12 pm 

> The quote is from the winner. I am working on getting a scan from him and detail on vol. 3.

Cool. That would require a lil' bit of a shoehorn to fit in, if there's no indication of 2nd print anywhere. I couldn't spot any variations in the sizes of the books, but if the winner could measure each to the nearest 1/4 mm at the spine that might help greatly.
Unfortunately I couldn't judge anything by the R/G/B colors owing to the amount of dirt.

> Sure but it is a nice bit of anectdotal evidence to pile on top. Inductive reasoning is more fun than deductive reasoning any day!

More fun, perhaps, but I prefer to ditch that for research purposes when there no obvious connection whatsoever.
For example with more connection, I've got a note from Fritz Leiber dated 8/23/74 (referring to EGG as rules editor for Guidon!) along with the playtest map for Lankhmar. Is that thus dated the same? Or later... or sooner (since the game's being described as "being readied for marketing")?

>> And it ain't a variant (=late) U&WA, either.
> Right. I think that they somehow assymetrically sold out of Vol. 3 or otherwise lost that stock and reprinted it between September 1974 and March 1975.

Yeah, definitely asymmetrical either in printing and/or in sales. No doubt about that and things don't level off until the end of the 2nd print (no 2nd/3rd hybrids yet, IIRC).

> That ties in with the release of Tractics in the vertical woodgrain boxes too. (Side note - my 1st print Tractics has the same dice price crossout as the 1st print Greyhawk.

I have a differently-sized 1st print Greyhawk here with no dice price crossout, remember. ;)

Do we have any factual reason to believe the vertical grain boxes were ordered especially for Tractics? As opposed to just being the box stock that was around when Tractics came back into print.

=

> Thanks for coming back! :P Let me know if you'd consider trading or selling the WD flier.

Cheers, Paul.
Afaik it's a 2-up print of the standard WD1 ad, but you're missing the GW catalog as well, though, for the "set". GW just threw everything together into the box in order to try to boost their sales since there were also grey-market import competitors for D&D.
aside: The seller of that set was *not* the original owner.
Best guess on the 5A at present is that it is a standard US printing but, because of timing, ended up with a *substantial* chunk going to the UK (i.e. Games Workshop's first "large order"). "Normal" 5ths have also been sold on eBay.co.uk from their original owners.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:06 am 

Does anyone have a genuine non-variant 1st print otherwise? Would love to know, if so...

Welcome back David.

I have a non-variant 1st also. Ask away  :D

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:32 pm 

This one got away 8O

Never heard of the bidder but congrats

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:50 pm 

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:54 pm 

thehiddenone wrote:

WOW 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:26 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
WOW 8O

Wow, indeed!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:35 am 

Two in one day being second bidder AARGH!!  Time to go to bed!

eBay.com Item Bid History

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:53 am 

thehiddenone wrote:

Isn't the winner Troll & Toad Games?  If so, expect to see it up again on ebay with a BIN of $6,500  :wink:

Hmmm, thinks that the price is about right considering what 2nd prints have been going for over the last 18 months or so.  Might have gone to $1,450/1,550 if not snapped up...

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:25 am 

Blackmoor wrote:This one got away 8O

Never heard of the bidder but congrats

Don't sweat it, Jeff.  Too high without the ref sheets.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:19 pm 

I know a 1st print DMG isn't that rare, but I've been watching out for a reasonably priced one:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... amp;ih=002

I had just asked the seller last night to confirm the image was the real thing, and he replied yes. I then check the auction this evening and it was ended :(

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:48 pm 

brute wrote:I know a 1st print DMG isn't that rare, but I've been watching out for a reasonably priced one:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... amp;ih=002

I had just asked the seller last night to confirm the image was the real thing, and he replied yes. I then check the auction this evening and it was ended :(

Did you try messaging him? Since it got no bids, they'd probably be happy selling it to you for whatever price. However, the cover has a nasty scratch on it, so you might want to wait for another.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:05 am 

bombadil wrote:
Don't sweat it, Jeff.  Too high without the ref sheets.   :D

Yes those sour grapes taste good :D

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:33 am 

thehiddenone wrote:

That was a really nice looking set with some extras too.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:22 pm 

zhowar wrote:
Did you try messaging him? Since it got no bids, they'd probably be happy selling it to you for whatever price. However, the cover has a nasty scratch on it, so you might want to wait for another.

No, but the seller had good communication. You're right though, I'll keep looking for a cleaner cover.

Thanks  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:20 pm 

Ahh, BC's quest for that elusive T1st Greyhawk continues.....

*shakes fist at both David and Stephen*

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

Ahh, BC's quest for that elusive T1st Greyhawk continues.....

*shakes fist at both David and Stephen*

Yes, but you did beat thefantasymuseum ... :lol:

Hey David, give Brian a break ... how many do you need?  You are not turning into a cougar are you?  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:26 pm 

While I am shaking my fist at people:

shakes fist at BTB*

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 53123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 515253