the one that got away....
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 53123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 515253
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:04 am 

Howdy,

I once had a guy buy $370 worth of Dragons and then at the end of the auction realized they were Dragons and not Dungeons like he had thought.

He begged for mercy on that one, so I let him off the hook. Mistakes happen.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:15 pm 

5th Alpha White Box:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Really thought I'd nab that one.  I'm consoled only that it went to someone who can appreciate it, and not a rabid newbie after an OCE.  Congrats Paul!

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:16 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:5th Alpha White Box:

Really thought I'd nab that one.  I'm consoled only that it went to someone who can appreciate it, and not a rabid newbie after an OCE.  Congrats Paul!

It went for over $300???  8O

I'll pass....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:21 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:5th Alpha White Box:

I thought you were going to take it as well.  I might have even come to visit to check it out :)  The seller sent me some pictures of the pamphlet if you didn't get them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 pm 

So what the heck happened here:

I mean it certainly wasn't in perfect condition, but I have seen a lot worse looking 1st prints go for a heck of a lot more.  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:00 am 

bclarkie wrote:So what the heck happened here:

I mean it certainly wasn't in perfect condition, but I have seen a lot worse looking 1st prints go for a heck of a lot more.  :?

Yeah, that looks like a pretty nice copy.  Must have been overlooked.  I didn't catch that one.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:32 pm 

I was watching it and simply forgot - then it was gone.. :cry:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:50 pm 

I saw it, but I've already got two.  Can't bid on everything.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:02 pm 

Poor guy (piggfrogg) was probably just cursed by some evil jamaican voodoo witch doctor;(whom he slighted). Don't miss this one:auction

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:04 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:Poor guy (piggfrogg) was probably just cursed by some evil jamaican voodoo witch doctor;(whom he slighted). Don't miss this one:auction

Damn, I am good. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:10 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Damn, I am good. :wink:

why is that :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:39 pm 

Wow, I am surprised this went this cheap:

I saw Stephen's bid on it and just tossed in a small bid overtop to subtly let him know that I knew what he was bidding on.  After I got outbid, I figured it was probably common knowledge what was included within this auction, which apparently I was wrong. :?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:10 pm 

Man, I totally forgot about it!  Damn!

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:28 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Wow, I am surprised this went this cheap:

I saw Stephen's bid on it and just tossed in a small bid overtop to subtly let him know that I knew what he was bidding on.  After I got outbid, I figured it was probably common knowledge what was included within this auction, which apparently I was wrong. :?

Everytime I see one of those box sets in my searches, I check to see if there is a Jade Hare with it.  As I recall, that is the 4th set in the last few years that has had a Jade Hare . . . sure, the owners may have added them in, but I can't help being curious if TSR just shoved some extra Jade Hares into a few of these sets (same time era, some "no cover" module format).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:58 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Everytime I see one of those box sets in my searches, I check to see if there is a Jade Hare with it.  As I recall, that is the 4th set in the last few years that has had a Jade Hare . . . sure, the owners may have added them in, but I can't help being curious if TSR just shoved some extra Jade Hares into a few of these sets (same time era, some "no cover" module format).

No, the reason that they keep popping up with those sets(I just found another one this last week, not this one though :wink: ) is because within this game there was a loose offer sheet inside the set that were meant to be mailed back into to the TSR Hobby Shop to get the free complimentary  "Jade Hare" module.  I figure that because the original offer was included within that set and the fact that it was supposed to be used a supplemental for that set, that they are frequently just dropped in those boxes by the owners when the recieved them by mail.  Additionally, apparently the TSR Hobby Shop at some point(if not from the very begining) had a long delay in mailing them out as I will soon have 2 Jade Hares with an apology letter, apologizing for the delay of the free module.  Someone else(not from here I don't believe) actually sold a Jade Hare a few months ago on Ebay that also included this same apology letter.[/u]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:41 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
No, the reason that they keep popping up with those sets(I just found another one this last week, not this one though :wink: ) is because within this game there was a loose offer sheet inside the set that were meant to be mailed back into to the TSR Hobby Shop to get the free complimentary  "Jade Hare" module.  I figure that because the original offer was included within that set and the fact that it was supposed to be used a supplemental for that set, that they are frequently just dropped in those boxes by the owners when the recieved them by mail.  Additionally, apparently the TSR Hobby Shop at some point(if not from the very begining) had a long delay in mailing them out as I will soon have 2 Jade Hares with an apology letter, apologizing for the delay of the free module.  Someone else(not from here I don't believe) actually sold a Jade Hare a few months ago on Ebay that also included this same apology letter.[/u]

I myself have bought this boxed set at a local HPB and found a Jade Hare inside when I got home...apparantly the practice of including them in the box was pretty widespread. IIRC the box also had a Mail Order Hobby Shop reciept inside...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:22 pm 

Howdy All,

Well, I am going to report this but you should all probably sit down. This won't be easy.

You remember this:

Yeah, well, we blew it. The guy listed it as "2e" because the Acaeum listed a pre-pub (presumably "1e" as far as the seller was concerned). I have confirmed it with the buyer - it is - steady - a 1st print with all three original booklets and - urk - a dated, personal note from Gary Gygax just 9 months after the release of the D&D game. It sold for less than $900. A diamond right before our eyes and mislabled at our own hand. :cry:

Here is the reply (of doom):

"I have determined that it meets all the criteria below and is, in fact, a January 1974 first edition. There was one other earlier version, the Pre-Publication set produced in 1973. The only difference between that one and this one is that the brown boxes were plain with no artwork or stickers. Hope this helps." (he then goes on to quote the Acaeum entry)

Now that has to be THE one that got away for the year! Three cheers to the fellow who won it in plain sight!

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:36 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Well, I am going to report this but you should all probably sit down. This won't be easy.

You remember this:

Yeah, well, we blew it. The guy listed it as "2e" because the Acaeum listed a pre-pub (presumably "1e" as far as the seller was concerned). I have confirmed it with the buyer - it is - steady - a 1st print with all three original booklets and - urk - a dated, personal note from Gary Gygax just 9 months after the release of the D&D game. It sold for less than $900. A diamond right before our eyes and mislabled at our own hand. :cry:

Here is the reply (of doom):

"I have determined that it meets all the criteria below and is, in fact, a January 1974 first edition. There was one other earlier version, the Pre-Publication set produced in 1973. The only difference between that one and this one is that the brown boxes were plain with no artwork or stickers. Hope this helps." (he then goes on to quote the Acaeum entry)

Now that has to be THE one that got away for the year! Three cheers to the fellow who won it in plain sight!

Futures bright,

Paul

Wow!!

Great deal!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 53123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 515253