Show me US DOLLARS please....
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:40 pm 

Some auctions on E-Bay list foreign money as the current price. I have little problems with people listing their auctions in their own currency, but it sometimes causes me no end of anguish trying to decide whether or not 5 rubles equals thousands of US dollars, or is it 50 cents? :?

I am a simple man, not a banker, nor an international buyer/seller, and I don't have time to find one either. Most of my bankers won't return my calls for my own bank accounts anyway. My time on E-Bay is limited to short breaks during the day, and sometimes in the evenings, or short burts on the weekends.

Surely there is some way to set up E-Bay listings to show the current bid in US Dollars (Or whatever currency YOU are familiar with) instead of foreign prices.

Some help please? :oops:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:47 pm 

eBay listings

Now, see the "Customize (sic.) Display" link on the right?  Use this then under the "Column Settings Display" tick the "Convert prices to US $" box.

Hope it works.  :wink:

And sorry about the size of the URL.  :oops:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:12 pm 

This site has daily exchange rates in any currency:

XE Currency Converter - Live Rates

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:14 pm 

The best approach is just to accidentally bid pounds sterling as if they were dollars.  Your wife won't like it, but you'll be amazed how much you win.
:lol:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:40 pm 

johnhuck,

I now offically forgive you for all the auctions you have beaten me out of. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Up to this point anyway. Next time were back at odds again. ;-)

It worked much better than the darkseraphim plan would have.

She does not even know about some of the things I bid on, if I were to bid nearly twice as much and win more items, she would likely notice the huge dent in the bank account and the increased number of packages and boxes coming in the mail. I would have been skewerd in my sleep....

invincibleoverlord, thanks for the link, I have saved it in my favorites, for when I forget johnhucks helpful note.... should not be too long now....

Ummm.. what was I saying?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:46 pm 

John wrote:

And sorry about the size of the URL.

Is that whats going on here? I've been fooling with the computer for 10 minutes LOL :D

I need to get a new monitor 36" wide  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:54 pm 

Yankee Imperialist.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:16 pm 

nn wrote:Yankee Imperialist.

I'd take that as a compliment :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:34 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
She does not even know about some of the things I bid on, if I were to bid nearly twice as much and win more items, she would likely notice the huge dent in the bank account and the increased number of packages and boxes coming in the mail. I would have been skewerd in my sleep....

Separate bank accounts + separate PO Box for goodies=== Marriage Saver.

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:51 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:John wrote:

And sorry about the size of the URL.

Is that whats going on here? I've been fooling with the computer for 10 minutes LOL :D

I need to get a new monitor 36" wide  :lol:

:oops:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:35 am 

Badmike,

Great advise, but I am already doing that. I insisted on keeping a separate bank account for things such as this BEFORE we married. Still, she does read the mail and sees how much of our grandkids inheritance I am spending on crap (Her words, not mine).

Additionally, I have the items sent to me at work. Mostly due to fears of the postal employee placing the items in the mailbox, even if they have to bend it in half!!!!!!  8O

Yes, it has happened to me.  :evil: I had a particularly rare (And expensive) module sent to my home address, and for some unknown reason the seller had sent it in a unpadded priority mail envelope, which the postal employee folded to make it fit in the mailbox, much like they do my magazines.    :cry:

When the module was on-line, it was near mint, now it is POOR at best with a terminally horrible crease right down the middle of the cover, front and rear!!!

I did not blame the postal employee, as it was not their fault in the least. I wrote the seller and insisted on getting my money back. They said not only no but he77 no!!  :x  :x Saying that the module they sent was near mint and that I likely had another module that was already bent and was trying to SCAM THEM!!!

Needless to say I gave the seller a negative feedback. After spending nearly 20 bucks on insurance and shipping costs, the JERK sent it in an unpadded envelope. (The total Postage costs w/ins. was about 4-5 bucks....)

Now, I insist (Or at least I try to anyway) on having all items sent to my work address whenever possible. Of course some refuse this request saying that the items delivery cannot be confirmed if the item is not send to the payers registered Credit Card Address...(Paypal regs) Whatever, those rules can be bent, the sellers who refuse to do so simply do not want to bother with it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:05 am 

I find that the easiest way to convert to US Dollars is to go to the url and change ebay.co.uk to ebay.com.  That changes the price to dollars and loads the auction again.