the one that got away....
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:47 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I'm not going to put this in the Silliest Price thread because I dont think it is that silly.  But it is a bit higher that I would expect.  The box is near mint as is the contents.  But usually these go for about half this price.

Star Frontiers RPG: Science Fiction | eBay

I know someone that has a nice mint SW copy.  I wonder if he will decide to sell his now?  :wink:

Very common item, I have 2 that I got as extras in deals!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:59 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I'm not going to put this in the Silliest Price thread because I dont think it is that silly.  But it is a bit higher that I would expect.  The box is near mint as is the contents.  But usually these go for about half this price.

I know someone that has a nice mint SW copy.  I wonder if he will decide to sell his now?  :wink:

Heh heh heh heh...Price just went WAAAY up!!!! :D  Oh, man, King, you HATED to see this one didn't you???? :twisted:
   I have one of these and King wants it.  Unfortunately, King has made it clear he is going to RIP THE SHRINKWRAP OFF as soon as it gets it home!!!!!!! So I have been vacillating between selling it and not selling it since I would hate for there to be another shrinkless copy in the world....stupid reason, I know, but sometimes I get too attached to some of these items....!
    So if this one goes for $100 are you going to shoot yourself, brother?  :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:38 pm 

It does appear to be in very good condition, but I don't think the two booklets are usually 3-hole-punched.  I'm almost positive mine aren't.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:46 am 

Badmike wrote:

Heh heh heh heh...Price just went WAAAY up!!!! :D  Oh, man, King, you HATED to see this one didn't you???? :twisted:
   I have one of these and King wants it.  Unfortunately, King has made it clear he is going to RIP THE SHRINKWRAP OFF as soon as it gets it home!!!!!!! So I have been vacillating between selling it and not selling it since I would hate for there to be another shrinkless copy in the world....stupid reason, I know, but sometimes I get too attached to some of these items....!
    So if this one goes for $100 are you going to shoot yourself, brother?  :cry:

Mike B.

Mike, I told you the last time I was over that I wasnt going to pressure you about selling it to me anymore.  I just couldnt stand to see you tear up like that when I mentioned pulling off the shrinkwrap.  :twisted:

Just be careful if you decide to put it up on Ebay.  You have a pretty decent benchmark now but I think it was a fluke that it went for what it did.

It does appear to be in very good condition, but I don't think the two booklets are usually 3-hole-punched. I'm almost positive mine aren't.

It may depend on the printing, but the booklets I have came out of the box hole-punched.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:56 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I dont mind getting outbid on stuff from time to time.  I put in a pretty safe bid and wasnt going to go any higher.  But I got outbid by a guy named space-dork.  That really burns.  :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:52 pm 

I can't believe hwo cheap this went:

I had a tracer bid in there and I was going to set a snipe, but since I just acquired one in another auction, I figured that I was wasting my time by putting in a relatively lowball snipe. I guess not:?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:27 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I dont mind getting outbid on stuff from time to time.  I put in a pretty safe bid and wasnt going to go any higher.  But I got outbid by a guy named space-dork.  That really burns.  :P

:P
Hmm; correct me if I'm wrong, but from recent sales the final price seems to have been largely unaffected by whether the copy was a bit of a Dark Star or not...

Rather like that period when it actually seemed to help an OCE sale if the set had been subjected to Deimos's Elemental Damage table, as well as the usual Physical Damage one.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:39 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I can't believe hwo cheap this went:

I had a tracer bid in there and I was going to set a snipe, but since I just acquired one in another auction, I figured that I was wasting my time by putting in a relatively lowball snipe. I guess not:?

Was more interested in the Central Casting...
But definitely not the $120 TUO #8/9 from the same seller; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8826506249 :o

IMO, the current Acaeum listing for Chainmail is confusing owing to ambiguous wording and to be honest the 3rd edition/2nd print spiral bound isn't that rare. The 2nd print stapled is... and I still have an offer on the table to prove the 1st print exists (;)).
Seems to have reflected from last year when people started paying over-the-odds (IMO) for the a few copies of the spiral bound 2nd print (up to around $70-75?, rather than $35-40). Rather doubted that that was sustainable.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:34 am 

Nice win, Frank:  I'd meant to bid on the Jedco Dungeon set and forgot:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Unrelatedly, this seller sold 5 AG scenarios but the bidding was too much for me:  

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:42 am 

grodog wrote:Nice win, Frank:  I'd meant to bid on the Jedco Dungeon set and forgot:

The previous set (untrimmed, full-box photo) went for about AU$20. No-one seemed to want that one, either. :?

=
No joke 'bout the AGs: think I'll stick to the one I picked up last-time around and leave it at that.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:44 am 

faro wrote:The previous set (untrimmed, full-box photo) went for about AU$20. No-one seemed to want that one, either. :?

=
No joke 'bout the AGs: think I'll stick to the one I picked up last-time around and leave it at that.

I was eyeing up the Dungeon set too.  The seller started the auction with a price of $30 then dropped it down to $20 when no one was bidding.  $36+15 shipping was a bit more than I wanted to pay right now, but it looks to be a nice set.  Good one Frank!

Are the metal figures pieces of the game or add ins?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:46 pm 

=>  

Hrmm... we were talking 'bout one of those non-TSR items when discussing TSR "communications", weren't we? And there's a small stack of those 1980-vintage "communications" in there, too.
A bit of a pattern to that, I think.

(Did you help initiate any media PR-blitzes when you arrived at TSR, Frank? ;))

=
Anyhow; has anyone seen any more like these (or know how to spot 'em on eBay listings?!).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:55 pm 

faro wrote:(Did you initiate any media PR-blitzes when you arrived at TSR, Frank?

Only my crusade against "Dr." Thomas Radecki, which I took to at least 3 written pieces followed by my appearance on "Speaking Out" in Toronto.

(And Faro, I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- to see that you let a full 9 seconds go by and didn't rebid on the Walled City Geomorphs.)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:01 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Only my crusade against "Dr." Thomas Radecki, which I took to at least 3 written pieces followed by my appearance on "Speaking Out" in Toronto.

Ah... something I ain't read yet! :)

Is that another ms. or three to flog on the 'Bay, then? ;)
(Or else possibly for public-domain consumption, if that was written on a personal basis?).
ExTSR wrote:(And Faro, I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- to see that you let a full 9 seconds go by and didn't rebid on the Walled City Geomorphs.)

Heh, heh... That was my absolute limit, though.

(I'm very happy that most of my just-failed snipes don't show up on the record!).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:21 am 

The one that got away?  Howabout the TWO?  I lost TWO G1 silver anniversary mods - both to the same fargin sniper-bot - yesterday.

Grr.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:42 pm 

Missed out on a Lost Tamoachan and Ghost Tower lot for $850.00.  I was the second bidder.  The deal fell through with the winner and the seller offered them to me.  I tried to haggle by offering a little less but never heard a response back.  Next I knew the items were back on eBay and sold for about $1200.00.  Still a decent deal at the time but I wish I wouldn't have tried to bargain with the seller...

Lesson learned.

Now I'm still looking for a Lost Tamoachan :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:55 pm 

I would have hand-delivered the cash for $850 a pair.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:33 pm 

Grumble grumble grumble!!!

eBay.com Item Bid History

:?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext