the one that got away....
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 52123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 505152
Author


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5717
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2022
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 am 
 

Thanks David :)


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:46 pm 
 

Damnit!  :x

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I was all set to put in a last second bid and I accidentally hit the home button instead of refresh.  Stupid Microsoft and their "user friendly" Internet Explorer.  Don't put the buttons so close together next time Bill.  :twisted:

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5666
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Aug 05, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:53 pm 
 

Snipe. Can't say it enough.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1888
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2022
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:55 pm 
 

Um, if I were you I'd've had a $20 bid in early, and only resorted to sniping if I had ta... unpunched WoW, sheesh...

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 321
Joined: Apr 07, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2018

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:27 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Damnit!  :x

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I was all set to put in a last second bid and I accidentally hit the home button instead of refresh.  Stupid Microsoft and their "user friendly" Internet Explorer.  Don't put the buttons so close together next time Bill.  :twisted:


I know I won't make friends for saying this, but "Serves you right!".

Man, I hate Ebayers who snipe! I've gotten sniped so many GD times it makes me want to spit! I really wish they wouldn't call it an auction when it really isn't - it's a snipe hunt! Have some balls and make a bid like you should - give the person a chance to make a counter-offer! I know its a pipe dream, but I can dream!


Eulaliaaa!!!

 WWW  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:41 pm 
 

^^^ :?

Try bidding higher.

There's not a different set of eBay rules for snipers, you know. The high bidder still wins the item, whether the bid comes in the first 10 seconds or last 10 seconds of an auction.

Any time you lose a legitimate auction (by which I mean there was no shilling or any other funny business), it means someone else was willing to pay more than you were. The method by which you lost is totally unimportant; your bid just wasn't high enough.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:45 pm 
 

Deogolf wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Damnit!  :x

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I was all set to put in a last second bid and I accidentally hit the home button instead of refresh.  Stupid Microsoft and their "user friendly" Internet Explorer.  Don't put the buttons so close together next time Bill.  :twisted:


I know I won't make friends for saying this, but "Serves you right!".

Man, I hate Ebayers who snipe! I've gotten sniped so many GD times it makes me want to spit! I really wish they wouldn't call it an auction when it really isn't - it's a snipe hunt! Have some balls and make a bid like you should - give the person a chance to make a counter-offer! I know its a pipe dream, but I can dream!


Bidding on Ebay is just as much a game as playing Monopoly.  Sometimes you start buying up the cheap properties right off the bat and sometimes you wait for the good stuff.  Sometimes it backfires and other times it pays off.  When you spend your time in an Ebay niche like most of the people on this forum do, you get to know who bids on what.  If I put in a bid on something I really want with 6 days to go, odds are there are quite a few people that will notice the auction just because they are searching for what I am bidding on.

Sometimes I do bid on stuff right off the bat, other times I wait until the last second.  Depends on a lot of factors.

If you dont like the way Ebay works, go start your own auction site.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 321
Joined: Apr 07, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2018

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:00 am 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:^^^ :?

Try bidding higher.

There's not a different set of eBay rules for snipers, you know. The high bidder still wins the item, whether the bid comes in the first 10 seconds or last 10 seconds of an auction.

Any time you lose a legitimate auction (by which I mean there was no shilling or any other funny business), it means someone else was willing to pay more than you were. The method by which you lost is totally unimportant; your bid just wasn't high enough.


I would disagree! No surprise there!

I think the method is very important. In a "real" auction, a person makes a bid and, if any others are interested,  they will make a counter-offer and so on! In Ebay, a person may make a bid, but some @#$% will come in at the last second and make a snipe! Granted you can put in a high bid that will automatically kick it to counter; but , let's face it, if we can get something for less, we'll try for it. But, for someone to come in at the last second, to me (FWIW) it just seems ethically wrong!

And, if I had the resources to start my own auction site, I probably would.  And, yes, there should be rules on sniping. Why? Because its wrong. I know you guys won't agree and that's OK, I guess. I've been involved in well over 500-600 transactions, both buying and selling, so I've seen it from both sides - still don't like it!


Eulaliaaa!!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5666
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Aug 05, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:11 am 
 

Life is unfair.
Since you can't prevent sniping, you might as well use it yourself. Only a fool refuses to use any weapon necessary to defeat his opponent. Whether you are morally correct or not is irrelevant. In the end, he who uses the best method wins. If your intent is to win, start sniping. If it is to win by moral means, prepare to accept the consequences.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:12 am 
 

Deogolf wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:^^^ :?

Try bidding higher.

There's not a different set of eBay rules for snipers, you know. The high bidder still wins the item, whether the bid comes in the first 10 seconds or last 10 seconds of an auction.

Any time you lose a legitimate auction (by which I mean there was no shilling or any other funny business), it means someone else was willing to pay more than you were. The method by which you lost is totally unimportant; your bid just wasn't high enough.


I would disagree! No surprise there!

I think the method is very important. In a "real" auction, a person makes a bid and, if any others are interested,  they will make a counter-offer and so on! In Ebay, a person may make a bid, but some @#$% will come in at the last second and make a snipe! Granted you can put in a high bid that will automatically kick it to counter; but , let's face it, if we can get something for less, we'll try for it. But, for someone to come in at the last second, to me (FWIW) it just seems ethically wrong!

And, if I had the resources to start my own auction site, I probably would.  And, yes, there should be rules on sniping. Why? Because its wrong. I know you guys won't agree and that's OK, I guess. I've been involved in well over 500-600 transactions, both buying and selling, so I've seen it from both sides - still don't like it!


First off, Ebay auctions are more like silent auctions.  No one knows exactly who is bidding what amount so once everyone puts their bids in it is simply a matter of who bids the highest.  Doesnt matter what time during the auction it happens as long as the bid is in before the end of the auction.

Second, how do you propose Ebay preventing people from sniping?  There is no way to do it....it wouldnt be fair to anyone.  Let me ask you this.  You state that you have been involved in over 500 transactions some of which are as a seller.  Since your ethics on the matter are so pertinent, if a buyer wins one of your auctions on a snipe...do you tell him that because you disagree with the way he won the auction that you arent going to sell to him?

Hell I would love to get some high priced items for next to nothing.  If I could get RPGA 1-4 for $50 I would jump at the opportunity.  But we both know that it is an unrealistic possibility.  If you want something bad enough there is no difference than putting in a $500 bid with 6 days to go than putting in the same bid with 6 seconds to go.  It all boils down to who wants it the most...which is exactly what happens at live auctions.

I normally enjoy civil conversation and debate.  I try not to lose my temper with issues such as this.  But telling someone on a message board that they need to grow a set of balls because their view on something differs from your own and then basically badmouthing anyone that snipes on an Ebay auction is downright immature and frankly its pretty stupid.

Agree or disagree I really dont care.  But if you want to whine and complain please go somewhere else.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:48 am 
 

Is it "complain about sniping" week already?  I thought I might miss it this year.   Get over it, that's my advice.  It's not going anywhere.

(For the opposing argument, please read my early Acaeum post):

acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8224&a ... iping#8224

Funny how we change in a year and a half.  :lol:

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 321
Joined: Apr 07, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2018

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:25 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Deogolf wrote:
I would disagree! No surprise there!

I think the method is very important. In a "real" auction, a person makes a bid and, if any others are interested,  they will make a counter-offer and so on! In Ebay, a person may make a bid, but some @#$% will come in at the last second and make a snipe! Granted you can put in a high bid that will automatically kick it to counter; but , let's face it, if we can get something for less, we'll try for it. But, for someone to come in at the last second, to me (FWIW) it just seems ethically wrong!

And, if I had the resources to start my own auction site, I probably would.  And, yes, there should be rules on sniping. Why? Because its wrong. I know you guys won't agree and that's OK, I guess. I've been involved in well over 500-600 transactions, both buying and selling, so I've seen it from both sides - still don't like it!


First off, Ebay auctions are more like silent auctions.  No one knows exactly who is bidding what amount so once everyone puts their bids in it is simply a matter of who bids the highest.  Doesnt matter what time during the auction it happens as long as the bid is in before the end of the auction.

Second, how do you propose Ebay preventing people from sniping?  There is no way to do it....it wouldnt be fair to anyone.  Let me ask you this.  You state that you have been involved in over 500 transactions some of which are as a seller.  Since your ethics on the matter are so pertinent, if a buyer wins one of your auctions on a snipe...do you tell him that because you disagree with the way he won the auction that you arent going to sell to him?

Hell I would love to get some high priced items for next to nothing.  If I could get RPGA 1-4 for $50 I would jump at the opportunity.  But we both know that it is an unrealistic possibility.  If you want something bad enough there is no difference than putting in a $500 bid with 6 days to go than putting in the same bid with 6 seconds to go.  It all boils down to who wants it the most...which is exactly what happens at live auctions.

I normally enjoy civil conversation and debate.  I try not to lose my temper with issues such as this.  But telling someone on a message board that they need to grow a set of balls because their view on something differs from your own and then basically badmouthing anyone that snipes on an Ebay auction is downright immature and frankly its pretty stupid.

Agree or disagree I really dont care.  But if you want to whine and complain please go somewhere else.


Sigh... :roll:


Eulaliaaa!!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:38 pm 
 

Deogolf - I'd like to try and give you an answer that you won't roll your eyes at.   :)

The problem is that you expect eBay to be something that it isn't.  Because it's an "auction" site, it seems like it should have auction rules.  In reality, it has it's own rules - the primary one being that there is a set time limit.

Whenever there is a competition with a time limit, certain "special" circumstances happen.  There are loopholes and ways to manipulate the time.  Just think of football and all the intricacies of the last few minutes.  Onside kicks, quarterback spikes, incomplete passes stopping the clock, etc.  In Basketball the "losing" team can foul the opponent to give them free throws (but not take time off the clock).

The point is that the time limit creates special circumstances and ebay's is that sniping is enabled.  It is not a bad thing . . . it's just how it is.  As Deadlord mentioned - only a fool would compete and ignore his advantages.  That is not to say that you have to snipe . . . but you should accept it and that there is nothing wrong with it.  As long as you feel that ebay's rules should be your own, then you are going to be disappointed.


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:10 pm 
 

Deogolf wrote:but , let's face it, if we can get something for less, we'll try for it.

Wow, thanks for the easy set-up ...

Trying to "get something for less" (specifically, by avoiding a bidding war) is EXACTLY why people snipe.

I'm ready for my rolly-eyes now.

 WWW  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2783
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Aug 10, 2022
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:23 pm 
 

Deogolf wrote:
I know I won't make friends for saying this, but "Serves you right!".


:lol:  :lol:
I have just logged on to read all this.  

Man you are dead right Deogulf.  Not exactly the fastest way to make friends.  The 'ethics' and also the efficacy of sniping has been debated here again and again.  I think people here are being quite nice to you considering your postings so far.  Welcome to the site - I hope you find your time here useful.


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 321
Joined: Apr 07, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2018

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:27 pm 
 

You'll get no more eye rolls!!  :D

Let me first, and foremost, apologize to King and everyone else I may have offended. That wasn't my intention - done out of frustration, my bad!  I hate sniping, always will. I'll probably never do it either - yes, frustration!!

So, again, accept my apologies!

I've been lurking around these forums for some time and have enjoyed reading them and gathering other bits of info I didn't know before about certain items. Heck, I think I may have won some auctions by some of you (i.e. BTB, bclarkie, et al.).

So, keep up the good work! I bury the hatchet!!

Oh, if your interested or haven't seen it yet. Rob Kuntz has stated that the first adventure he would like to release that is 1ed AD&D compatible is "CAIRN OF THE SKELETON KING".  If you know anyone who might be interested, mosey on over to the Dragonsfoot Forum and cast of vote. The link is here: Dragonsfoot • View topic - Would you buy new 1E compatible material by Rob Kuntz?

Thanks, again!


Eulaliaaa!!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3596
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Aug 10, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:28 pm 
 

red_bus wrote:
Deogolf wrote:
I know I won't make friends for saying this, but "Serves you right!".


:lol:  :lol:
I have just logged on to read all this.  

Man you are dead right Deogulf.  Not exactly the fastest way to make friends.  The 'ethics' and also the efficacy of sniping has been debated here again and again.  I think people here are being quite nice to you considering your postings so far.  Welcome to the site - I hope you find your time here useful.


It seems if you don't snipe you will loose out on cool items or end up paying way more than you expected.

J


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:34 pm 
 

The sniping issue really is one of what I like to call the Five Great eBay Debates. There will always be disagreement on these subjects ... I've often thought of starting an [OT] thread to discuss them. I bet we'd get some righteous debates ... :)

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 52123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 505152