Newbie questions on shipping
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:08 pm 

As a considerate seller, yet non-collector individual, I have a question for you learned gentlemen (and women?) regarding shipping.

I'm about to list a tiny forkload of stuff on ebay ranging from single boxsets and modules to collections of 20 dragon magazines and a small bundle of hardbacks.

How should I pack them for shipping? How would you as collectors like to receive them? What is the best way to buy the appropriate packing supplies?

The first things I'm putting up will be my Dragon magazines, sold in 6 lots of 20-ish magazines. None are presently bagged, one lot is in the original brown paper mailing thingys. Would an appropriately sized box with the magazines placed inside with some peanuts to fill in the gaps be all that's required?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jase

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:46 pm 

jase_philip wrote:As a considerate seller, yet non-collector individual, I have a question for you learned gentlemen (and women?) regarding shipping.

I'm about to list a tiny forkload of stuff on ebay ranging from single boxsets and modules to collections of 20 dragon magazines and a small bundle of hardbacks.

How should I pack them for shipping? How would you as collectors like to receive them? What is the best way to buy the appropriate packing supplies?

The first things I'm putting up will be my Dragon magazines, sold in 6 lots of 20-ish magazines. None are presently bagged, one lot is in the original brown paper mailing thingys. Would an appropriately sized box with the magazines placed inside with some peanuts to fill in the gaps be all that's required?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jase

If you can, place the individual mags and modules inside polythene magazine bags...if the cost is too much (about $6-$8 for 100 bags), then at the least wrap the bundle inside a plastic shopping bag, the kind you get from any store, to protect from shipping damage or wetness.  I get far too many items loose in boxes, and I never ship without the items wrapped up.  Definitely some sort of packing material is required, from foam peanuts, to packing papers, to at the least newspapers (if the last method is used, you must have the items to be shipped wrapped up or bagged, as the newsprint can rub off on the item otherwise).  Make sure the box is sturdy, and secured with several pieces of clear packing tape. Hopefully these suggestions will help.

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:31 am 

I agree, Mags are best sent bagged, it doesn't take much movement for a cover to come off some of them.. modules baged as well if you can do it otherwise they should be fine. I always prefer baxed sets in a box with padding and not just wrapped in brown paper (as I have sometines gotten in the past...</shakes head>)

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:58 am 

Thank you for the tips.  I've finally put up all my magazines on eBay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT ) for example.

Some of them have their original mailing wrappers, do you think those are adequate with appropriate packing?

I looked into Mylar bags, and they are relatively expensive. ($38 per 100)  This was based on the article here on the acaeum regarding storage as the best solution.

Are the Polythene bags ok in your opinion for magazines?

Thanks in advance

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:04 am 

Are the Polythene bags ok in your opinion for magazines?

i use polythene bags and acid free back boards for all my Dungeon magazines, never had a problem with them.

-dave