the one that got away....
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:40 pm 

Deogolf wrote:Let me first, and foremost, apologize to King and everyone else I may have offended. That wasn't my intention - done out of frustration, my bad!  I hate sniping, always will. I'll probably never do it either - yes, frustration!!

That is very honourable of you.  

(by the way - you aren't the Deogolf who bids on ebay are you...)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:03 pm 

Deogolf wrote:You'll get no more eye rolls!!  :D

Let me first, and foremost, apologize to King and everyone else I may have offended. That wasn't my intention - done out of frustration, my bad!  I hate sniping, always will. I'll probably never do it either - yes, frustration!!

So, again, accept my apologies!

I've been lurking around these forums for some time and have enjoyed reading them and gathering other bits of info I didn't know before about certain items. Heck, I think I may have won some auctions by some of you (i.e. BTB, bclarkie, et al.).

So, keep up the good work! I bury the hatchet!!

No offense man.  Everyone gets worked up over things they cant control.  I cant tell you how many times I have been sniped at the last second on something I really wanted.  Sure I would be a bit ticked at first but I would eventually get what I wanted.  Usually cheaper and in better condition too!  :D

Consider the hatchet, battle axe, glaive, guisarme....whatever you prefer, buried.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:39 pm 

Deogolf, you should never apologize for stating your opinion.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:07 pm 

Signed Glorantha MS

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEWA:IT

I'm really pissed at having missed this. Just wasn't watching my screen.  :(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:14 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Signed Glorantha MS

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEWA:IT

I'm really pissed at having missed this. Just wasn't watching my screen.  :(

It was a photocopy of the MS that had been signed not an original copy. Hope that lessens the bite some.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:22 pm 

red_bus wrote:
Deogolf wrote:Let me first, and foremost, apologize to King and everyone else I may have offended. That wasn't my intention - done out of frustration, my bad!  I hate sniping, always will. I'll probably never do it either - yes, frustration!!

That is very honourable of you.  

(by the way - you aren't the Deogolf who bids on ebay are you...)

I'm not sure who else it would be really. Actually, I go by Deogolfenchanter. It was the PC's name I used while playtesting Gary
Gygax's Hall of Many Panes a couple of years ago. So, maybe yes, maybe no.  I'll have to check that out!

Just checked - no, that isn't moi! Somebody from Georgia. I'm in Milwaukee, WI. I get to bug Rob Kuntz from time-to-time!!  :D

Eulaliaaa!!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:32 pm 

First off...Hello my name is Bryan...and I snipe  :oops: . That out of the way I used to not snipe and paid too much way to often. I then used to manually snipe...paid less and got a lot less sleep. Now I use BidNip, thanks BtB I think it was that suggested it, and now I get almost enough sleep and pay less.  :D

With that being said I would not be upset if eBay added an auction function where if there was a bid within 1 minute of the close it would extend the auction for a specified period of time. I would think this would need to be clearly indicated and perhaps a pay feature as it would in the end net the seller more money. :idea:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:38 pm 

We already went thru that. An auction could go on forever under those circumstances. No point in it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:49 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:We already went thru that. An auction could go on forever under those circumstances. No point in it.

Sorry too busy setting snipes to read the whole thread....just kidding. I can see that but the seller could specify a second limit be it time or number of extensions. They could also end it at any time accepting the bid that was currently the high bid as the closing bid. Or eBay could just offer (if they do already please fogive my not knowing this and perhaps bringing up an already beat horse) live auctions and then that would have the same effect. Me I do not see an issue with snipes. If you want something place a normal bid that is high enough it makes the snipes ineffective. That means you are going to have to pay a premium though.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:46 pm 

I was just wondering if anyone knows if Ebay actuallys owns any of the sniping companies?  

It just seems to me that with owning Ebay and Paypal they should also have their own company, maybe Ebid, that will bid for you so they can take another percentage.  Makes good business sense to me.  Then they could adjust their Ebay software to only interface it to work with Ebid and monopolize that market too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:55 pm 

Marlith wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:We already went thru that. An auction could go on forever under those circumstances. No point in it.

Sorry too busy setting snipes to read the whole thread....just kidding. I can see that but the seller could specify a second limit be it time or number of extensions. They could also end it at any time accepting the bid that was currently the high bid as the closing bid. Or eBay could just offer (if they do already please fogive my not knowing this and perhaps bringing up an already beat horse) live auctions and then that would have the same effect. Me I do not see an issue with snipes. If you want something place a normal bid that is high enough it makes the snipes ineffective. That means you are going to have to pay a premium though.

I could see something like the person having one chance final bid or five minutes which ever comes first.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:23 pm 

Then you want to be bidding over at Amazon, which extends auctions by 10 minutes if any bids are placed in the final 10 minutes. Of course, we all know how well Amazon has done with auctions, too ...

Otherwise, you're just wanting eBay to be something it's not — it's not a live auction site, and, to its credit, has never pretended to be one. Ending times for any eBay auction are very clearly displayed, and the system works the same for both snipers and wishful thinkers ... whoops, I mean, non-snipers.

Again, to win items on eBay, just place higher bids.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:39 pm 

Marlith wrote:First off...Hello my name is Bryan...and I snipe  :oops: . That out of the way I used to not snipe and paid too much way to often. I then used to manually snipe...paid less and got a lot less sleep. Now I use BidNip, thanks BtB I think it was that suggested it, and now I get almost enough sleep and pay less.  :D

With that being said I would not be upset if eBay added an auction function where if there was a bid within 1 minute of the close it would extend the auction for a specified period of time. I would think this would need to be clearly indicated and perhaps a pay feature as it would in the end net the seller more money. :idea:

Dang it, Marlith!  Couldn't you have waited a few more months to start sniping?  :)

I had that Thieves Guild set down cold.  But then a dude named something like "mishra77" (or something like that) had me square in his sights...a classic 5 second killshot!  

I felt like that German sniper in Saving Private Ryan.  POW! Shot me right through my own scope!   :x

Actually, there is a certain amount of excitement in sniping and counter-sniping.  Sizing up the competition...Figuring the right dollar amount to psyche-out the other snipers...Calculating the best moment to fire...and...then...the SHOT!  

( just found the colored text function, by the way)

I get all of the excitement of the hunt and the one-shot kill.....and being out-sniped isn't so bad because sometimes it saves me from myself.  :?

Today, I got out-sniped four times.  It was all good, clean fun and it cost me nothing.  It's almost like a new way to enjoy gaming.

(I sound enthusiastic, don't I?)

Guys who complain about snipers and refuse to snipe are like trophy deer who refuse to hide. KA-BLAM!  Another head on the wall...er...I mean...hooray, I won Dungeon #30!

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:42 pm 

Mars wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knows if Ebay actuallys owns any of the sniping companies?  

It just seems to me that with owning Ebay and Paypal they should also have their own company, maybe Ebid, that will bid for you so they can take another percentage.  Makes good business sense to me.  Then they could adjust their Ebay software to only interface it to work with Ebid and monopolize that market too.

IF I were Ebay I would try to prohibit sniping.  It limits impulse buying and keeps prices down.

But, if I were Ebay, and I couldn't prevent sniping, then I would have my own sniper company called "EbayBeater."  Our slogan would be, "Helping The Little Guy Stick It to Ebay."   :lol:

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:42 am 

Sniping, in fact, might be raising prices. People who usually wouldn't wait up till 2 AM to bid on an item can now snipe it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:33 am 

All the evidence I have seen seems to show that prices are increasing. Over the past two years the price of the JG rares has almost doubles in some cases, and the non-TSR rares and uncommons are seriously going up in price. Its also not unknown for certain TSR items to top $2000.

The only reason I can think why anyone would complain about sniping would be that they couldn't be arsed being there for the end of the auction. It would be like someone leaving a bid on the books at an auction house and then complaining that people in the hall were allowed to bid at the time of the auction.

Sniping is the only fair way to handle online auctions. Maybe eBay should allow people to watch items but only accept bids in the last 5 minutes of the auction.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:36 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:All the evidence I have seen seems to show that prices are increasing. Over the past two years the price of the JG rares has almost doubles in some cases, and the non-TSR rares and uncommons are seriously going up in price. Its also not unknown for certain TSR items to top $2000.

Well, a good chunk of the non-TSR price increases can be laid at your doorstep, Ian :P :P  Seren Ironhand used to sell for $25-35, for example.  It doesn't go for less than $50-60 now....

As a manual sniper, I've learned to live with being beaten out on items I want, which is fine because in most cases they'll come up on eBay again some other time, and perhaps the price'll be cheaper.  Patience is the key to finding the items you want at the prices you want; I think Seren Ironhand is the only book that I bought recently that feel like I paid more than I wanted to, but I didn't really have a choice anymore.  I was able to find Calthonwey, Booty & the Beasts, Outdoor Geos, etc., etc. on the cheap by waiting for the right price, and then getting lucky.  I certainly got outbid in many cases during that process, but eventually something came through.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:03 am 

grodog wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:All the evidence I have seen seems to show that prices are increasing. Over the past two years the price of the JG rares has almost doubles in some cases, and the non-TSR rares and uncommons are seriously going up in price. Its also not unknown for certain TSR items to top $2000.

Well, a good chunk of the non-TSR price increases can be laid at your doorstep, Ian :P :P  Seren Ironhand used to sell for $25-35, for example.  It doesn't go for less than $50-60 now....

As a manual sniper, I've learned to live with being beaten out on items I want, which is fine because in most cases they'll come up on eBay again some other time, and perhaps the price'll be cheaper.  Patience is the key to finding the items you want at the prices you want; I think Seren Ironhand is the only book that I bought recently that feel like I paid more than I wanted to, but I didn't really have a choice anymore.  I was able to find Calthonwey, Booty & the Beasts, Outdoor Geos, etc., etc. on the cheap by waiting for the right price, and then getting lucky.  I certainly got outbid in many cases during that process, but eventually something came through.

Atlas Shrugged First Printing | eBay

Too bad about that Star Probe eh Allan?  I thought about putting a bid on it but then decided not to.  Ended up having to go buy a new hot water heater instead.  :roll:

PreviousNext