the one that got away....
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:56 pm 

faro wrote:Interesting! Now I know the second one to look for.

I told you that awhile ago, David---did the PM disappear from your inbox during your hiatus?

faro wrote:You told me you had the first though, Allan; hence the previous copy ending up with Brian instead. What's up with that?

I have the text, so it's not super-high on my list of stuff to buy any longer, which I why I passed on the one for Brian.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:07 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I frickin' hate when stuff like that happens.  I was playing a computer game one night and momentarily forgot how to tell time.  I quit my game so I could put a last second bid on this sucker:
A Song of Ice and Fire RPG | eBay
Found out I was 3 minutes late.  I was super-duper pissed for a couple of minutes.  So I just picked up this one instead:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
Had to pay about $20 more for it, but at least I dont have to make Badmike cringe when I told him I took it out of the shrink.  :D

If it makes you feel a little better - hamilcar's stuff I have found can be a little bit bashed around from storage.  Nothing too bad but sometimes just a little worn.  You were better off with your second one.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:25 am 

Same experience here with hamilcar's stuff.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:28 am 

Ditto

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:15 am 

Nice win Paul:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEDW:IT

The last one of these that came up on eBay was 7 sheets IIRC, and again IIRC no one on the board won them---I happened to be away from my PC when they ended, so they went for $19 or so IIRC.  Le sigh....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:30 am 

grodog wrote:The last one of these that came up on eBay was 7 sheets IIRC, and again IIRC no one on the board won them---I happened to be away from my PC when they ended, so they went for $19 or so IIRC.  Le sigh....

Sounds about right, that.

*dodges slings and arrows from Paul* ;)
(OK, let's just say you also won one of my top few wishlist items from Tim's list - and it's a variant to that currently shown on The Acaeum pages. Neat...).

=

Next time you're planning on being away, Allan, let me know to place a snipe and I'll send a couple of freebie sheets over!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 am 

Thanks David :)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:46 pm 

Damnit!  :x

I was all set to put in a last second bid and I accidentally hit the home button instead of refresh.  Stupid Microsoft and their "user friendly" Internet Explorer.  Don't put the buttons so close together next time Bill.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:53 pm 

Snipe. Can't say it enough.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:55 pm 

Um, if I were you I'd've had a $20 bid in early, and only resorted to sniping if I had ta... unpunched WoW, sheesh...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:27 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Damnit!  :x

I was all set to put in a last second bid and I accidentally hit the home button instead of refresh.  Stupid Microsoft and their "user friendly" Internet Explorer.  Don't put the buttons so close together next time Bill.  :twisted:

I know I won't make friends for saying this, but "Serves you right!".

Man, I hate Ebayers who snipe! I've gotten sniped so many GD times it makes me want to spit! I really wish they wouldn't call it an auction when it really isn't - it's a snipe hunt! Have some balls and make a bid like you should - give the person a chance to make a counter-offer! I know its a pipe dream, but I can dream!

Eulaliaaa!!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:41 pm 

^^^ :?

Try bidding higher.

There's not a different set of eBay rules for snipers, you know. The high bidder still wins the item, whether the bid comes in the first 10 seconds or last 10 seconds of an auction.

Any time you lose a legitimate auction (by which I mean there was no shilling or any other funny business), it means someone else was willing to pay more than you were. The method by which you lost is totally unimportant; your bid just wasn't high enough.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:45 pm 

Deogolf wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Damnit!  :x

I know I won't make friends for saying this, but "Serves you right!".

Man, I hate Ebayers who snipe! I've gotten sniped so many GD times it makes me want to spit! I really wish they wouldn't call it an auction when it really isn't - it's a snipe hunt! Have some balls and make a bid like you should - give the person a chance to make a counter-offer! I know its a pipe dream, but I can dream!

Bidding on Ebay is just as much a game as playing Monopoly.  Sometimes you start buying up the cheap properties right off the bat and sometimes you wait for the good stuff.  Sometimes it backfires and other times it pays off.  When you spend your time in an Ebay niche like most of the people on this forum do, you get to know who bids on what.  If I put in a bid on something I really want with 6 days to go, odds are there are quite a few people that will notice the auction just because they are searching for what I am bidding on.

Sometimes I do bid on stuff right off the bat, other times I wait until the last second.  Depends on a lot of factors.

If you dont like the way Ebay works, go start your own auction site.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:00 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:^^^ :?

Try bidding higher.

There's not a different set of eBay rules for snipers, you know. The high bidder still wins the item, whether the bid comes in the first 10 seconds or last 10 seconds of an auction.

Any time you lose a legitimate auction (by which I mean there was no shilling or any other funny business), it means someone else was willing to pay more than you were. The method by which you lost is totally unimportant; your bid just wasn't high enough.

I would disagree! No surprise there!

I think the method is very important. In a "real" auction, a person makes a bid and, if any others are interested,  they will make a counter-offer and so on! In Ebay, a person may make a bid, but some @#$% will come in at the last second and make a snipe! Granted you can put in a high bid that will automatically kick it to counter; but , let's face it, if we can get something for less, we'll try for it. But, for someone to come in at the last second, to me (FWIW) it just seems ethically wrong!

And, if I had the resources to start my own auction site, I probably would.  And, yes, there should be rules on sniping. Why? Because its wrong. I know you guys won't agree and that's OK, I guess. I've been involved in well over 500-600 transactions, both buying and selling, so I've seen it from both sides - still don't like it!

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:11 am 

Life is unfair.
Since you can't prevent sniping, you might as well use it yourself. Only a fool refuses to use any weapon necessary to defeat his opponent. Whether you are morally correct or not is irrelevant. In the end, he who uses the best method wins. If your intent is to win, start sniping. If it is to win by moral means, prepare to accept the consequences.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:12 am 

Deogolf wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:^^^ :?

Try bidding higher.

I think the method is very important. In a "real" auction, a person makes a bid and, if any others are interested,  they will make a counter-offer and so on! In Ebay, a person may make a bid, but some @#$% will come in at the last second and make a snipe! Granted you can put in a high bid that will automatically kick it to counter; but , let's face it, if we can get something for less, we'll try for it. But, for someone to come in at the last second, to me (FWIW) it just seems ethically wrong!

And, if I had the resources to start my own auction site, I probably would.  And, yes, there should be rules on sniping. Why? Because its wrong. I know you guys won't agree and that's OK, I guess. I've been involved in well over 500-600 transactions, both buying and selling, so I've seen it from both sides - still don't like it!

First off, Ebay auctions are more like silent auctions.  No one knows exactly who is bidding what amount so once everyone puts their bids in it is simply a matter of who bids the highest.  Doesnt matter what time during the auction it happens as long as the bid is in before the end of the auction.

Second, how do you propose Ebay preventing people from sniping?  There is no way to do it....it wouldnt be fair to anyone.  Let me ask you this.  You state that you have been involved in over 500 transactions some of which are as a seller.  Since your ethics on the matter are so pertinent, if a buyer wins one of your auctions on a snipe...do you tell him that because you disagree with the way he won the auction that you arent going to sell to him?

Hell I would love to get some high priced items for next to nothing.  If I could get RPGA 1-4 for $50 I would jump at the opportunity.  But we both know that it is an unrealistic possibility.  If you want something bad enough there is no difference than putting in a $500 bid with 6 days to go than putting in the same bid with 6 seconds to go.  It all boils down to who wants it the most...which is exactly what happens at live auctions.

I normally enjoy civil conversation and debate.  I try not to lose my temper with issues such as this.  But telling someone on a message board that they need to grow a set of balls because their view on something differs from your own and then basically badmouthing anyone that snipes on an Ebay auction is downright immature and frankly its pretty stupid.

Agree or disagree I really dont care.  But if you want to whine and complain please go somewhere else.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:48 am 

Is it "complain about sniping" week already?  I thought I might miss it this year.   Get over it, that's my advice.  It's not going anywhere.

(For the opposing argument, please read my early Acaeum post):

acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8224&a ... iping#8224

Funny how we change in a year and a half.  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:25 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Deogolf wrote:

First off, Ebay auctions are more like silent auctions.  No one knows exactly who is bidding what amount so once everyone puts their bids in it is simply a matter of who bids the highest.  Doesnt matter what time during the auction it happens as long as the bid is in before the end of the auction.

Second, how do you propose Ebay preventing people from sniping?  There is no way to do it....it wouldnt be fair to anyone.  Let me ask you this.  You state that you have been involved in over 500 transactions some of which are as a seller.  Since your ethics on the matter are so pertinent, if a buyer wins one of your auctions on a snipe...do you tell him that because you disagree with the way he won the auction that you arent going to sell to him?

Hell I would love to get some high priced items for next to nothing.  If I could get RPGA 1-4 for $50 I would jump at the opportunity.  But we both know that it is an unrealistic possibility.  If you want something bad enough there is no difference than putting in a $500 bid with 6 days to go than putting in the same bid with 6 seconds to go.  It all boils down to who wants it the most...which is exactly what happens at live auctions.

I normally enjoy civil conversation and debate.  I try not to lose my temper with issues such as this.  But telling someone on a message board that they need to grow a set of balls because their view on something differs from your own and then basically badmouthing anyone that snipes on an Ebay auction is downright immature and frankly its pretty stupid.

Agree or disagree I really dont care.  But if you want to whine and complain please go somewhere else.

Sigh... :roll:

Eulaliaaa!!!

PreviousNext